Nugget Shooter Forums

Hunting meteorites in the Sahara

Good luck! When I first started hunting for meteorites I was amazed at how many Arizona earth rocks would stick to a magnate. I am not sure what the Western Sahara geology is, but with that said when a rock sticks to your magnate look for secondary clues of a meteorite: fusion crust, regmaglypts and if you have the ability to make a window in the stone that is always the best way to determine if you have found a space rock. Happy hunting!

• Like 2

would recommend not using a magnet, fun checking with a compass some have poles others do not.

would hunt by sight and carry a camera, take a picture before moving them with an arrow pointing north.

find a patch then bring a metal detector. wear a wool black brim hat black t-shirt with long sleeve dark color long sleeve shirt black levi pants and good water.

me hunts them in summer months when it's 110-130 degrees in the shade and there is very little shade.

meteorites are common, the meteorite market put's word out that they are sarce in order to the price high. five to thirty dollars a gram is insanity.

have fun out there. sending you a PM.

• Like 1

You don't need metal detector to hunt meteorites. Just a strong nmagnet on a stick will suffice. It would be helpful if you had a four wheel drive so you can get around in the sand dunes. I would check every rock I see laying  around.

But is it legal in whichever country you're traveling to hunt meteorites?  We had a member on this forum who got hiimself into good.deal of trouble and cost $$$$$ to get out of. There could be a risk depending on where you go.

57 minutes ago, Morlock said:

You don't need metal detector to hunt meteorites. Just a strong nmagnet on a stick will suffice. It would be helpful if you had a four wheel drive so you can get around in the sand dunes. I would check every rock I see laying  around.

But is it legal in whichever country you're traveling to hunt meteorites?  We had a member on this forum who got hiimself into good.deal of trouble and cost $$$$$ to get out of. There could be a risk depending on where you go.

Oh yea I have a 4x4, and legality isn't an issue.

cruiser1.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Odinskind said:

Oh yea I have a 4x4, and legality isn't an issue.

cruiser1.jpg

I wish you the best of luck. Post photos of your trip. I'm sure others would be interested as well.

Odinskind,

Wow! I am excited for you. I have been to Morocco, but never had a chance to go out. It will be exciting to hear about your hunt.

Below is an example of what to look for, but you may find much smaller sizes. I always use a powerful neodymium magnet on a 3 iron. Look for the smallest rocks you can differentiate on the ground, marble sized is best. My friend hunted Antarctica on an authorized search. Their group found 396 meteorites with only one being the size of a small fist. You will certainly find numerous false magnetic rocks. Look for fusion crust not much thicker than your fingernail. Beware, desert varnish terrestrial rocks are very convincing and common. They should be much denser (heavier) than other same sized rocks. If the rock has small holes or bubbles it is very unlikely to be a meteorite. Look at lots of samples of common meteorites. Better yet, handle real meteorites. Honestly, your best bet is to visit local rock sellers in the markets. We wise, bargain, don't pay more than $0.20 per gram and probably MUCH less.

Happy hunting!

billpeters

image.png

Edited by billpeters
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wet/dry washer said:

why do some of you insist on using a magnet, when a compass works better.

has the "meteorite men" brain washed you?

It's pretty obvious you've never found a meteorite or else you would know.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

why do some of you insist on using a magnet, when a compass works better.

has the "meteorite men" brain washed you?

Good point Wet/dry,

I posed your compass vs. magnet hunting issue to Laurence Garvie, Center for Meteorite Studies Research Professor (FSC) Faculty & meteorite analyst. Here is the dialogue stream:

Laurence,

A short question. I have one person insisting that you should not use a neodymium magnet to hunt for meteorites, but rather just a compass. Yes/no, thoughts?

Bill

Hi Bill - a magnet will erase the natural magnetism of the sample. This magnetism is important for palaeomagnetic studies of meteorites. However, such measurements are unlikely to be made on meteorites found in the deserts. So, I don't think it's a problem for the hunting here in the desert. However, I would not suggest using a magnet for a recent fall though.

best

Laurence

Hope this helps,

billpeters

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, fredmason said:

It is much easier to get a magnet to stick to a golf stick than a compass...

A statement only a meteorite hunter would understand, lol.

• Like 2