Nugget Shooter Forums

So the wind is blowing a steady 50 mph and gusting to 70 in spots. Visibility is about 300 yards. I just saw Homefire blow over my house. 

It feels like a sandblaster out there and will choke the heck out of you in just a few minutes. My eyes and nose are caked with it. Everyone headed west for more than a few minutes is going to ruin a windshield.

It is almost dark outside. One wicked azz haboob.

• Like 1
  • Irritated 1
  • wow 3
5 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

So the wind is blowing a steady 50 mph and gusting to 70 in spots. Visibility is about 300 yards. I just saw Homefire blow over my house. 

It feels like a sandblaster out there and will choke the heck out of you in just a few minutes. My eyes and nose are caked with it. Everyone headed west for more than a few minutes is going to ruin a windshield.

It is almost dark outside. One wicked azz haboob.

I hate this part of living here, but it's too dam cold to go North to get away from it. I have no doubt that Texas would have been a lot smaller were it not for these cyclonic dust storms here in NM. Can't do nuthin' but hunker down and ride it out.

• Like 1

When i lived in the western part of Nevada we would get huge dust storms ( haboobs ). Haha ill be honest, i had to look it up. The alkali flats would just cover town for hours at a time. The swamp coolers worked pretty good to keep the house pressurized for a while but then it would just cake the pads then turn to mud. They were horrible. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

When i lived in the western part of Nevada we would get huge dust storms ( haboobs ). Haha ill be honest, i had to look it up. The alkali flats would just cover town for hours at a time. The swamp coolers worked pretty good to keep the house pressurized for a while but then it would just cake the pads then turn to mud. They were horrible. 

Are we talking POO dirt Dan. Like flour when its dry and slicker than snot when its wet. :D

AzNuggetBob

Just now, AzNuggetBob said:

Are we talking POO dirt Dan. Like flour when its dry and slicker than snot when its wet. :D

AzNuggetBob

Thats the stuff Bob. Nice white poofy dirt, then the wind blows and takes off the top 3 inches of alkali. Then it "grows" another 3 inches and then the wind will blow that layer off right into town. Seems like the wind only blew after the alkali was done "growing" then it would cover town again haha.

• Like 1

Dan That's what we called it when I lived there.you could see people coming for many miles on the road by the big puffs of it when they hit chuck holes full of it.
We nick named it POO dirt short for poof. that stuff is so strange. I saw people drive over it slow and it would gush out of the chuck holes and run right back in almost like water when it was dry.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

WoW it was hooting here to Bob but not like that.     Was thinking the roads would be closing but it stopped as fast as it started.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, homefire said:

WoW it was hooting here to Bob but not like that.     Was thinking the roads would be closing but it stopped as fast as it started.  

That is a funny deal huh? Deming is usually the worst place you could be in a windstorm. Everyone agrees the haboobs are bigger in Deming.

Yesterday the whole Rio Grande Valley from Taos to El Paso was horrible. White Sands was borderline deadly. But when I looked at the NMDOT road conditions it was just a warning on I-70. 

It blew 50-70 mph in Las Cruces from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Then it rained (or mudded) until about 10:00 p.m.. We even got some hail late in the evening. Of course today was a brilliant blue day that was just about as perfect as you could ever want. Not even a puff of a cloud in the sky and we all sat in the sunshine and drank coffee and talked about how crappy the weather was yesterday. I'm still picking sand out of the corners of my eyes though.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Dan That's what we called it when I lived there.you could see people coming for many miles on the road by the big puffs of it when they hit chuck holes full of it.
We nick named it POO dirt short for poof. that stuff is so strange. I saw people drive over it slow and it would gush out of the chuck holes and run right back in almost like water when it was dry.
AzNuggetBob

We have that fine dusty dirt that you could paddle a canoe through too.  

When it gets wet in the late summer it is like Elmer's glue and when it is at moisture proctor in the fall it is as hard as pavement. After some freeze thaw cycles in winter it breaks up like rubble and by spring when it dries out completely it is like sifted flour again.  You drive though it up to the axles on some of those roads and it just moves around the tires like nothing. It'll choke the hell out of you driving with a bit of a tailwind and cover everything in a vehicle quick.

Isn't that the stuff those giant Nevada sandworms swim around in? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

We have that fine dusty dirt that you could paddle a canoe through too.  

When it gets wet in the late summer it is like Elmer's glue and when it is at moisture proctor in the fall it is as hard as pavement. After some freeze thaw cycles in winter it breaks up like rubble and by spring when it dries out completely it is like sifted flour again.  You drive though it up to the axles on some of those roads and it just moves around the tires like nothing. It'll choke the hell out of you driving with a bit of a tailwind and cover everything in a vehicle quick.

Isn't that the stuff those giant Nevada sandworms swim around in? 

We call that bug dust here. Your right, it flows like water. It usually happens here after there has been a ton of traffic in the hills during hunting season or down in the gold areas where people have been travelling all summer. Jeez it will get 2 feet or more in depth. Makes a mess.

• Like 1