Nugget Shooter Forums

Getting a few hours in with my new 4500. No gold to show for it, but learning how to run the beast is keeping me busy for now.

My question is, am I giving up depth or sensitivity running in General mode, as opposed to Deep?

The manual is decent, but it's a little lacking on the "why?" as it applies to some settings.

I have been running in Sensitive extra, fixed GB, Mono (using stock 11" commander), RX gain around 11-12, and stabilizer near factory preset.

When I switch to Deep mode, the EMI is pretty bad. Bad enough I don't trust it to not mask a faint target. I can back the gain down some, and get it to even out.

Bottom line, is General with higher gain as good as Deep with a reduced gain setting?

I'll be catching up with Bill this fall for some training, but I want to nail this down as best I can beforehand. 

Thanks, 

Kyle

Never used that machine but it's a fact that if you crank up the Gain your cranking up the noise too.  Just saying.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homefire said:

Never used that machine but it's a fact that if you crank up the Gain your cranking up the noise too.  Just saying.  

Very true. It's the Siren's song. Tempting, but sometimes not worth the result :).

I should add that turning the stabilizer up (down, by the numbers) will tame things down, but I have a feeling more stabilizer is not a good thing. Again, the manual is a bit vague on this.

Regards, Kyle

Question for you kyle, when you referred to the stock 11" coil, is this the (ML/11"Mono) coil you refer to ?
Or did you mean the Stock 11" DD  ?   :reading:.

5 hours ago, frank c said:

Question for you kyle, when you referred to the stock 11" coil, is this the (ML/11"Mono) coil you refer to ?
Or did you mean the Stock 11" DD  ?   :reading:.

Ooops, forgot that detail. I have been running the mono coil exclusively, so far. I should throw the DD on, just to make sure it works.

Kyle

Check these out , they should answer yer questions and give you some details as to what to do and when.
I've had my 4500 for awhile , however I am always learning and experimenting.

minelab-timing-example.jpg.6a785c847cbc371ae67633bd3898c44a.jpg

IMG_0524.JPG.dc6d1399718adec3416e9015c000a6c4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Frank!

I just started playing with the different audio types in the menu. "Boost" sure seems to make a difference on iffy signals, but is too noisy for general use where I am detecting. Lots to learn, that's for sure. 

Regards, Kyle

Front panel.  

General

Enhanced Mode

Fixed

Mono if using mono coil...

Back Panel....I usually run the Stab...2 -4 notches below my highest gain settings....If ground to hot, reduce gain. Don't over think it.  The more you use it the better understanding you will have. keep reading the owners manual. Watch some JP videos. Keep the coil low and swing slow if in a patch. Reground periodically if in hot ground. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Front panel.  

General

Enhanced Mode

Fixed

Mono if using mono coil...

Back Panel....I usually run the Stab...2 -4 notches below my highest gain settings....If ground to hot, reduce gain. Don't over think it.  The more you use it the better understanding you will have. keep reading the owners manual. Watch some JP videos. Keep the coil low and swing slow if in a patch. Reground periodically if in hot ground. 

I have not tried Enhanced mode yet... I was under the impression I would lose depth with that setting, but as I am quickly learning "depth" is a relative thing, based on how noisy the ground is. I'll play around with it. Thanks!

Kyle

• Like 1

The so called loss of depth is insignificant in my opinion. You wouldn't believe how tiny some of my gold pieces are found at very good depth. Get yourself three coils....small like a sadie, a medium one like a 11" mono and a 16" to 18" . Cover the ground you hunt with all three and you will have it covered....enhanced works well in medium and hot ground..Crank up the gain and go very slow. Well thats my 2,3,4,5, bits. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 2:56 PM, Relichunter2016 said:

The so called loss of depth is insignificant in my opinion. You wouldn't believe how tiny some of my gold pieces are found at very good depth. Get yourself three coils....small like a sadie, a medium one like a 11" mono and a 16" to 18" . Cover the ground you hunt with all three and you will have it covered....enhanced works well in medium and hot ground..Crank up the gain and go very slow. Well thats my 2,3,4,5, bits. Good luck.

Thanks, I give Enhance a try today. Heading out this AM to a new spot. Perhaps the grass is greener on the other side of the highway!

As for coils, I'm gonna have to stick with the stock 11" for now. Bought Wifey a new Jeep for sticking with me for 10 years. It also "just happens" to work pretty well for getting me in and out of a lot more places than a quad cab dually.... Funny how that works! Lol

Regards, Kyle