Nugget Shooter Forums

I currently own a Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and a Minelab Eureka Gold. I have arranged a purchase of a new GPX4500 that I will have in the next couple of weeks. 

Ok, so here is my conundrum! I am contemplating selling my two VLF detectors and picking up both a NuggetFinder Sadie coil and a NuggetFinder Evo Coil (either the 12x8 or the 14x9). I would kind of like to narrow things down to just one detector, but will one detector do everything? 

My thought is that I could use the Sadie coil first and cover a grid looking for the small dinks, then switch to the bigger coil and re-search for the bigger and deeper targets. I would like to hear some opinions from you guys! Should I sell the two VLF's and just use the GPX? Sell just the Eureka and keep the GM1000 and the GPX? Or keep all three of them? 

• Like 1

I would keep the GM1000 and also get the 4500. Sell the Eureka.

The PI will be good for deep ground and the monster for shallow ground and small nugs.

Tom H.

• Like 8

Keep the monster, I carry it while I am detecting with my 5000 then I can check targets closer to the surface and discriminate whether its ferrous or non ferrous. I have also seen where on porous nuggets, the monster will give off a good signal where as the sdc 2300 would not. The monster is one heck of a detector and do not ever get rid of it, it can always be the skunk buster.

• Like 2

IF you can keep the monster, i would. It would be nice to have a PI and a VLF in your arsenal. But of course it all depends on your finances and if selling both of them is the only means of setting up your 4500 to where you want it, then i would do what is needed too. But if i was able to keep one and still get my coils, then thats the road i would take.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

IF you can keep the monster, i would. It would be nice to have a PI and a VLF in your arsenal. But of course it all depends on your finances and if selling both of them is the only means of setting up your 4500 to where you want it, then i would do what is needed too. But if i was able to keep one and still get my coils, then thats the road i would take.

Thanks for the reply. Though selling both would certainly help fund the 2 coils I want for the 4500, thankfully it's not my only means. It's just going to take me a while longer to get set up how I would like... but that's okay! :)

• Like 1
  • well done 1
2 minutes ago, Chris Coffee said:

Thanks for the reply. Though selling both would certainly help fund the 2 coils I want for the 4500, thankfully it's not my only means. It's just going to take me a while longer to get set up how I would like... but that's okay! :)

Just a tip. I run the 15 inch EVO and what an amazing coil it is. Small specks to very sparsely grained species just hammer on it. For sure my favorite all round coil. Good luck to ya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep the GM1000 for the bedrock cleanup and to check your piles.  Get the GPX4500 and have it modded.  The Sadie coil was  my favorite. But I would try to get all of my coils with the flat wire, now.  It will get you about the same depth, but will get you smaller gold.  IMO.

• Like 3

Just like starting a new career, make your choice and stick with it for at least a year. REALLY get to know your equipment.

I would keep the 1000 and get a PI...

However, I have 7000 and equinox 800, full disclosure!

fred

• Like 2

From my "Newb" perspective, I'd keep the GM, and run the 4500 with the stock coils while you learn the machine, and save the $ for extra coils down the road. I have the same two machines, and would not trade the GM for "coil of the week", at my experience level. 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the 4500. I'm enjoying mine, after playing with it for about 40 hours. I have found better, deeper bullets with it, so far!

Regards, Kyle

• Like 2

Chris ... Keep the GM1000! Sell the Eureka! Buy the 4500 and GET SOME LESSONS ON IT! It will shorten the learning curve immensely. The stock coils on the 4500 work very well so I would learn the machine first and then get the newer coils if you feel you need them with the gold you get from learning with the stock coils. Seriously the stock coils are very good. My ONLY complaint with them is that they are round instead of elliptical. I have both the 4500 and the 5000 currently and an array of different coils. I have found that the 11" round DD coil is very good in hotter ground compared to the same size in Mono. And because of where I hunt a lot of the time I can hunt in cancel when I am near the power lines. Can't do that with a mono. Also if you feel you need to use a mono coil when you have the DD tied on it can be used as a mono just with a flick of the switch. I works pretty similar to a smaller mono but not to the level of the NF Sadie or Minelab 10x5 DD commander coil. I have both the Sadie and the Commander. I have more confidence in the Commander 5x10 DD coil than I do the Sadie which is a mono ... and may not still be in production. Just my thoughts for your consideration. Good luck no matter what direction you take. They will all find gold so long as the OPERATOR knows how to best employ them.

