Nugget Shooter Forums

Good looking ground?

I have an area I found that I am interested in hunting based on what little I know about where to find gold. These are pictures of the ground in the area that to me look real promising. There is this type of ground for at least a couple of square miles... literally... and the soil is a reddish color, broken iron-stained quartz everywhere, many contact zones where the quartz veins meet schist, desert trumpet plants all over, and a few old tailings here and there. What do you guys think? Would you hunt the area? I know it may be hard to tell just by these pics, but just want an idea. 

20190310_171112.jpg

20190310_171122.jpg

20190310_171125.jpg

• Like 1

I would say if gold has been found there before then yes it's a good place to hunt, if it hasn't been hunted to death but even then there always seem to be a missed nugget or two in most areas, what the history is in an area is your best friend and the only way to make friends with that history is research!

• Like 6

Definitely research it. Find any records possible for where you want hunt then go from there. Look for old workings etc. Does that mean there is no gold there if you dont find anything while researching or no old workings? Heck no. But to start off finding gold, like Skip said, go where gold has been found. Helps your chances a lot. Good luck Chris.

• Like 1

Personally Chris, based on looks alone I don't see much that I would get excited about. I'm not seeing a lot of iron stained quartz you were talkin' about and not a bunch of other signs of mineralization, like red stone, green stone, black (or dark stone that is magnetic), magnetite etc. You can stick your magnet in the ground to check minerialization. The black sand in the soil gives you an idea of how hot the ground is. More is generally better. The ground looks a little loamy. Might be a ways down to bedrock and you didn't mention bedrock being visible anywhere. (not that it has to be but It sometimes helps to show how deep the gold might be)

The red dirt might be an indicator but that's not always the case. The tailing piles might get you started, if you think it's old timer's workings and you are in gold country. I think I might want to check the low spots/drainages, if there's some exposed bedrock, so much the better. Those contact zones sound interesting, (as a place to concentrate), especially if you can identify color changes along the length of travel. Finally, schist can hide gold pretty well. If it's shattered and will break up easily, could be worth while to dig into. VLF's sometimes have a problem hearing small gold in schist, unless you open it up a bit, but a PI seems to do OK.

Good Luck.

• Like 2

I can't tell you how many times I thought there wasn't gold in an area, only to be proven wrong.  But …. generally, I at least like to start with some bedrock areas.  Are there hot rocks?  Bedrock and hot rocks are where I start.  But then when I gain confidence, I hit everything.

• Like 2

if you were there taking a Picture, why not get the detector out and swing for a hour or so...that is the way to find out.

My buddy and I found maybe three oz in an area that many people had driven by...some had swung a little but apparently only dug bullets and hotrocks.

fred

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, fredmason said:

if you were there taking a Picture, why not get the detector out and swing for a hour or so...that is the way to find out.

My buddy and I found maybe three oz in an area that many people had driven by...some had swung a little but apparently only dug bullets and hotrocks.

fred

Fred, I was detecting in another area that day and found this on the way out at the end of the day. I had a 3 hour drive home so unfortunately I didn't have the time to swing. I was literally only there long enough to snap a few pics and off I went. But it looked good, and after a little research today found that gold has been found within a half mile of this area, so hoping for a good outcome once the 4500 gets here. 😁

• Like 5

It could very well be one of those spots everyone drives by and one of those spots that wasn't worth the time of the old timers, but could be a bonanza for the modern detectorist. Heck check it out, it could be pretty good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nugget108 said:

It could very well be one of those spots everyone drives by and one of those spots that wasn't worth the time of the old timers, but could be a bonanza for the modern detectorist. Heck check it out, it could be pretty good.

Absolutely! And there are many examples of that principle all over the place! AZ and NV to be sure. In certain areas, much of the ground that turns up nuggets,  happens to be on the way to "better looking" ground. And don't forget the 4X4 trail goin' in! Honest to God, in gold country . . . even if you're takin' a P,  You've still got one hand free!  Statistically speaking of course. :)

• Like 3

I had a buddy that used to winter in Arizona, by Stanton. He and his friend drove on a trail every day to get to where they detected for nuggets. They drove back and forth on that trail dozens of times.

I went to that spot on the trail with my buddy, because he was excited to show me the place. It looked a lot like your spot, and now I'll tell you the rest of the story . . .

Well, one day, they stopped and pulled out the detectors to give it a try. They got a signal on the trail, yes, right on the trail! 

By the time they were done with the trail, and the margins along the trail in an area about the size of a couple of pickup truck boxes, they had over a pound of gold, a pound (after specific gravity tests on the specimens, the nuggets were easy to weigh!

I saw the gold, hefted it, saw the solid nuggets and the gorgeous specimens, and I was with my buddy when he found another gorgeous specimen in ground that looks remarkably like yours, along the margin of that same trail, within twenty feet of the original finds.

If you're in gold country, which you've already researched and found out your spot is, adopt the attitude that "you'll never know until you go".

Let us know how you do, when you go, and all the best,

Lanny

• Like 3