Nugget Shooter Forums

Been a while, need some opinions

Picked this up at a small rock shop in Ohio. No labels, no idea where it's from. My original thought was calcite on quartz without looking closely. Emailed seller, they say aragonite.  There is a strong reaction to vinegar. But when I tried to scratch the crystals themselves, I can't discern any visual or tactile evidence of scratches from steel, quartz, or from an aqua. The hardness surprised me. The smaller crystals on the matriz must be calcite . Any thoughts? 

IMG_20190324_081323.jpg

IMG_20190324_081407.jpg

IMG_20190324_081310.jpg

IMG_20190323_190133~2.jpg

IMG_20190324_081335.jpg

IMG_20190323_190121.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like some sort of copper sulphide with all of the thin green layers. Cool looking rock.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Looks like some sort of copper sulphide with all of the thin green layers. Cool looking rock.

You're right Dan. I think what he has is malachite and calcite. Malachite is copper.carbonate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Morlock said:

You're right Dan. I think what he has is malachite and calcite. Malachite is copper.carbonate.

It's definitely malachite. The crystal itself was confusing me. I tried scratching it with all that stuff and nothing was working for me. I stopped fussing with it and broke a small crystal off. I'm pretty sure now that it's calcite. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Dan....

By the way, if you and your family ever  go to you know where for turquoise, again.... post some pictures. 

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Dan....

By the way, if you and your family ever  go to you know where for turquoise, again.... post some pictures. 

Oh i will for sure. Just waiting for dry dirt now haha.

Calcite and aragonite will both react to vinegar since they are both calcium carbonate. The difference is just in the way the molecules are stacked. Calcite has a trigonal crystal system whereas aragonite is orthorhombic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1