Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
beatup

Flint Knapping

I like to Knapp rock for relaxation and it is just plain enjoyable .IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3384.JPG

• Like 5
  • well done 7
  • wow 3

"WOW"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"   Those are "Beautiful!!!!!!!!"  You actually made them yourself??????   I had (when I was younger) actually found "authentic"-Indian-arrow and spearheads here in Arizona, and in Northern Nevada that looked just like those in the 2nd, 4th and the 6th photos.  That Obsidian one is gorgeous.  I had also found many small (bird and small animal) arrowheads over my younger years that had been formed and shaped just like yours.  The 3rd one looks like a Pedernalas point that is found around the Kerrville area of Texas.  I found a number of those on my old-navy-buddies ranch there.   You have quite the Talent.!!!......  I sold all of my real Indian arrowheads on Ebay over the last 2-3 years.  ........................................"GREAT POST"  ..........Gary  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Very well done. I would hope you have a presence on YouTube with your work? Would love to see the technique. My wife found this Spedis II on our property. 

Obsidian or smokey quartz in your opinion?

20181227_120333.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 2

Gary, I too grew up hunting arrowheads up in the Pacific Northwest ,i first learned to knapp from my uncle and his friends from the Umatilla  and Yakima nations when i was a youngster I just started knapping again about 5 years ago .

• Like 1

GeoJack it looks like obsidian to me but i know the local tribes in california did knapp a lot of quartz points have seen a lot of gunther points made from it.

• Like 1

Brett I still have the one you gave me a few years back. You do great work! 

• Like 1

Thanks Mike ,I got in a lot of practice  this winter since i did not make it down to detect this winter

• Like 1

15 hours ago, beatup said:

GeoJack it looks like obsidian to me but i know the local tribes in california did knapp a lot of quartz points have seen a lot of gunther points made from it.

My thoughts as well.

All I can say is WOW!!! Absolutely great work!!! How long did it take for you to get proficient in knapping?

• Like 1

Morlock it took a good two years to relearn again ,i stop knapping in the early 90's because of carpal tunnel in my right hand .

WOW!....incredible work. :thumbsupanim

Tom H.

• Like 1

One of my neighbors wanted a point made for a pendent for his wife so i made this one last night from Mexican royal velvet obsidian.

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

• Like 5
  • well done 2
  • wow 1

2 hours ago, beatup said:

One of my neighbors wanted a point made for a pendent for his wife so i made this one last night from Mexican royal velvet obsidian.

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

That's great material you worked with. I bet photos don't do justice. How much would sometime like that cost?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, beatup said:

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

That's some beautiful workmanship and the material is out of this world!!

I sure hope his wife wears that very carefully. looks like it would inflict a nasty wound if she's not careful!!

• Like 2

me partner has quite a few ancient palm agate tools. me have found some, look at them but never pick them up.

have worked in over twenty two metal and wood working shops we never use another one's tools without permission.

that ancient camp me found, large chunk palm agate they chipped their stone tools off of.

have to get back there someday take pictures.

Posted (edited)

1 more ,Mexican gold sheen obsidian looks like motor oil but in the sun light the gold sheen comes alive.

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

Edited by beatup
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

LipCa, Yea i have got several pieces of rainbow obsidian from Quinn. When i lived in Washington in my younger days i spent a lot of time down there collecting obsidian from those 4 mines .Here is a piece from the Pink Lady.

IMG_3683.JPG

Edited by beatup
  • Like 2

Mexican Peacock Obsidian

IMG_3626.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

• Like 2