• Like 2
On 3/12/2019 at 12:02 PM, Mike Furness said:

Chris ... Keep the GM1000! Sell the Eureka! Buy the 4500 and GET SOME LESSONS ON IT! It will shorten the learning curve immensely. The stock coils on the 4500 work very well so I would learn the machine first and then get the newer coils if you feel you need them with the gold you get from learning with the stock coils. Seriously the stock coils are very good. My ONLY complaint with them is that they are round instead of elliptical. I have both the 4500 and the 5000 currently and an array of different coils. I have found that the 11" round DD coil is very good in hotter ground compared to the same size in Mono. And because of where I hunt a lot of the time I can hunt in cancel when I am near the power lines. Can't do that with a mono. Also if you feel you need to use a mono coil when you have the DD tied on it can be used as a mono just with a flick of the switch. I works pretty similar to a smaller mono but not to the level of the NF Sadie or Minelab 10x5 DD commander coil. I have both the Sadie and the Commander. I have more confidence in the Commander 5x10 DD coil than I do the Sadie which is a mono ... and may not still be in production. Just my thoughts for your consideration. Good luck no matter what direction you take. They will all find gold so long as the OPERATOR knows how to best employ them.

Mike, thank you so much for your reply. It helped me more than you may think. The 4500 has been ordered and according to the shipper, and FedEx, it should be here Tuesday. Since I didn't do a whole lot of research before ordering, I didn't know anything about a 10x5 commander coil or I would have ordered that instead of the Sadie. I am going to take your advice and spend a long time learning the machine....something I didn't have the patience to do when I owned my first 2 GPX5000 machines! I'm really excited about getting out with this machine and hopefully, with enough practice and research, I can finally get a coil over some gold again. Listed the Eureka for sake on this and Rob's forum, as well as OfferUp, and not a single interest so I may just end up with 3 detectors after all unfortunately. 

• Like 1

I totally agree with Mike on the 10x5 commander coil. It is a very capable coil. I need to get another one soon. Good luck Chris.

• Like 1

There would be no life without a VLF in my life.   PI's are super duper but not a Do ALL.    Selling both VLF off would be a mistake Sir !

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, homefire said:

There would be no life without a VLF in my life.   PI's are super duper but not a Do ALL.    Selling both VLF off would be a mistake Sir !

I agree wholeheartedly, good sir! ☺

May I pose another question.....

There was a mention in an earlier response to buy the 4500 and have it modded. Is Peter Woodland still doing mods on the 4500's? Who would be the I've to mod it and what is the average cost to have it done? Obviously having the mod done would void the warranty, so is the trade-off of losing the warranty for the modification truly worth it? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chris Coffee said:

There was a mention in an earlier response to buy the 4500 and have it modded. Is Peter Woodland still doing mods on the 4500's? Who would be the I've to mod it and what is the average cost to have it done? Obviously having the mod done would void the warranty, so is the trade-off of losing the warranty for the modification truly worth it? 

2 hours ago, homefire said:

I'm clueless on that question.   Modding a New Machine ?   Emmmmm   Bad Ju Ju

I tend to agree with Homefire, use the 4500 first until you learn it...then and only then consider on modding it, if for some reason you decide to later sell the 4500 you will probaly have a better chance selling it in orginal condition especially if it still has some of the warranty left on it..

