Nugget Shooter Forums
Craig T

SoCal - Nugget Shooting Clubs - Advice

New to Nugget Shooting, and gone out a hand full of times with my Gold Monster. At this time I have only been successful in finding lead and trash. I am currently a member of GPAA and AMRA, but still having trouble finding a club with active Metal Detecting members.  Any advices on clubs in SoCal that concentrate on Nugget Shooting?

Appreciate your time and advice.

Craig

Last weekend's Lead Nuggets pictured below.

Lead_Nuggets.jpeg

The targets you show mean you are not going to miss one if you get over it, Nice work

• Like 2

Thank you for the encouragement Bill.  I been studying your YouTube videos.  Office Time Practice.  Really appreciating you taking the time to post them.  Super helpful!

4 hours ago, fredmason said:

The Prospectors Club of Southern California...check their website

fred

Here is the link that Fred was talking about.

http://www.prospectorsclub.org/ 

We get out as a group to hunt every couple of months and many of us are members of other clubs as well.  We have a meeting in Downey every 3rd Friday of the month.  We have junior and senior panning contests, speakers and each week we show our 'Finds of the Month' which includes gold nuggets.  Some of the nugget hunters have a lot of experience in Barstow, The Dale and Big Bear to name a few locations.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

Mitchel,

Thank you for the link.  Looks like a great club.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:31 PM, Craig T said:

Thank you for the encouragement Bill.  I been studying your YouTube videos.  Office Time Practice.  Really appreciating you taking the time to post them.  Super helpful!

Craig,

I got the same answers you got when I started nugget detecting in 2010.  I thought I could pick up the GPAA book and just go out to a claim and find gold.  It took me almost a year for that first nugget and sometimes I feel like I'm starting over again.  I was finding lots of bullets and getting lots of trash in Arizona and California.  My dealer was in Prescott and I didn't really get a good training.  My ideas were not good ones for finding nuggets.  Later I became fortunate when I started looking for meteorites.  I was with people who were giving me good advice and gold just happened to be there also.

That is the first thing I'd do over again.  I'd go out with someone, even if I had to pay them and have them show me where they were finding gold.  The videos now are a great help.  I wasn't looking at them at the time.

Your Gold Monster will find the gold if you are on it.  That is the second point and perhaps 3rd and 4th as well.  If you want your first gold and it doesn't have to be 'big' then swing where others have been swinging before and you will get a nugget or two that others have missed.  Make a 5ftx5ft square around a dig hole and grid it slowly.  Dig every faint signal and you will be surprised the trash and nuggets that were missed.

Our old timers do it and if you read most of the posts on the forum here that is what others do.  They go back over diggings they detected weeks, months and years ago.

Mitchel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Your Gold Monster will find the gold if you are on it.  That is the second point and perhaps 3rd and 4th as well.  If you want your first gold and it doesn't have to be 'big' then swing where others have been swinging before and you will get a nugget or two that others have missed.  Make a 5ftx5ft square around a dig hole and grid it slowly.  Dig every faint signal and you will be surprised the trash and nuggets that were missed.

Our old timers do it and if you read most of the posts on the forum here that is what others do.  They go back over diggings they detected weeks, months and years ago.

Mitchel

Great advice but don't waste your time detecting my dig holes as you won't find s....

• Haha 4
  • wow 1

Joined "The Prospectors Club of Southern California".  Heading out to Randsburg tomorrow to get some practice time in, and hopefully that elusive first nugget.

Will report back on Monday.  

Thanks for all the great advice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig T said:

Joined "The Prospectors Club of Southern California".  Heading out to Randsburg tomorrow to get some practice time in, and hopefully that elusive first nugget.

Will report back on Monday.  

Thanks for all the great advice.

Randsburg is where I found my first nugget years ago. The best time to hunt is after a good sized storm. Check the gullies first.

Good luck.

• Like 1

That's my club Craig

Welcome aboard  .

Edited by H-2 Charlie
  • Like 1

does the club include southeast imperial county?

If my 2014 GPAA mining guide is still correct you can go out to the ADK claim in Goler Gulch. That will put you smack dab in the middle of a pretty good gold area. It's where I found my largest nugget which weighed nearly an ounce. I have found several nice smaller nuggets in the surrounding area since then with different VLF machines. However, I haven't been back out there in about 10 years so I'm sure it's been hit hard with PI machines by now. Still, you never know. Also, there's the stringer district on the other side of the valley near Randsburg. Really cool area, but keep an eye out for claim markers.

Spent half the day on the AMRA claim and the other Half at the SoCal Pospectors claim.  I had a good time, but no gold.  Maybe Next Time!

1334BB18-2F04-4329-8D35-F1A3292917A2.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Craig:

If you can make the monthly meeting tomorrow (Friday) in Downey, give me a tap on the shoulder and introduce yourself.  I've been known to put a few folks over some nuggets now and then.  I'd be glad to show you some spots.

Martin

• Like 2