Nugget Shooter Forums

Snow???

Dakota Slim

Supposed to get about 1 to 2 in Golden Valley and I thin 4 or more in the local mountains.

GSSN canceled their outing for this weekend due to weather...Have not heard from Las Vegas GPAA yet but they had an outing this weekend to in Gold Basin...

Roads are shutting down due to storm, including I-40, US 93

KINGMAN – Snow has been falling overnight, which has caused roadways to close down.

Arizona Department of Transportation reported at about 5:30 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 21 that both directions of Interstate 40 and U.S. 93 are closed in Kingman because of snow, ice, and multiple disabled vehicles.

I-40 is closed at Stockton Hill Road and U.S. 93 is closed at Coyote Pass.

Mohave County Roads reports that DW Ranch Road is closed from Hualapai Mountain Road to I-40 because of the weather. Hualapai Mountain Road is closed from Lazy Y U to Hualapai Mountain Park.

https://kdminer.com/news/2019/feb/21/roads-are-shutting-down-due-storm-including-i-40-u/

I appreciate it.  We've been thinking of going out this weekend to that area.  So many different sites to check to see if the roads are closed including national forest sites.

9 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

I wouldn't be driving around in that snow.
You might be able to handle it but there will be lots of other cars that will be slipping and sliding and ending up in the ditch -- or worse.

4 X 4 and aggressive tread may help (or hurt), but after spending a couple of bad winters having to drive in Seattle's steep hilly streets, I found that 25 mph was about the maximum during snow and icy conditions. When you are driving down a steep hill and the traffic light at the bottom turns red, no one tries to stop since your vehicle would just slide on through the intersection anyway. Very spooky feeling. People tend to get used to it somewhat, but many drivers still find out the hard way about the need to slow down.

1 hour ago, BMc said:

4 X 4 and aggressive tread may help (or hurt), but after spending a couple of bad winters having to drive in Seattle's steep hilly streets, I found that 25 mph was about the maximum during snow and icy conditions. When you are driving down a steep hill and the traffic light at the bottom turns red, no one tries to stop since your vehicle would just slide on through the intersection anyway. Very spooky feeling. People tend to get used to it somewhat, but many drivers still find out the hard way about the need to slow down.

I know the feeling. I grew up and learned to drive in MN. Got my driver's license in January of 1966. By the end of January I learned that the amount of rubber on the road does little on the ice. Locking up the brakes while going downhill on an icy road makes you go faster and often spins you out of control. I also remember weeks at a time when the temperature never got above 20 below. When I was in college I had a VW which was great. If I got stuck in the snow I could put in 1st and let the wheels spin while I got out and rocked it. When it became unstuck and started to move I just hopped back in and went on to wherever I was going. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rain is getting pretty heavy here just N. of Phoenix, I did see Adams Kia floating by again. 
AzNuggetBob

• Haha 5

I have not measured this morning but I would say we have 12-14" of snow here in Prescott Valley out in Coyote Springs which is north of town close to Mingus Mtn! Still snowing but very lightly at the moment. I'm guessing if it continues through the day like it is supposed to we will have 15" or better. What is really interesting is the wind that drove up some 3' plus drifts in my yard! Be safe out there!