Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Monster Settings and sounds problem

This Gold Monster thing confuses the heck out of me. Granted it has produced gold 3 out of the 6 times I have had it out. The 1st outing I ran it in shallow and without the black square. After watching Bills video I ran the machine in deep with the black square...

Here is the problem I can not hear a difference in the sounds of gold at any depth? It could be a Mine lab thing but with the Gold Bug 2, I could be looking out into the surroundings swinging the coil and hear the sound of gold. The Monster it all sounds the same and the darn little bars go right then left... then it will stay left until some material is moved then go right...left.

Any clarity in the sounds and bars or settings would be appreciated. 

I would love to help you, but I 4am wondering the same thing. I have a LOT of hits that do the left-then-right thing. I usually just dig it when it does that... and it always turns out to be trash. I don't want to walk away because each target could be "the one". I have laid small nuggets on the ground and swing over them and they sound the same as every lead bullet that I dig. I'm anxiously awaiting the responses to this thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Coffee said:

I would love to help you, but I 4am wondering the same thing. I have a LOT of hits that do the left-then-right thing. I usually just dig it when it does that... and it always turns out to be trash. I don't want to walk away because each target could be "the one". I have laid small nuggets on the ground and swing over them and they sound the same as every lead bullet that I dig. I'm anxiously awaiting the responses to this thread. 

Be careful, I've had flat nuggets and coins that where turned up on their side do the same thing. hit skip, hit skip back and forth side to side. then swing top to bottom it should be a clear hit.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

Unless it's a hot rock that I can kick out of the way, I dig it up. If it's an area that you can't take a step without digging trash, you might have to resort to discriminate (Shallow) mode. 

3 out of 6 times you've found gold? Whatever you are doing, I'd say you are doing it right, and in the right area. 

I'm on the "2 days out of 100" plan, so far.:Detector:

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1

Do not trust the discriminator.  A lot of times it will show ferrous initially, until you get closer.  

As for the sound ... the gold monster is pretty loud all the way around.  And when you get the static scratching sound, you are likely going to have to break out your tweezers to pick it up.

Andyy

Picked one up from Bill today. After putting it together off I went to the tailing pile in my backyard.  Two tiny pieces of lead then a flake of gold. I'm happy!  Always remember Mike's beer can nugget. 

MVIMG_20190402_150850233.jpg

• well done 1

When I watched Bill in action with the monster I thought this is the perfect detector for testing new areas.  My intention was not to find hundreds of dinks but looking for food for my gold well.  In my travels in the Superstitions I run into things or friends whisper in my ear.  Many locations to test lots of gold to find.  Plus most spots are not junked up. That and I need to find the source for this stuff. Couple fingers have pointed the way. A light hot unit is the way to go.  

FB_IMG_1473434332346.jpg

• well done 1
  • wow 2

Fishing8046 I train for Bill Southern and think a lot like he does ... after all he trained me on this machine! We both dig all targets! The indicator going left and right and back again is only telling you that there is a target there and it really doesn't know what it is. The only target I don't bother to dig is the cold rock that has a very distinctive growl to it compared to a more gold sounding target. On the monster you will not be able to tell the difference between lead, gold or a hot rock ... I have found at least with my miserable unaided hearing that they sound the same and therefore I can not pass them up! I have to dig. Do I dig a lot of trash? YUP! Do I dig a lot of micro nuggets as a result? YUP! Does 437 nuggets to make an ounce sound like tiny nuggets? LOL! yes that is how many my last ounce of gold from the monster took to make an ounce! If you are hunting in Auto one and deep like Bill and I suggest doing whenever possible you will find that the machine properly balanced will fall out of balance fairly quickly and needs re-balancing often. Remember that the machine needs a 'sampling' of the ground not just the traditional up and down balancing that we have all used in the past. So if you get a target that is fooling you and they will ... take the coil slightly off to the side and re-balance with the correct method and go over the target again. Same result then there is definitely a target in the ground ... dig it up! As an aside I have dug gold targets that stayed all the way to the left on the meter until I was on top of it and sometimes not until I had it out of the hole did it indicate full to the right. Dig all of your targets. Swing very slow ... creep is a good pace ... low to the ground and scrubbing the ground if necessary. If the machine talks to you it is telling you to get out the pick or scoup and go to work!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great info guys. I think I might just put a piece of tape over the bars so that it is all about the sound. 

