Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pwjuggernaut

Noob here with questions about the Equinox 800

I live in the Mountains of Western North Carolina and will be hitting some streams/rivers/mountains with my future detector. Do you guys think that this particular model with a 6 in coil would be my best choice for this area? I will be using it for nuggets/flakes and general prospecting. 

Thanks for any suggestions,

Paul

PW ... It will find gold but you would do better I think with a dedicated gold machine. Had you asked ahead of time I probably would have recommended the GM1000 or the SDC2300 for the country you will be prospecting in. But if you are meticulous ... slow and low and listen very carefully to what it is telling you ... AND you get it over shallow gold you should be able to find some. I would strongly suggest that if you have more than 4-6" of over burden to bedrock that you remove the over burden and chase the bedrock. Enjoy the machine and most of all have fun! You won't get rich but the thrill of finding a few pieces is always fun!

• Like 1

That's exactly what I wanted to know! I am torn between the GM and Equinox but my primary goal is Gold. I just wasn't sure what experienced nugget/ flake shooters would use. I have some experience in general detecting but not gold especially when the ground is hot where I'm going to be. I really like them both but I thought I remembered that both worked around the same khz 40-45 for gold so that's why I thought the E800 would be the better option. BTW, I haven't purchased anything yet so im still in the process of deciding!

Thanks for any help,

Paul

Paul , got on you tube and watch Nugget Shooters videos , he shows gold hunting with both machines , very informative..

Paul if you are seriously after gold in hot or highly mineralized ground I would strongly recommend the GM1000 with the 5" coil. Because GM1000 is a dedicated gold machine it will handle the ground better than the Equinox 800 in my experience. And when it comes to those fly poop size nuggets it will more easily find them for you. I can't tell you how many hundreds of little quail shot ... #9 pellets ... that I have found with the Monster. And yes I have found a lot of gold too but there are just more of those pesky pellets out there than there are nuggets. LOL!

• Like 1

Remember the GM coil is only waterproof to 3' . Control head is rain and splash resistance only..