Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
steelguy

new member excited to jump in!

Totally fascinating to read the forums and begin to learn more!  Real quality posts by all, thanks.  I recently came into possession of a large sample weighing 74 pounds I am going to have analyzed by a local university lab.  Very exciting for me.  I have attached 2 photos, the second showing a silver, polished spot that sure looks like steel.  The sample also has a 1/8" hole in it.

meteorite #4.jpg

meteorite #3.jpg

• Like 2

Looks promising. Can you provide more details?

yup.  My brother-in-law purchased it around 2000 at the Tuscon Meteorite, Mineral and Gem show.  The seller was from Latin America and my brother-in-law thinks he remembers being told it was from Patagonia.  That is the extent of the background known.  Although he was given paperwork, it now he can not find it.  I have checked with a few labs and The Museum of Natural History in NYC suggest getting in touch with a Dr. Gross at Rutgers.  She reviewed the photos and said she would be glad to look at the stone and do analysis if she believes it is warranted.  So, hopefully I am in the process of having it shipped to me and then I will go meet with her.  He has bills that need to be paid so hopefully this will help towards that.  Attached photo shows the 1/8" hole.  Great fun!

meteorite #2.jpg

Edited by steelguy

It looks like a Campo Del Cielo meteorite, a lot of them are sold online and at the Tucson show. Nice looking iron...
Dave

• Like 1

Nice looking piece! Welcome to the forum.

All the best,

Lanny