Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Trailertrash

How to determine what type of gold might be in a placer area?

Total Newb question, but Google has let me down on this one.

Any tips on how to research a placer area to learn whether fine gold or nuggets were being found? 

Thanks, Kyle

The only way to be certain is test for yourself. What other find can be an indication but its not really "talked" about. Also what others find isnt always the only thing there . Feet must hit the ground... happy hunting!!

• Thanks 1
  • well done 1

2 hours ago, Knifemaker84 said:

The only way to be certain is test for yourself. What other find can be an indication but its not really "talked" about. Also what others find isnt always the only thing there . Feet must hit the ground... happy hunting!!

Thanks for the reply. Thought maybe there was some double-secret Google-proof source for that kind of information... I have been slowly learning this area all winter, climbing all over the place like a mountain goat. I've learned a lot by talking to every guy I meet in the field. Some are as lost as me, some are just plain crazy, and some of the "old hands" are full of priceless tidbits of info. Translating their stories into knowledge is half the fun. I particularly enjoy the "Guy's done ok up in that wash over there" (No arm gesture included, in an area of 500 washes) lol.

Regards, Kyle

The club I belong to, the GPAA,  has member reports that they print in the guide.  Examples can be "Fine Gold," "Dry Washing Only," "Seasonal Water." "Members report course to pickers."  With that, you'd have to match the placer to the club claim, if the club had a claim around the placer.  If you get to know some of these guys in the field, they may show you what their gold after trust is established.  The GPAA has many chapters in AZ each having monthly meetings.  The Roadrunners used to have monthly meetings.  A bit of what I find on google from the old AZ geological reports has vague references like lots of gold at 100' depth, but the same guy had the mine for sale.  Kind of like an art I think.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chrisski said:

The club I belong to, the GPAA,  has member reports that they print in the guide.  Examples can be "Fine Gold," "Dry Washing Only," "Seasonal Water." "Members report course to pickers."  With that, you'd have to match the placer to the club claim, if the club had a claim around the placer.  If you get to know some of these guys in the field, they may show you what their gold after trust is established.  The GPAA has many chapters in AZ each having monthly meetings.  The Roadrunners used to have monthly meetings.  A bit of what I find on google from the old AZ geological reports has vague references like lots of gold at 100' depth, but the same guy had the mine for sale.  Kind of like an art I think.

Thanks for the tip, Chris. I'll have a look at a current guide book. I haven't joined GPAA yet, but I bet I can scare up a book to look through. I am planning to visit Northern Arizona next winter, and Roadrunners is a group I plan to check out. Seems like a pretty well established club.

Regards, Kyle

I was going to join the GPAA once. Before I did, I called them to see if they had any claims in my area. They told me I would have to join first and then see..... That was enough for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Without Logging in, for the GPAA, I just put my town in Central AZ in the properties tab of their website, http://www.goldprospectors.org/Properties/GPAAClaimDirectory/Property-Profile/ClaimId/351/ctab/Reports#.XKKnwktPKUk and it showed about 50 claims from 38 miles away to 212 miles away.  You can even preview the first two lines of what other members have left for the getting there instructions, and claim reviews.  I think the Massey's are involved a lot less now, and the organization has made some improvements.  The website is probably more accurate than the guide, unless a new guide has come out over the last 12 months.  The GPAA publishes a journal every other months and they add and take out properties.  For Northern AZ, south of the grand canyon, there's claims by Gold Basin, and across the border in California, there's Barstow also.  I like the idea of Rodrunners, its just too pricey for me with the amount of times I actually find myself getting out.

Staking your own claim is not that hard once you figure it out, at least with an organization like the GPAA or Roadrunner, you know you do not need worry about being on someone else's claim and accidentally high grading it.  Plenty of other choices.  I just am unfamiliar with them.

• Thanks 1

Hey Chrisski, the Roadrunners still have their meetings the 3rd Thursday every month.

Are these meetings still in the American Italian Club in Phoenix?

Yes same place,7-9pm..................

Mindat is also a good reference.

• Like 1