Nugget Shooter Forums

I have been looking around YouTube and other sites trying to get some comparisons between the Advantage and the Evolution coils to no avail. Looking at a couple of dealers sites both models still run pretty much the same price. With the Evo being the new line, shouldn't the Advantage line drop in price? What is the biggest differences between the two? TIA

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chris Coffee said:

I have been looking around YouTube and other sites trying to get some comparisons between the Advantage and the Evolution coils to no avail. Looking at a couple of dealers sites both models still run pretty much the same price. With the Evo being the new line, shouldn't the Advantage line drop in price? What is the biggest differences between the two? TIA

Hey Chris, you might go directly to Nugget finder's website, and snoop around there. There is a section that explains the difference between flat and spiral windings in the two different coil types. I was just looking at the 15" round Evo. I talked myself right back out of it when I saw the price tag. 

When I find some gold, and can honestly say I "need" another coil, I might get one. Right now, I am heavy on detectors, and light on the gold. Lol

As for the actual "in the field" difference, I have not a clue, but I bet you get some replies from guys who run them.

Regards, Kyle

• Like 3

Chris, I am not a dealer and have no dog in the race...my opinion is that there is not much difference in major manufacturer coils...I used coiltek and Nuggetfinder and I ended up using mostly Commander coils by Minelab- and they are usually cheaper.

I am not telling what to do or not do, however...

I suggest to anyone foolish enough to ask (you didn't) that they don't need more than two or three coils; small,  stock and maybe a larger elliptical.  Every time new coils come out the new users say they are the best ever, maybe and maybe not. 

What you need is to put your stock coil on and learn to use it and learn to find gold...new and more coils will not do that. You will do that.

If my memory is correct you went through a bunch of detectors and gear and places and did not find much gold...the gold was there you just needed to spend more time learning.

Practice,  Practice and  practice...

best wishes fred

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Chris, I am not a dealer and have no dog in the race...my opinion is that there is not much difference in major manufacturer coils...I used coiltek and Nuggetfinder and I ended up using mostly Commander coils by Minelab- and they are usually cheaper.

I suggest to anyone foolish enough to ask (you didn't) that they don't need more than two or three coils; small,  stock and maybe a larger elliptical.  Every time new coils come out the new users say they are the best ever, maybe and maybe not. 

What you need is to put your stock coil on and learn to use it and learn to find gold...new and more coils will not do that. You will do that.

If my memory is correct you went through a bunch of detectors and gear and places and did not find much gold...the gold was there you just needed to spend more time learning.

best wishes fred

Hi Fred, your memory is absolutely correct. I went through a lot of stuff that didn't help me one bit... because I didn't know how and where to use them. After reading everybody's replies to my recent questions I have decided that, like you mentioned, I am only going to incorporate 3 coils (technically 4 because of the 2 stock coils). Rob was awesome enough to have a NuggetFinder Sadie coil drop-shipped to me which I received today. So, in addition to those 3 coils, I want to EVENTUALLY add a large elliptical coil to the arsenal. But until that happens I will spend as much time as I can using and learning my machine.

• Like 5

I just finished "reconditioning" an ol Nuggetfinder 10" fiberglass disk. :brows:  I came into.
I'm actually excited about takin it out for the 1st time. :snapoutofit:
An I'm goin to a place that has had detectors over it since the 1970's. :yikes:
I witnessed a 3.2 DWT. nugget come out of a 24 inch deep hole in a mountain wash a few years back with it.
Coils an detectors are like "slot machines" :nutty:  its not the "seat" when ya see someone WINNING, its the ass that's in it :laught16:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • well done 1

Heck yeah, just run the 11 inch commander mono for a while until you get it figured out. Nice and lite and has pretty darn good depth on big gold and surprisingly sensitive to small gold. Then move on if you feel you need to. 

Good luck. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, fredmason said:

best wishes fred

Could be the best "advice" you could get on this or any other forum. You can only gear up so much, until you risk becoming psychologically dependent on the next new thing syndrome. In general, what I have found a need for in a detector/coil package is the potential for reasonable depth capability, and a good ability to handle mineralization. That's the basics (at least for me) A PI, a VLF, and about 3 coils, (as Fred suggested)  A lot of other factors may come into play depending upon the individual, but Fred's take on the subject is spot on. Keep in mind that successful gold hunters in the past learned to use the gear they had. Many, only had one detector and one coil but they usually invested considerable time in learning how and where to waive the coil they had.

• Like 5

I agree with BMc, that is a great bit of advice from Fred.

The stock Minelab coil is an amazingly good coil. Don't make the mistake of thinking the latest coil will be the thing that finds you gold. That will not be what finds gold. It will be your ability to correctly use any coil, on the right ground that is holding gold, using a well-tuned and correctly set-up detector. Oh and patience really helps. Best of luck, it will happen.

• Like 5
  • well done 1

Hey trailertrash, flat and spiral wound coils are the same thing. The one it is compared to that came before it is bundle wound. NuggetFinder coils, both the advantage line and the evo line use litz wire which is a higher quality wire which will get you more sensitivity. The spiral (flat) winding is laid down in a side by side manner and will gain you greater depth and will again increase your sensitivity. The one minor drawback of spiral wound coils is it does not pinpoint like a bundle wound coil with a sweetspot on the edge. It will be in the center of the coil. If my memory is correct coiltek also runs litz wire on the elite coils as well in edition to the new spiral (flat) winding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goldseeker4000 said:

Hey trailertrash, flat and spiral wound coils are the same thing. The one it is compared to that came before it is bundle wound. NuggetFinder coils, both the advantage line and the evo line use litz wire which is a higher quality wire which will get you more sensitivity. The spiral (flat) winding is laid down in a side by side manner and will gain you greater depth and will again increase your sensitivity. The one minor drawback of spiral wound coils is it does not pinpoint like a bundle wound coil with a sweetspot on the edge. It will be in the center of the coil. If my memory is correct coiltek also runs litz wire on the elite coils as well in edition to the new spiral (flat) winding.

I will amend my terminology accordingly. Ten years in the gun business, and I visibly cringe when I hear the term "clip" used to describe a magazine... Thanks for the heads up. Lol

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Trailertrash said:

I will amend my terminology accordingly. Ten years in the gun business, and I visibly cringe when I hear the term "clip" used to describe a magazine... Thanks for the heads up. Lol

Regards, Kyle

Haha the dreaded "clip" term. I hear ya. 

The 15 inch evo is an amazing coil. Its amazing the size of crumbs it will find.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents:inocent: the new coils are better than any boat anchor commander coils-Are they worth the high price tag thats up to you everything in this hobby is expensive :idunno:- In my book they are if they offer any more depth and sensitivity advantage over stock or previous aftermarket coils and they definitely do Ive used both the Coiltek elites and the NF evos the elites seem more sensitive but are heavier than the evos but the evos seem built better both have good depth :head:-all it takes is 1 mm of depth better than the previous series of coils to find a target everyone else walked over because they didnt hear it-do you want to be that one:yikes:.Some food for thought :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

• Like 4

Thats so true Mike. That tiny fraction of depth can and will make a huge differance of hearing a nugget or not. And when you think of every pass of the coil scanning over a millimeter or half an inch of ground, the accumulation of detectable material adds up quick.

• Like 1

I run mostly Minelab coils on my Minelab's..... My 2 aftermarket are NF..... :m2c:

• Like 3

Have not had one coil not find me gold ....for the exception of one my  15" Detech DD and that was because I have not put a nugget under it. 

• Like 3

Just for the record If anyone is wondering if I am not running the 8" Commander on my GPX5000 I will be running a 14" NF Advantage.

• Like 1