Nugget Shooter Forums
Trailertrash

4500 draws first blood!

Not quite as dramatic as the thread title, but who can resist click-bait headlines?

Out hunting a claim I got permission for, where there has been a lot of placer work done over the years. I dug 3 bomb craters, for a piece of wire, a shotgun shell, and a Coors light can, along with some shallow trash. 

Found this tiny little specimen maybe an inch down. Really surprised the GPX heard it, but it was loud and clear. It's only .2 gram, but I am a happy camper. 

I can't seem to find an actual nugget to save my life, but these little specimens are cool too. I couldn't tell it was gold until I got home and looked through a loupe. I actually used my Gold Monster to pinpoint it, and the indicator was all to the right. I am very glad I didn't toss it in my trash pouch. It looked like any other tiny bit of junk.

Sorry for the lousy pic. I gotta find some bigger pieces, if for no other reason than it's damned hard to photograph a grain of rice through a loupe....

Back at it tomorrow, same place!

Regards, Kyle

image000000_01.jpg

• Like 12
  • well done 5

Congratulations, Kyle. Don't matter how small it is as long as it's yellow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Gonna drag Wifey out tomorrow. She can run the Equinox or the Monster, and I'll hit it with the GPX again. We should be able to cover the area very well that way. 

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trailertrash said:

Thanks guys. Gonna drag Wifey out tomorrow. She can run the Equinox or the Monster, and I'll hit it with the GPX again. We should be able to cover the area very well that way. 

Regards, Kyle

Man, that must be nice. My lady would NEVER go detecting with me. Good luck out there.

18 minutes ago, Chris Coffee said:

Man, that must be nice. My lady would NEVER go detecting with me. Good luck out there.

My Wife gets frustrated a lot quicker than me, but she enjoys going out for a couple hours. She has some choice names for the Gold Monster, that I can't repeat on a forum. Hot rocks make her grumpy... Lol

She just needs to find a piece for herself, and all will be well. Unless, of course, she sees a Tarantula. Hope the Minelab warranty covers "Used as a pogo-stick"....

Kyle

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

CONGRATS on the nuglet speci KYLE, don't be in too much of a rush to take the "wifey" along, you may have heard this before, however the "wifey" may start to "outdo" you, an we can't have that happen now ……….:head::head::head::head::snapoutofit:
Happened to me an a few others at one point !:old:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frank c said:

CONGRATS on the nuglet speci KYLE, don't be in too much of a rush to take the "wifey" along, you may have heard this before, however the "wifey" may start to "outdo" you, an we can't have that happen now ……….:head::head::head::head::snapoutofit:
Happened to me an a few others at one point !:old:.

Very true, Frank. It is a calculated risk, for sure. If she finds a piece of gold, there will be no stopping her. I think there may be some raccoon in her family tree, many years back. The attraction to shiny things is strong, in this one...

Perhaps that's why she puts up with me. The sun does glint off my reflective noggin in an attractive way, I'm told :)

regards, Kyle

Looks like a Kellogg's Frosted Flake. Nice find. Congrats.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Looks like a Kellogg's Frosted Flake. Nice find. Congrats.

Thanks, and yeah, I came so close to tossing it in my trash pouch.  In the field, without a loupe, all I could see was the iron and caliche. The only thing that saved the day was the non-ferrous indication on the Monster. Sometimes the "digital cheat" of target ID is worth it's weight in gold. At least .2g worth!

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1

Point is, "she'll" be bringin home the WHOPPERS an you'll be comin home with yer tail between yer legs ! :laught16:
Theres just somethin about them women an detectors !:idunno:

• Haha 1

Kyle great job on the specie! Let me, if I may, caution you going forward on something I find happen with many after their first nugget. One of the big issues I see all the time is the excitement over that first nugget carrying through to the next hunt. What that tends to do is to make the miner swing faster and cover ground in a very erratic manner. Next time out with the GPX concentrate on going SLOW and if you are thinking you are going slow enough try just a bit slower. I know that sounds corny but believe me as an instructor I see it all the time. The other and just as important is that no matter the coil in use practice over lapping the coil coverage on the ground. If you are using a mono overlapping 1/2 the length of the coil is important. You need not to over lap the DD coil as much but over lapping it as well insures that that deep nugget just off the edge of the coil as you pass over it is heard on the next pass. In other words concentrate on covering the ground in front of you 100%. It is not how much ground you cover but how well you cover the ground you are on. Lesson and sermon over! Good luck and I look forward to your next nugget pics.

One last thing on the GM1000 ... you need to be ground balancing that machine often ... especially when hunting in all metal/deep mode! I strongly suggest hunting in Auto 1(that is the first time the center turns black on the sensitivity) and deep mode whenever you can. Hunting in gold mode will lose you depth.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

Kyle great job on the specie! Let me, if I may, caution you going forward on something I find happen with many after their first nugget. One of the big issues I see all the time is the excitement over that first nugget carrying through to the next hunt. What that tends to do is to make the miner swing faster and cover ground in a very erratic manner. Next time out with the GPX concentrate on going SLOW and if you are thinking you are going slow enough try just a bit slower. I know that sounds corny but believe me as an instructor I see it all the time. The other and just as important is that no matter the coil in use practice over lapping the coil coverage on the ground. If you are using a mono overlapping 1/2 the length of the coil is important. You need not to over lap the DD coil as much but over lapping it as well insures that that deep nugget just off the edge of the coil as you pass over it is heard on the next pass. In other words concentrate on covering the ground in front of you 100%. It is not how much ground you cover but how well you cover the ground you are on. Lesson and sermon over! Good luck and I look forward to your next nugget pics.

One last thing on the GM1000 ... you need to be ground balancing that machine often ... especially when hunting in all metal/deep mode! I strongly suggest hunting in Auto 1(that is the first time the center turns black on the sensitivity) and deep mode whenever you can. Hunting in gold mode will lose you depth.

Thanks, Mike. I constantly remind myself to slowww down, and overlap consistently. I run the the motion setting in slow or very slow, as it seems to really quiet the threshold down, which also forces me to control my pace. 

Someone on here wrote "walk like your shoelaces are tied together". I run that through my head a lot, while I'm detecting.

I've run in to several guys in the field, that detect like fat Aunt Martha sweeping the front porch. They are a quarter mile away, before I've gone a hundred feet. Golf swing, coil 6" off the ground, \/\/\/\/ swing pattern, etc. I try not to be that guy! I could, maybe should say something, but then again, if there is a nugget up ahead, the turtle might get what the hare misses...

Good point on the Monster. I always run in Auto1. Sometimes on a really iffy signal, I've found dropping to the highest manual setting, balancing, and rechecking the target can deliver a better signal. 

Switching from Equinox/4500/Monster I do have to remember the Monster will balance out a faint target, with enough swings. Haven't missed gold that way, but almost missed a few birdshot, when I forgot that bit.

Back at it today!

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1

Nice find sir, congrats.  It did not take you long to make the new detector a producer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AllenJ said:

Nice find sir, congrats.  It did not take you long to make the new detector a producer.

Thanks, Allen. This an awesome machine. Still playing with settings, figuring out what works, and what doesn't. The ground here in Southern Nevada seems pretty mild, but the EMI can be a problem. I'm already looking forward to next winter down here in the southwest. Working all summer puts a cramp in the prospecting, but I can slow down and do some reading and research. Should have started with that, but the desert called more than the books!

Regards, Kyle

Edited by Trailertrash
Spelling

Gotta love gold any size, shap, or color

• Like 1