Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Help me identify what type of meteorite I have


Recommended Posts

Hello folks,

I've been told to post here for more help in regards of a meteorite identification.

As I already said in my other topic:

1) The meteorite is way heavier then usual stone

2) Its super durable, took 1 hour to cut it and doesn't crack at all... 

3) Magnet doesn't get very attracted to it

4) It sounds funny when you hit it to the ground, sounds like the crash cymbal from drums.. sort of

 

1551299234591.JPEG

1551299240790.JPEG

1551300121805.JPEG

1551367916261.JPEG

1551367932846.JPEG

1551367956126.JPEG

1551367968894.JPEG

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is called a leaverite. Leave it on the table, but don't call it a meteorite.

Take a look at your rock(s). If it glistens like a crystal structure (ie: quartz) at any point in the rock it can’t be a meteorite. If it has layers, it can’t be a meteorite, it’s sedimentary. If it has small gas bubbles in it, it can’t be a meteorite. It’s basalt. If it is moderately magnetic it is not a meteorite. If there is a thick crust on it, it can’t be a meteorite. File off a corner or cut it. It won’t diminish it’s value. If there is all bright silvery metal it can’t be a meteorite. If it is all grey metal it can’t be a meteorite. If there is black crust as thin as a fingernail, and crazing on the outside of the rock, it might be a meteorite. If there are small silver specks visible in the filed off section, it might be meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the ASU Meteorite Center.

billpeters

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, billpeters said:

It is called a leaverite. Leave it on the table, but don't call it a meteorite.

Take a look at your rock(s). If it glistens like a crystal structure (ie: quartz) at any point in the rock it can’t be a meteorite. If it has layers, it can’t be a meteorite, it’s sedimentary. If it has small gas bubbles in it, it can’t be a meteorite. It’s basalt. If it is moderately magnetic it is not a meteorite. If there is a thick crust on it, it can’t be a meteorite. File off a corner or cut it. It won’t diminish it’s value. If there is all bright silvery metal it can’t be a meteorite. If it is all grey metal it can’t be a meteorite. If there is black crust as thin as a fingernail, and crazing on the outside of the rock, it might be a meteorite. If there are small silver specks visible in the filed off section, it might be meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks in the US, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or visit the ASU Meteorite Center.

billpeters

It has no bubbles in it, its already cut and i already show part of it in photo, how it looks inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of the specimens you posted are nodular jasper. 

What sound does it make when you gently bump it against the underside of the toilet tank lid? 

A jasper containing diamonds will always sound like a chord when bumped against the toilet tank lid. A regular jasper will just be a single note. If the sound is more like a melody then you have a gold bearing jasperoid fecolite that could be very valuable. The chances of that are rather slim though.

If you hear digeridoo music when you bump it against the toilet drop the stone and leave the house immediately. You could have a fossilized burri burru art stone and it could be very dangerous. Even deadly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Both of the specimens you posted are nodular jasper. 

What sound does it make when you gently bump it against the underside of the toilet tank lid? 

A jasper containing diamonds will always sound like a chord when bumped against the toilet tank lid. A regular jasper will just be a single note. If the sound is more like a melody then you have a gold bearing jasperoid fecolite that could be very valuable. The chances of that are rather slim though.

If you hear digeridoo music when you bump it against the toilet drop the stone and leave the house immediately. You could have a fossilized burri burru art stone and it could be very dangerous. Even deadly.

Nice one... trolling?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Yeah, a little. At least about the toilet lid. :)

It is nodular jasper all kidding aside. It is a fairly common stone. 

Well you got me, I went to the toilet and tried to see how it sounds, good one haha.

  • Haha 1
  • well done 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nugz said:

Well you got me, I went to the toilet and tried to see how it sounds, good one haha.

So...Did it play you a melody? :rolleyes:

I have a jasper nodule that looks a whole lot like yours. I picked it up just the other day. They often have interesting sculpted shapes.

 

DSCN0588.JPG

When I tap this one on the toilet tank lid it plays the first three notes of the Star Spangled Banner. :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...