Nugget Shooter Forums

That looks very promising, Daffy. Can you file the exposed interior area shown in your first photo and then sand it smooth to see if any bright, silvery nickel iron flecks are visible? They should look similar to the pic below...perhaps not as many flecks, since your sample is only slightly attracted to a magnet:

31CB3604-EEA0-48C1-A39E-C8A64EEFBC85.jpeg

Edited by Lunk

You surely found something odd there. Lunk is giving you some good info. You need to get a good look at the inside of that rascal.

This is one of the few on this forum that is not easily identified as a terrestrial stone. 

That dimple on the back of the stone in the last photo looks like it has a bit of a lip on it. You can see a definite boundary in the "crust" around that low spot. That is exactly where a lip would form. The interior looks good to me too. The crust looks good and is the appropriate thickness and texture. I see several features that could be meteoritic.

It surely warrants further investigation. I hope you see some metal in it when you get a flat spot polished on it.

I think a quick streak test is warranted for this one. Flip the lid of your toilet tank over exposing the unglazed ceramic surface of the lid. Scratch one part of the black portion of the stone with the black portion directly against the unglazed portion about  4-5 swipes lightly and report the color of the streak left behind or share a photo of the streak. This is a good candidate for this test!

Edited by Rocky

Its only very slightly magnetic. Had the magnet dangling with string and it slowly pulled towards it. I can see some very tiny flakes of metal In it now i have filed more off. Ridiculously hard to take a decent picture though with my crappy phone. But tried my best

20190221_131203.jpg

20190221_131154.jpg

20190221_131209.jpg

20190221_074959.jpg

20190221_083846.jpg

20190221_083957.jpg

2 hours ago, daffy said:

I can see some very tiny flakes of metal In it now i have filed more off. 

The presence of metal flakes is a real good sign, although I can't make them out in your photos. The filed window reveals an interior that is composed of coarse, angular mineral grains, with no chondrules, suggestive of an achondrite. Before proceeding to the next step, which would be to email some clear, high quality photos to an accredited meteorite lab to see if they would be interested in examining your find, can you give us any specifics on the environment and circumstances in which your specimen was found...was it in a desert region? If so, are there any desert varnished rocks in the area? What made this particular rock stand out to you as being different from the surroundings? Was it found with a metal detector, or did you spot it visually?

Edited by Lunk

rural property. i was walking near the creek gold panning and looking at rocks, hadn't rained for months and that one stood out  from the rest i walk the creek regularly looking at the rocks, this one was so shiny lol, just looked different to the rest i picked it up,. i still walk around looking for something similar, found one kind of similar very heavy for its size with the black crust same property different area if you want to see? been searching for meteorites for years if even one of them is legit ill be extremely happy lol

Okay Daffy, the second sample appears to have the same composition as the first one. At this point, I would go back to the area where these stones were found, collect a few of the native stones and break them open with a hammer to compare their interiors; please wear gloves and eye protection...you can cover them with a rag or towel before striking them to prevent the fragments from flying off. What we're trying to do here is rule out the possibility that your finds are simply native terrestrial rocks that have acquired a dark mineral coating. Isn't science fun?😄

• Like 2

If the exterior black were fusion crust I would expect it to be much more smooth; the black coating appears to have followed the roughness of the exterior of the stone as you would expect from an oxidation coating.  Still curious rocks and certainly worth further investigation.  What part of the country are you in?  Maybe someone close by could take a look in person.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, Mikestang said:

If the exterior black were fusion crust I would expect it to be much more smooth; the black coating appears to have followed the roughness of the exterior of the stone as you would expect from an oxidation coating

While that is generally true, there are always exceptions; for example, this 98% fusion crusted, 120 gram Tissint shergottite achondrite individual, which shows a remarkably rough and uneven surface:

image.jpeg

Edited by Lunk

Nothing quite like them around especially with the black on the outside. I look for gold a lot so im always smashing up rocks lol mostly just sedimentary rocks and lot of quartz and a lot of iron ore. Little bit of gold lol. Wondering who i could show them to who could identify them? Thanks so much for the info and help btw. 

Contact Information

Daffy, you can email some photos and a link to this forum thread to:

Alan E. Rubin

aerubin@ucla.edu

Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics

University of California 

Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567

Telephone

310-825-3202

FAX

310-206-3051

Here's a link to his web page: http://cosmochemists.igpp.ucla.edu/Rubin.html

Good luck, and please keep us updated here.

Edited by Lunk