Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
middleforkminer2

Smooth bore vacuum hose???

Recommended Posts

 I was testing my gold vacuum this past winter, with some bird shot dumped in a gravel driveway and found that regular shop vac type hose was trapping most of the shot within the hose itself....boorb.....I kinda figured this might be a problem when I built it, but didn't realize how bad it might be.  I tried stretching the hose while it was running and it helped, but I still had about half the shot still rattling around in the hose.  I tried googling "smooth bore vacuum hose" but geeze, most of it looked either to thick to make it a good choice or too thin to use for rock and gravel.....anybody have the same problem or can suggest a good hose to use???

  • Hmmmmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as it's running hold the hose vertical and shake it while streching it out until you get to the vacuum. unhook and shake the last in a gold pan.

  • Hmmmmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only think of the clear PVC hose that you purchase at home depot.  Its available in 1.5 inch, maybe bigger.

I also think the vacuum is a tried and true method, so if the shot is not making it up, then something may be wrong with the vacuum.  IMO a functioning shop vac should pull the BBs through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the ID size of your vaccum hose?

I know that the suction hoses I have on my dredge are smooth on the inside and the high pressure hose from the pump is 1 1/2" and I know it comes in smaller sizes as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah you have to have smooth-on-the-inside suction hoses and pressure hoses. The other thing that many people do not check is the impeller inside their pumps. The "cleaner" the surface of that is the better the pump works. fwiw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always used helical coil vacuum pipe. Just like the vacuum hoses on a vacuum cleaner. Yes, gold will lay in the pleats of the hose. I just lift the hose up once in a while and shake it a little. It all goes down into the bucket. No problem.:idunno:

If you want smooth plastic pipe suitable for vacuum and pressure without paying a bunch get this stuff. Most agricultural and food processing plants have miles of it laying around. It is used often in heavy construction. It is GREAT for dredge and dry vacuum applications. 

Series BW Blue Water Multi-Purpose Low Temperature Suction and Transfer Hose

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I have always used helical coil vacuum pipe. Just like the vacuum hoses on a vacuum cleaner. Yes, gold will lay in the pleats of the hose. I just lift the hose up once in a while and shake it a little. It all goes down into the bucket. No problem.:idunno:

If you want smooth plastic pipe suitable for vacuum and pressure without paying a bunch get this stuff. Most agricultural and food processing plants have miles of it laying around. It is used often in heavy construction. It is GREAT for dredge and dry vacuum applications. 

Series BW Blue Water Multi-Purpose Low Temperature Suction and Transfer Hose

 

That Blue Water hose is a great hose remains very flexible even in cold tempatures, it's what I have on my dredge, it's also less expensive than almost all if not all other popular suction hoses and performs as well or better than all of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chrisski said:

I can only think of the clear PVC hose that you purchase at home depot.  Its available in 1.5 inch, maybe bigger.

I also think the vacuum is a tried and true method, so if the shot is not making it up, then something may be wrong with the vacuum.  IMO a functioning shop vac should pull the BBs through.

There's nothing wrong with the vacuum....I first tried it on my back pack vac then on the shop vac...same results....the best I can figure is that the same design that allows the hose to stretch is what traps the heavy stuff....I'll keep looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

There's nothing wrong with the vacuum....I first tried it on my back pack vac then on the shop vac...same results....the best I can figure is that the same design that allows the hose to stretch is what traps the heavy stuff....I'll keep looking.

There is nothing wrong with the hose either. Just lift it up and shake it a little before you dump the bucket. :idunno:

Even a smooth hose will trap a little material depending on how it bends and twists as you are vacuuming. You will still need to lift it up and shake it a little before dumping the bucket to insure there is no material left inside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob....I guess I wasn't clear enough in the OP....Even lifting the hose up, stretching and shaking it, it still traps the shot....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Bob....I guess I wasn't clear enough in the OP....Even lifting the hose up, stretching and shaking it, it still traps the shot....

Sounds like you need to get a new hose then. Most vacuum hoses won't do that. It will not be a problem finding one that won't trap material inside.

Why not use a hose from an old vacuum cleaner? They are smooth, crush proof, anti static and have all of the attachments. You can go to the local dump and find piles of them. How about using dust collection piping for woodworking equipment? Or the flexible pipe made for central home vacuum systems? 

Any hose designed to transfer material will work just fine. I can't imagine a hose on a shop vac that would trap bb's and not be able to shake them out but if that is the situation the hose is certainly not suited for use as a vacuum hose. Just replace it with a hose intended to convey materials and you will have no problems. There are hundreds of options besides the ones I have mentioned and posted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an Ridged electric 5hp wet dry vac. Remove the air filter is a must. I never have problems with much material being stuck in the hose with such strong suction. After more oz than I can count have been sucked up I strongly recommend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...