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

I tend to agree with Homefire, use the 4500 first until you learn it...then and only then consider on modding it, if for some reason you decide to later sell the 4500 you will probaly have a better chance selling it in orginal condition especially if it still has some of the warranty left on it..

Better chance of MINE LAB fixin the thing if it craps out. 

Ok, the Mother Ship must be back again. It's Snowing here in Southern  N.M. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Chris Coffee said:

Chris, 

I thought I might win the "gung ho" award for the month, but you passed me for the lead with the mod questions.. lol

I only joke about it based on my first few weeks with my new 4500, and my personal ability to learn new machines. I pick things up pretty quick, and the stock 4500 has more than enough things to fiddle with, to keep me busy (and scratching my head), for another few hundred hours, at least. If you ran in to me in the field right now, there's a good chance you might find me sitting on a rock. Sandwich in one hand, 4500 manual in the other.

I get it, though. I found one tiny specimen in January, with my Equinox. Now I have a 4500, and a Gold Monster.

The funniest part of it all? Based on the shallow depth of the one little piece I found, I am pretty sure my Garrett Ace 250 would have found it just fine...

Glad to see I'm not alone in my newest addiction!

Regards, Kyle

• Like 4

The main advantage of the mods as I see them, are the increased adjustability of the detector.

If you already know the machine, you can tweak, and get a little more out of it in the right conditions.  Coil size, gold size, depth, etc....

The stock 4500 is going to be just fine un-modded.  Once you've found some gold with it, then you can make a better decision about spending another $1800 on your detector.

The main thing is getting out there.  If you can't find anything with a stock detector, the mods probably won't help either.  :head:

Luke  :)

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, Trailertrash said:

Chris, 

I thought I might win the "gung ho" award for the month, but you passed me for the lead with the mod questions.. lol

I only joke about it based on my first few weeks with my new 4500, and my personal ability to learn new machines. I pick things up pretty quick, and the stock 4500 has more than enough things to fiddle with, to keep me busy (and scratching my head), for another few hundred hours, at least. If you ran in to me in the field right now, there's a good chance you might find me sitting on a rock. Sandwich in one hand, 4500 manual in the other.

I get it, though. I found one tiny specimen in January, with my Equinox. Now I have a 4500, and a Gold Monster.

The funniest part of it all? Based on the shallow depth of the one little piece I found, I am pretty sure my Garrett Ace 250 would have found it just fine...

Glad to see I'm not alone in my newest addiction!

Regards, Kyle

Good morning, Kyle. Yes, it is very easy to get addicted to this hobby. I first started on these forums, and detecting, probably 8 or 9 years ago. Bought a 5000 from Rob Allison with a crap load of accessories, used it for almost a year and got frustrated and sold it. After that I bought a Eureka Gold (same situation), then a X-Terra 705 Gold Pack (same situation), then a Whites GMT (same situation), then a SE Pro (same situation), then a Gold Bug Pro (same situation), then a Gold Bug 2 (same situation), then ANOTHER 5000 and kept that one until I went through my divorce 4 years ago and had to sell it. So, after all the times I got frustrated for not finding anything, here I am the owner of a Gold Monster, a Eureka Gold, with a 4500 due to be delivered on Tuesday! It is hard to go away and stay gone. This time, even if I get frustrated, I'm NOT selling off the detectors though. I always come back to the hobby so why have to start over every time? 

I WAS a little concerned with the whole modding thing because of warranty service and all, but only considered it after watching some of Woody's YouTube videos. My problem has always been, and still is, getting in the right place to get the coil over gold. Plus, sometimes I just get fed up with digging up bullets and aluminum foil and just throw in the towel for the day. I know digging trash is part of the game, but it really blows my mind when I find bullets, aluminum foil, pellets from pellet guns, paper staples and such after hiking 2 or 3 miles into nowhere to hunt. I just need to really put some effort into learning where to look for gold. I guess at this point a modded detector would just help me find more trash...lol.

• Like 5