Nugget Shooter Forums

There is an obvious skew in the field of meteorites.....

Strange, an entire field of study yet it is hard to get past the clear and obvious lack of useful and practical real information. In fact, the downright awkward nature of the void ultimately has to make one wonder why the well known guide is far more useless than helpful, if you were to follow that guide it would literally ensure the missing out of any less commonly found plethora of other entirely ignored meteorites types, classes, groups, etc. They are mentioned, and often include the same photos of the same meteorites, these are clean, museum finished and otherwise entirely useless for field hunting. The other of course interesting but still quite unhelpful photos are of the thin cross sections. These are not practical as the newcomer rarely has the ability to cut thin cross sections, even if he had the means, we are talking about knowing which rocks to even consider cleaning off, taking a look at, etc, in other words, practical information to find the best and most significant, rare, cool finds. 

And so, what could be afoot... without dropping the ball to speak, I hope that I am illuminated on the subject in the near future. This is not ideal. 

I mean, it is doable, enough can be found, the most useful material is in most expensive and least practical for those new to the field to lay out for. Most people do not seek out $300 textbooks when they arent even sure if they are in the field at all, as it tends to begin with the finding of an out of place, out of the ordinary rock. You see the dilemma I hope ... 

Trust me, the photo submission is entirely a waste in effort, and the museum clinics are somehow even worse. In neither case is there even the slightest effort made to seem diligent, scientific, let alone thorough, consistent or logical. I have seen such incredibly obvious ID errors that one wonders if these are just actors given labcoats and told to guess between limestone, sandstone and quartz. 

Lol.

• well done 1

SMH;

I do not understand your comments or questions...It may be that English is not your first language or you may be way to smart for me.

Either way, I want to exchange thoughts if I could only understand...

Bob,  will figure it out for me-I hope....

fred

• Like 5
  • well done 1

20 minutes ago, fredmason said:

SMH;

I do not understand your comments or questions...It may be that English is not your first language or you may be way to smart for me.

Either way, I want to exchange thoughts if I could only understand...

Bob,  will figure it out for me-I hope....

fred

Fred,

I think I can translate his native tongue into English. It has been a long time since I have conversed in Nebulous Doublespeak but I think I can give you the general idea.

I think he is saying his seasoning tastes better than the seasoning of the accepted meteoritic community (Nacho Cheese is a classic and tough to beat).

He evidently has one of those mets that the idiots in the met community can't recognize. It has all the characteristics of a brand new classification but none of the characteristics of any known meteorite. As a consequence posting a photo is useless because no one could recognize it anyway. Solid evidence of a rare find indeed! 

He has purchased some $300 textbooks and most people don't do that. I figure he is probably buying new from the University Bookstore rather than the used textbooks offered online. 

Actors in lab coats are telling him his rocks are not from space.

Other than that I cant make heads or tails of it either. Maybe he will enlighten us further?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SeasonedMeteoriteHunter said:

I mean, it is doable, enough can be found, the most useful material is in most expensive and least practical for those new to the field to lay out for. Most people do not seek out $300 textbooks when they arent even sure if they are in the field at all, as it tends to begin with the finding of an out of place, out of the ordinary rock. You see the dilemma I hope ... 

Trust me, the photo submission is entirely a waste in effort, and the museum clinics are somehow even worse. In neither case is there even the slightest effort made to seem diligent, scientific, let alone thorough, consistent or logical. I have seen such incredibly obvious ID errors that one wonders if these are just actors given labcoats and told to guess between limestone, sandstone and quartz. 

Lol.

Classic dichotomy of an anomaly . . .

I find Seasoned's Obvious Skew a delectable delight in the field of meteorites. Few others give us such an exquisite opportunity to tempt the palate. He teases us first with a quick view and sensual aroma of his main meteorite skew cooked to bubbly perfection to tickle our taste senses. You could tell right away by its texture, swirls, and iridescent coloration that is is going to feast to remember.  But then he backtracks by presenting us his word salad appetizer as a tasty first treat. And now the gathering awaits with eager anticipation the full experience of the main skew seasoned by his best presentation.

May the food critics be accurate, but kind.

Cheers!

billpeters

Slow-Cooker-Meteoite-Stew.jpg

Edited by billpeters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, billpeters said:

I find Seasoned's Obvious Skew a delectable delight in the field of meteorites. Few others give us such an exquisite opportunity to tempt the palate. He teases us first with a quick view and sensual aroma of his main meteorite skew cooked to bubbly perfection to tickle our taste senses. You could tell right away by its texture, swirls, and iridescent coloration that is is going to feast to remember.  But then he backtracks by presenting us his word salad appetizer as a tasty first treat. And now the gathering awaits with eager anticipation the full experience of the main skew seasoned by his best presentation.

Cheers!

billpeters

Dang it Bill now I'm hungry for some stew!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, billpeters said:

Cheers!

billpeters

Obviously a well seasoned skew! It looks delicious! With both carrotaceous and celeracious chondrules in a thick, beefy matrix!

I wonder what kind of streak it leaves under the toilet tank lid?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Obviously a well seasoned skew! It looks delicious! With both carrotaceous and celeracious chondrules in a thick, beefy matrix!

I wonder what kind of streak it leaves under the toilet tank lid?

It might take a bit of time before it would produce a streak Bob but I suspect the streak would be brown.

• Haha 1

Seriously though seasoned meteorite hunter is a skewed username to begin with it’s like false advertising in the grocery store, the only thing skewed here it the wrong skew on miss marked items. Show us all the real meteorites you found to accurately represent your username, I’m sorry to even say these things but you need to grow and mature and find actual meteorites before you claim to be a seasoned hunter. That means you need those expensive books probably or you need to take a step back and rethink the content you are posting!!!!

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 3

I think what they are trying to say is it is very difficult to find useful information to learn about meteorites, in which I totally agree. Most meteorites that we learn from are fresh museum pieces. This is not useful nor practical for the common folk that stumbles upon a suspect...or even an avid hunter who wants to make cold finds. I think everyone is assuming that he is boasting about his amazing finds, probably because of his name, but I didn’t read anything about that. I could make my name “superman” but does that make me superman?  

• Like 1