Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike C...

Question for the meteorite Guru's

Hi I found a couple of stones that might be meteorites that I found in 2 different areas-The first one is black on the exterior weighs just under 17 grams and was a weak signal on my 5K and was magnetic-streak test was tanish brown-I sliced a piece off it and its black and has silver specks in it.The second one weighs to much for my scale its about the size of a baseball-it wasnt a super strong siganl when I found it-its only slightly magnetic it has no fushion crust-maybe weathered off it does ave some pitting inside-I sliced it and it has very fine silver specks in it and its gray-streak tested tanish brown-I have a question I hear all the time that meteorites dont leave a streak-but I have read on the internet here and there they do leave a brownish streak so what is it???I have some goldbasin as well as franconias that streak as well-am I doing something wrong maybe pressing to hard :89: ??? Thanks in advance-Mike C...:200:

thumbnail_IMG_0395.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0396.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0387.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0389.jpg

25 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

thumbnail_IMG_0395.jpg

Mike this looks like metal flecks in a chondrite, can you try to retake the image with the subject in focus please!! The other two don’t look like meteorites.

That’s awesome if you found a little chondrite!! Do you see how your fingers are in focus and the stone is not?? You need to move the stone closer to the lens say where your fingers are in focus, tap the screen to autofocus and post it again please

Lets try this again and they are metal flakes even though they look white here :old:

thumbnail_IMG_0400.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0401.jpg

• Like 1
  • wow 1

Sorry thats about as good of a pic I can get-so both passed the streak and magnet test-next thing to do is send it in to a place and get them examined and maybe classified-I was just looking for some opinions before I did-Thanks Rocky and congrats on your great find :thumbsupanim Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

You’re  welcome Mike. Was you previous post a picture or did you leave it blank because it is blank.

Posted again hopefully they stay this time :idunno:Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

Looks like you found yourself a nice little impact melt!! Great job! Hopefully you remember where you found it!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rocky said:

Mike this looks like metal flecks in a chondrite, can you try to retake the image with the subject in focus please!! The other two don’t look like meteorites.

If those are metal flakes, it should have a strong attraction to a magnet.

Maybe, maybe not, Morlock

The SBW's that I have found have nickel flecks, but are not very magnetic...

Mike the dark one could be a chrondrite- if you have a small magnet-suspend it on a string and take it close to the rock...if the flecks are metal the magnet should be attracted...

No idea about the light colored rock.

fred

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

Looks like you found yourself a nice little impact melt!! Great job! Hopefully you remember where you found it!!

Ya I remember well where I found it and thanks-Mike C...:200:

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

If those are metal flakes, it should have a strong attraction to a magnet.

I never said that one wasnt magnetic a magnet will stick to it but it was a weak signal on the 5000 not as strong as a GB meteorite is :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Maybe, maybe not, Morlock

The SBW's that I have found have nickel flecks, but are not very magnetic...

Mike the dark one could be a chrondrite- if you have a small magnet-suspend it on a string and take it close to the rock...if the flecks are metal the magnet should be attracted...

No idea about the light colored rock.

fred

Hey Fred thanks for your insight-Im pretty sure the small dark one is a a space turd and it is magnetic but as far as the other rock I have doubts but for some weird reason kept it after I found it with my 5000 because it had the cracks which are common in space turds and it was the only one like it in this area where I found it :89:Dont know-Thanks-Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

I hope you found a space turd Mike. Looks like the photos I have seen of the Wickenburg metiorite. I found what I thought was a meteorwrong last weekend. Looks similar! Only problem is it left a gray  streak.

20190204_205456.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Buckeye Boy said:

I hope you found a space turd Mike. Looks like the photos I have seen of the Wickenburg metiorite. I found what I thought was a meteorwrong last weekend. Looks similar! Only problem is it left a gray  streak.

20190204_205456.jpg

That looks like a meteorite as well Buck!! Go out and find more. Streak test is really only good for relatively fresh meteorites with black fusion crust so it’s not a good test for your stone. I have meteorites that will leave a grey streak especially my impact melt so don’t let that discourage you at all!!! Nice find, is that about 180-200grams?

• Like 2

I will post better pics and weight in another post. Sorry for hijacking Mike.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Buckeye Boy said:

20190204_205456.jpg

That looks almost like mine :89: Nice WTG:head: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

I actually found two. This is the bigger one. They were laying next to a pile of gold. Maybe not a pile but a few nice pieces.

• Like 1

That's some dark looking matrix you guys have going there. I think they do look like Wickenberg, good luck with those space turds guys!:)

• Like 1

Oh nice !!! Wickenburg is a L6 !!! Those look very nice!!

Uncle Ron I believe has found a lot of the Wickenburgs, you might want to compare it with the ones he found... congrats on a find.

Dave.