Nugget Shooter Forums
Missy

Bones coming through!!??

This is a GIANT rock that was unearthed on my property during build in 2002! What started out just a huge round boulder, has definitely worn down over time! Over the years many unusual and interesting things have shown through! I have discovered bones coming through on this rock! I'm no expert! I would love to know what these bones come from!!! 

IMG_20190110_160227809.jpg

IMG_20190110_160708675_BURST002.jpg

IMG_20190110_160703359_BURST009.jpg

I would think they are inclusions of minerals instead of bones, but what do I know.

• Like 1

That is very interesting how the rocks have weathered but leave those protrusions out.  If its on your property, I'm guessing that someone locally may be able to tell you something about it like a college or local rock club.  I'm thinking that its something unique to your local area geology.

Same here. I think they are just a harder or more resilient mineral to the weathering process. 

Posted (edited)

Not bones unless someone was engulfed in that boulder millions of years ago. 

Natural erosion process within the boulder.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 2

I don’t think you’ve got a boulder at all. I think you’ve got a clump of very hard dirt with some rocks and dead tree roots in it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d_day said:

I don’t think you’ve got a boulder at all. I think you’ve got a clump of very hard dirt with some rocks and dead tree roots in it.

You're probably right. A boulder wouldn't erode that fast.

• Like 1

Well, to be honest with you, there is no one around that is able to tell me anything about this! Unfortunately, I live in such a small town Soo very far from what I would say " knowledgeable" sources! And it is one of those things I guess you'd have to be here in order to get the most impressive view of this rock! I know without a doubt these are bones coming through! Believe it or not.... Lol we have actually had someone actually think they would be able to steal this rock by coming in the middle of the night with a truck and trailer and load it up!! Boy were they wrong! The only thing they ended up with was " no transmission!" 🙈....... I just wanna say " Thank you" for everyone's comments and insight! I absolutely LOVE this Forum! ..................... Missy👽........ I posted a few more pics.... 

IMG_20190110_160113897.jpg

IMG_20190110_160202432.jpg

IMG_20190110_160143634.jpg

was it exposed when you moved there, contact someone with a X-RF gun and have scanned. local college help. outer space?

No it was not exposed! My stepdad dug it up out of the ground just in front of where it is placed now! That is only half of it! The other half broke off and he said it was just beat back down into the ground probably 100 ft north of where it is! I stated previously that it was dug up in 2002, but I was wrong! It was actually 1998 when we purchased the property!! & Thank you for your insight!!! 😁

Missy, 

I have many relatives who live in Florida and I know for a fact that Florida has very few if any true rocks throughout most of Florida, with the exception of maybe the panhandle....BUT what the state does have is lots of ancient coral and agatized coral, the state rock/stone is agatized coral, in most states if you dig deep enough you will eventaully hit bedrock, not so in Florida..but if you dig deep enough you will hit coral most everywhere, the majority of the state sit on this ancient coral and it is used or once was as building materials just as rock and stone is many other places.

I think this is what you have, a BIG chunk of coral, as far as the "bones", I guess that when the coral was alive and growing it could have grown over and or on a dead animal skeleton of some type.

• Like 1
  • well done 1

sure is awesome, must have value if someone was trying to steal it.

Cap rock is what it is, I've broken way too many with a sledge years ago when I was a young buck.
Its used in ornamental applications fireplaces etc.

14 hours ago, Morlock said:

You're probably right. A boulder wouldn't erode that fast.

Exactly why I said that.