Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nugz

What type of meteorite is this? Please help!

Dear community,

Some of you are experts in this field, I would kindly ask who can help me identify the type of meteorite I have.

Some information that might help:

1) The meteorite is way heavier then usual stone

2) Its super durable, took 1 hour to cut it and doesn't crack at all... 

3) Magnet doesn't get very attracted to it

4) It sounds funny when you hit it to the ground, sounds like the crash cymbal from drums.. sort of

please let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance!

1551299234591.JPEG

1551299240790.JPEG

1551300121805.JPEG

Its not a meteorite.  Looks like a rock with a patina of limonite around it, and some magnesium/manganese "dendrites" on the whitish surface.

So why does it then fit the specifications of a meteorite? 

It was found in water/near water.

Edited by nugz

What are the specifications that indicate it is a meteorite? Is it the 4 points listed above? 

I am not a meteorite expert, but I am certain that being heavy/durable and "sounding funny" when it hits the ground are not quite enough to verify a meteorite.  

• Like 1

Not a meteorite.

8 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Not a meteorite.

Ok, thanks for the information Morlock, what is your conclusion? why is it not a meteorite?

5 hours ago, nugz said:

4) It sounds funny when you hit it to the ground, sounds like the crash cymbal from drums.. sort of

Your description is perfect for a Diamond. Its likely a Diamond and not a meteorite. 

• Haha 2
  • well done 2

8 hours ago, nugz said:

Dear community,

Some of you are experts in this field, I would kindly ask who can help me identify the type of meteorite I have.

Some information that might help:

please let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance!

1551299234591.JPEG

1551299240790.JPEG

1551300121805.JPEG

Looks like Chert.

5 hours ago, adam said:

Your description is perfect for a Diamond. Its likely a Diamond and not a meteorite. 

What value does it have if its a diamond? Also, do you want a full photo of the rock? maybe you get better idea of how it looks like? It way bigger, 5-7kg

3 hours ago, nugz said:

What value does it have if its a diamond? 

It's NOT a diamond. 

24 minutes ago, Morlock said:

It's NOT a diamond. 

So, Not a meteorite, It's NOT a diamond... then what is it? if its not not?

58 minutes ago, nugz said:

So, Not a meteorite, It's NOT a diamond... then what is it? if its not not?

It's called leaverite and  worth absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

Google: Chert, Flint and Chalcedony 

CHERT: Chert is a hard, fine-grained sedimentary rock composed of crystals of quartz (silica) that  varies greatly in color. Cherts are tough, compact  rocks with low porosity. Chert may be colored brown by clay minerals as well as iron oxides. (brown tones are due to hematite) A larger proportion of clay may affect chert's luster, making it appear dull. At that point it starts to resemble chocolate. Chert has four diagnostic features: the waxy luster and conchoidal (shell-shaped) fracture of the silica mineral chalcedony that composes it, a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale, and a smooth (non-clastic) sedimentary texture.

In re: to tone/color:  http://meteorite-identification.com  From Wikipedia: Hematite, a very common meteor-wrong, is the mineral form of Iron(III) oxide (Fe2O3), one of several iron oxides.

hematite nodule

Yeah, it is obviously a hematitic chertolith  :laught16: Or a chertoloidal hematolith :25r30wi:

Possibly a petrified poodle turd left by Spanish masons to mark a treasure cache. 

• Haha 1

There is a forum of meteorite hunters on this web site.  They would be a good source of info about what properties make a meteorite a meteorite.  There are also many good, academic sources on the web about meteorites.

This is the full stone, this shape is not natural.. it can't be the stuff you guys suggest, they look different.

1551367916261.JPEG

1551367932846.JPEG

1551367956126.JPEG

1551367968894.JPEG

That looks like water worn jasper.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BMc said:

Google: Chert, Flint and Chalcedony 

CHERT: Chert is a hard, fine-grained sedimentary rock composed of crystals of quartz (silica) that  varies greatly in color. Cherts are tough, compact  rocks with low porosity. Chert may be colored brown by clay minerals as well as iron oxides. (brown tones are due to hematite) A larger proportion of clay may affect chert's luster, making it appear dull. At that point it starts to resemble chocolate. Chert has four diagnostic features: the waxy luster and conchoidal (shell-shaped) fracture of the silica mineral chalcedony that composes it, a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale, and a smooth (non-clastic) sedimentary texture.

In re: to tone/color:  http://meteorite-identification.com  From Wikipedia: Hematite, a very common meteor-wrong, is the mineral form of Iron(III) oxide (Fe2O3), one of several iron oxides.

hematite nodule

I posted full image, far from what you show me there, not same color tone, not that type of shape.

Just now, Morlock said:

That looks like water worn jasper.

It is the same thing you said its leaverite, so now its jasper water worn? 

10 minutes ago, nugz said:

Hey Mr. nugz, the point is that jasper is not as valuable as a meteorite. Nice piece of jasper though, if you were a rock hound you would be excited. If you want more action from the rest of the meteorite gang then post your pictures in the meteorite thread zone.

16 minutes ago, nugz said:

You posted two different pictures. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

Hey Mr. nugz, the point is that jasper is not as valuable as a meteorite. Nice piece of jasper though, if you were a rock hound you would be excited. If you want more action from the rest of the meteorite gang then post your pictures in the meteorite thread zone.

What is the worth of the jasper? why should I be excited for common stone?

8 minutes ago, nugz said:

What is the worth of the jasper? why should I be excited for common stone?

You shouldn't. That's what everyone is, (gently, sort of), trying to tell you. :)

2 hours ago, nugz said:

This is the full stone, this shape is not natural.. it can't be the stuff you guys suggest, they look different.

1551367916261.JPEG

1551367932846.JPEG

1551367956126.JPEG

1551367968894.JPEG

Chalcedony and Chert: Micro crystalline Varieties of Quartz. ... While some chalcedony is valued as a collector specimen, not all chalcedony or chert is gem quality, as is the case with all minerals and rocks. If the micro crystalline specimen is red, green, or landscape-looking, it is called jasperFlint Is A Variety of Chert. Although there is a lot of confusion on this, chert refers to crypto crystalline or poly crystalline quartz that usually forms as nodules in limestone. Flint is reserved for such material that forms in chalk or marl. Flint is simply a type of chert.

Visual identification of a mineral specimen is often difficult. So you can't go on looks alone. That's why there are specific tests that have been formulated for this purpose. Do the research. It takes only seconds to see that there are many, many, varieties and appearances of Chert, Jasper and Flint. Dozens of photographs of each are available on the internet. Many if not most, look different.  Your's is a nice looking specimen and may have value as a collector's piece. If not, at least it would make an attractive doorstop. 

2 hours ago, nugz said:

I posted full image, far from what you show me there, not same color tone, not that type of shape.

You are mis-reading the post.  1)The point was, (to help with identification) hematite is stated to be the possible reason that your Jasper/Chert is brown,  which was the color of the original mineral specimen you posted. Of course it's not the same shape . . . they come in all different shapes and sizes! And the depiction of the hematite mass is to show what hematite looks like (it's brown in the photo) and to GIVE YOU THE LINK SO YOU COULD DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND PROVE TO YOURSELF THAT IT'S NOT, NOT, A METEORITE!! (Please use the link!)