What about hunting one setting up from the black square on deep?

15 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

What about hunting one setting up from the black square on deep?

That is the hottest setting on the machine. I have not found many place ... just a couple with mild ground ... that I can efficiently hunt in that setting. If you want to try a hotter setting than Auto 1 try Auto 2 ... all bars and center blacked out. If you can't balance the machine there you won't in Manual 10 either. Just as a guide no matter the setting ... if you can not balance the machine you are going to miss targets hunting in that setting. 

• Like 2

Hi you'all,

Heck, I have had the "Monster" for two years now and am still trying to figure it out.  I read any blogs and watch any u-tube videos about the gold monster, listening to what other users have learned and try to apply their ideas.  I am getting there.  I can pretty much tell hot rocks apart from ferric targets (re-training my ears) from my White's gold master 3 days.  Lead bullets still sound louder than gold but that may be because it is usually closer to the surface.

I heard from a video, that deeper gold can still show ferric on the scale and the best remedy for that is to just dig 2-3 inches of top soil off and the true nature of the target will begin to come through.

Yesterday I took my monster for its weekly walk.  Went to a small 3 foot wide wash that was very sandy and loaded with black sands.  The local bed rock is biotite granite and nuggets have been found up stream (I for one have found one).  I set the machine to auto 1 and after 15 to 20 seconds it finally settled down and became quiet.  Upon the first bedrock exposure I hit a loud target that showed ferric.  I really was curious as to what the target was.  About 5-6 inches down I got the target in the scoop and finally on top of the coil.  It was a bloody bullet (showing ferric).  This was proof to me that highly mineralized ground can and will prevent the gold monster from giving an accurate reading of the target.

I dug a lot of bloody lead yesterday and a few pieces of iron (rubbish as the Australians  like to say) Yea!  I still have that dreaded white stripped critter on my back.  Two months of punishment for many years of good days.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike 

I think I miss targets all the time with this machine!!! I got the machine I'm running from a guy moving out of town. It was a great deal. I can't tell you how many times I want to run back to the truck and grab the Gold Bug to be sure I'm not missing anything. But I think this thing might handle hotter ground and punch a little deeper so I stay with it. I am hunting tried and true ground that gives them up when you get your coil over them. 

Thanks for all the great replies!

The discriminator bar is plenty useful, but you have to understand some things.
1. All discrimination systems on ALL metal detectors only works properly only when centered over the target (and have a signal strong enough to analyze). I can make any detector discrimination indicate wrong by putting the coil near the target but not over it. While you are pinpointing and moving the coil around in and near the target to determine where it is, the discrimination means nothing. Only when you know where it is in the ground, then swing right over the top of it and take readings. A lot of new guys pinpoint poorly and this is responsible for a lot of the flipping back and forth. Coil control is important.
2. Sometimes even when pinpointing properly the discriminator will flip back and forth. This just shows the detector is unsure. You must dig to see.
3. If you go over the target 6 times and get 6 iron indications, its iron or a hot rock. If you get 6 of 6 non-ferrous, its likely non-ferrous. Its pretty accurate and helpful if you understand how to use it properly.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 4

So I bought Doc"s adapter for the Gold Monster so I could run my Nugget Buster Headphones. I would say that the earbuds were better for distinguishing the sound differences. I like being able to use the quality headphones again but they were yet another adjustment to a new machine and in my opinion, the earbuds are better. I would like some kind of bungey for the earbuds so they don't pop out of my ears when your tuning into a target.