Nugget Shooter Forums

Identifying stones from photos alone is difficult. Do you have more information, such as hardness and specific gravity? Can you take some clearer photos, maybe a little closer? It would certainly help.

Not sure on hardness or gravity or how to even find out I’m new to this rock stuff but want to learn as much as possible here is a couple more pics 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I could be very wrong as I'm not an expert, but ti sorta looks like black banded agate.

I'm no expert either. It looks like water worn banded basalt but probably wrong. Just a guess. Rocks are just so hard to indentify compared to minerals.

Anything we put forward without more info than just the pictures is going to be a guess. The white portion is pretty obviously softer than the rest of the stone, since you can see deeper wear near the edges. The white part is not much softer than the rest though, since it’s barely eroded more than the rest. It might be from a half to a full point softer on the Mohs scale.  Or it might even be the same hardness but appears to wear more quickly because it’s more crystalline than the rest. 

That being said, it looks a bit like a river worn jade with quartz veins. It also looks like it could be marble. There’s just no telling without more info.

Could be all sorts of things, calcite veins on limestone, quartz veins on a metamorphic rock, etc.

see if you can scratch the dark area and the white areas with a push pin or knife, that will give a starting point to finding out the hardness.