Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Knifemaker84

Trickery!!

Magnetic nugget... this was the first "score" I found. I was bored and decided for some reason to test my nuggets with a magnet. Call me inquisitive but metals fascinate me beyond words so im always doing something weird. 

• Like 2

How do you figure that?  

Old Tom

• Like 1

Yup....you got some Iron in there. Nice nug!! WTG :thumbsupanim

Tom H.

• Like 1

Knifemaker84    Nice find. Its really not that rare. I first discovered it with some nuggets we found from the Vulture Mine area years ago. We were sitting at the bar celebrating what we had found. had the nuggets laid out on the bar,earlier that day I went clean my pick magnet and spotted a small gold nugget stuck to my pick magnet. Gold loves Iron. we were dragging them around the bar top with my pick magnet. Hope you find more.:thumbsupanim

AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

Let me add a little to this. I truly believe the gold in several places is formed on or in conjunction with the iron in the veins. but many years after the gold has eroded out of the veins the gold iron oxidizes into hematite. and looses its conductivity over time.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice nugget and I have also found many like that in almost 30 years hunting with a detector.

• Like 1

Apparently, any natural platinum originating from magmatic generation is iron and nickel-bearing, so could gold also be attracted to a magnet for the same reasons (iron in original metallic solution)? I certainly don't know, just asking as I'm well aware that gold and iron are great friends and bedfellows.

*The Old-timers used to say they wouldn't find (or rarely if ever) gold without iron being present, but that they would find iron without discovering gold. That's why when they'd see a change in the land where it was heavy with iron, they'd get busy snooping about.*

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 2

Great example to show why digging all targets regardless of what the discrimination says is a wise idea. .02

• Like 1