Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lanny in AB

Not new, but been absent for a while . . .

I joined this forum some time ago, but some regular viewers may not be up to date on what I'm up to in regards to chasing the gold these days, so here's an update:
(As well, just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to those that are new to the forum.)

I mainly metal detect for nuggets now (chased the gold in Alaska, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, north-central British Columbia, south-eastern British Columbia, Alberta, but now I spend almost all of my time chasing the gold in British Columbia, Canada), used to dredge, sluice, high-bank, snipe, etc., (still do a bit for fun) but for more than a few years now, I've been associated with a large-scale placer operation, one that has slapped on me the title of their mining consultant. Sounds grandiose, however in no way is it, but they like to have me do testing for them with my detectors after they've finished cleaning a section of bedrock with their massive, heavy equipment.

Why have me on the mining site? To see what they're missing. Furthermore, after I've finished poking around, they've gone back and taken more bedrock (sometimes several feet) at times when I get a lot of gold in a hurry (or they've headed in another direction if there's a good line of pay shooting off under the overburden away from where they were trending), and other times when there's hardly any gold found with the detectors, they bury that bedrock right quick. It's a win, win situation for both of us as they value what I can do with my machines, and I value the privilege of the incredible opportunity. Their only caveat is that I can't tell the total weight of the gold I find to anyone outside of their crew (and I always must report it to them), but hey, who can't live with that, right? Oh, and they let me keep what I find, won't take a percentage (I've tried many times).

In addition, I know a lot of other claim and lease owners that have properties they're not currently working, ones with abandoned excavations and sites, or ones they haven't got to yet, and they love to have me snoop around with my detectors as well, and if I find anything promising, they set up and get after the gold. I've been doing that for quite a few years, but I still like to check out unfamiliar, un-staked ground too.

In addition, I like to write stories about my gold hunting outings, and oftentimes, I'll include information for any rookies out there that are trying to figure things out as they get started. Why? That's how I got started; a few good people (my original mentor is now 88) took me under their wing and taught me the ropes (a few clichés too many in that sentence, I know).

My one son is now a dedicated nugget shooter (the other one lives thousands of kms away), and I love training him, plus my wife is now onboard with chasing the gold (she used to love panning my dredge concentrates, always heavy with goodies and always a good time for her and my mother-in-law [yeah, I know, sometimes the word fun and mother-in-law don't get used together in the same sentence]), and I'm ordering my wife a shiny new detector this winter because she's seen what we're getting (she loves to pan down our scoops of quick finds from the detectors which we slap in the pans when they're target rich for her to have some fun with; we call that speed-panning as it saves us the downtime of isolating the positive signals out of the scoop each and every time, giving us bonus time swinging the coils).

So, it will be great to meet some of you that are new, and for those that are already acquaintances, it's a wrap!

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 3

Hey Lanny, Sounds like things are going well for you and family, and that's always a great thing. So i was thinking if you are ever looking for someone to take under your wing i could be up there pretty quick and i promise i won't tell how much i found! haha :4chsmu1:  h.t.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

Hey Lanny, Sounds like things are going well for you and family, and that's always a great thing. So i was thinking if you are ever looking for someone to take under your wing i could be up there pretty quick and i promise i won't tell how much i found! haha :4chsmu1:  h.t.

Thanks for the response, and I see you're from the Reno area. I've been in your neck of the woods a few times, lots and lots of mining areas all over the place, and I imagine you have a great time chasing the gold there.

As for our northern gold, I'm sure you'd never spill the beans (I'd love to have all kinds of people tag along if I could), and I appreciate your sense of humour too. 

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Thanks for sharing Lanny, yea i am lucky my wife works for Nevada division of minerals and we have a good number of amazing places to roam around down here. Wishing you and your family a great season to come, that snow will melt sooner or later. Keep up the good living!   

h.t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hardtimehermit said:

Thanks for sharing Lanny, yea i am lucky my wife works for Nevada division of minerals and we have a good number of amazing places to roam around down here. Wishing you and your family a great season to come, that snow will melt sooner or later. Keep up the good living!   

h.t.

Yes, we're extremely tired of the Siberian blast of Arctic air that has kept us well below seasonal temperatures now for quite a while. We're all looking forward to some warming.

I visit Nevada on a regular basis as I have family there. Goldfield and Tonopah are very interesting sites, and I love the history of those areas, and I plan to take ample time to explore both sites much more in the future. Rhyolite is a great place to visit, and I loved the tour of the Techatticup mine in the south of Nevada (if you've never been, and you love old hard-rock gold mines and touring underground, well worth the time).

With all of the ghost towns and many abandoned mining sites in Nevada, you must really enjoy your time exploring, and I hope you find many sassy nuggets of gold while you're out there on your adventures.

All the best,

Lanny

Edited by Lanny in AB
  • Like 1

Hi Lanny ... Just saying Hi to an old friend! Glad to hear you are doing well up north!

On 2/26/2019 at 11:03 AM, Mike Furness said:

Hi Lanny ... Just saying Hi to an old friend! Glad to hear you are doing well up north!

A big hello to you too Mike! Nice to have such a good friend, and we do go back a ways . . .

As for being up north, too stinkin' cold this winter! Can't wait for the warm weather to return, so I can get out there to chase some more gold.

Thanks for all of your help, and all the best,

Lanny

• Like 1