Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Trailertrash

GPX4500 on the way!

Recommended Posts

Super stoked to try this new machine! I ordered my new machine through Bill, and should get it on the UPS truck Monday. 

I did as much research as I could, short of actually trying one out. In the end, I couldn't justify the extra $1300 for a 5000, and the 7000 is just not on the table, at eight grand. 

I am expecting a monster of a learning curve, but it looks manageable, after reading the manual a few times. Not to mention all the great info on this forum, YouTube, etc.

If you have any tips for someone brand new to this machine, I'm all ears.

I know nuggets won't leap out of the ground, until I put the coil in the right place, no matter what machine I am swinging. Between the new 4500, and the Equinox I already have, I will not be able to blame the machines for a lack of nuggets. 

At least I will get in better shape digging deeper holes :)

Regards,

Kyle

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a hunter on a tight budget that's a tough combination to beat..!

Swamp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will be happy and a pig in..... with the 4500. GH

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my 4500 from Bill about 3+ years ago and it's well paid for itself...Good choice ...Cheers, Unc

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. The 4500 seemed like the best balance of $ spent vs. capability gained. 

I've learned, sometimes the hard way, that it's usually the man, not the machine, that makes 90% of the difference. Hand me a top of the line race bike, and put me out there with a national level pro, who's riding an old beater. Who's gonna win? Yup. Been there, got lapped, in fact :)

The new toy will keep me busy for a long time.

I just have to wait for UPS to get here on Monday. Funny, when I was a little kid, Santa had a sleigh. Now he drives a brown diesel truck!

Regards, Kyle

 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest pairing your new machine with a Nuggetfinder 9x14 elliptical mono coil...My fav and most productive is one of those, even though it's a 10+year old original Fiberglas  unit...Found $thousands with that set up...Good luck with it and post your finds ... Cheers, Unc

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

I'd suggest pairing your new machine with a Nuggetfinder 9x14 elliptical mono coil...My fav and most productive is one of those, even though it's a 10+year old original Fiberglas  unit...Found $thousands with that set up...Good luck with it and post your finds ... Cheers, Unc

 

Thanks for the tip, Ron. I keep reading about the Nuggetfinder coils. Once I master the basics, I will likely get one of those, and a smaller 8"(?) as well. 

I will definitely post any gold I find. After I let my Wife drool on it, you guys are second in line!

Regards, Kyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

I'd suggest pairing your new machine with a Nuggetfinder 9x14 elliptical mono coil...My fav and most productive is one of those, even though it's a 10+year old original Fiberglas  unit...Found $thousands with that set up...Good luck with it and post your finds ... Cheers, Unc

 

I still have one of those..... Mostly use good old Minelab coils.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trailertrash said:

Thanks for the tip, Ron. I keep reading about the Nuggetfinder coils. Once I master the basics, I will likely get one of those, and a smaller 8"(?) as well. 

I will definitely post any gold I find. After I let my Wife drool on it, you guys are second in line!

Regards, Kyle

Congrats on your new soon to have detector!!

If your wife is with you when you find a nugget you can use her drool to clean the dirt off of the nugget!! :brows:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Congrats on your new soon to have detector!!

If your wife is with you when you find a nugget you can use her drool to clean the dirt off of the nugget!! :brows:

That could work, though getting close to her mouth when she is holding something shiny is a good way to get myself bitten...

Maybe I'll use my water bottle.

Kyle

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the new detector. You will love it. If you want a killer combination, attach a NF 15 inch EVO to that bad boy when funds allow. What a sweet setup. But to be honest, anything will work great for ya when you learn the machine. Good luck.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Congrats on the new detector. You will love it. If you want a killer combination, attach a NF 15 inch EVO to that bad boy when funds allow. What a sweet setup. But to be honest, anything will work great for ya when you learn the machine. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. How do these machines balance with the larger coils? Do they become shoulder killing, nose heavy pigs?

I haven't been too kind to either of my shoulders over the years, but I've avoided surgery so far. I'm happy to keep it that way!

Regards, Kyle

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 15 is a little heavy but it is spoked so it really isn't too bad. I have a bad right shoulder and it gets a little tender after 7 or 8 hrs. But not unbearable. I dont use a bungee too often because of the uneven ground i hunt but when i do, it is virtually weightless and my shoulder doesn't feel it at all. The 12 inch EVO is another to look at. My hunting buddy is 75 and he swings it all day long without a bungee and his is the 12 inch solid. Plus you end up building muscle in the arm you swing with so it does get stronger after a while and the weight a little less noticeable  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nugget108 said:

The 15 is a little heavy but it is spoked so it really isn't too bad. I have a bad right shoulder and it gets a little tender after 7 or 8 hrs. But not unbearable. I dont use a bungee too often because of the uneven ground i hunt but when i do, it is virtually weightless and my shoulder doesn't feel it at all. The 12 inch EVO is another to look at. My hunting buddy is 75 and he swings it all day long without a bungee and his is the 12 inch solid. Plus you end up building muscle in the arm you swing with so it does get stronger after a while and the weight a little less noticeable  

Good to hear. Maybe I'll hit the gym a little, also. Twelve ounce curls don't seem to be as effective as I had hoped.

I have been looking at hip sticks, and figuring out how to roll my own, but I think I'll hold off and see how it goes.

Regards, Kyle

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on your 4500... its a good machine. Lots to learn on it. I had a 2200, then upgraded to a 5000, now using a 7000. When I was hunting the Johnnie area near Pahrump in Nevada, using the 5000, I would use sensitive extra 99% of the time, fixed ground balance, search mode deep, use mono coils. There is more, but you adjust to your liking.  Good luck hope it finds you some good gold.

Dave

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Congrats on your 4500... its a good machine. Lots to learn on it. I had a 2200, then upgraded to a 5000, now using a 7000. When I was hunting the Johnnie area near Pahrump in Nevada, using the 5000, I would use sensitive extra 99% of the time, fixed ground balance, search mode deep, use mono coils. There is more, but you adjust to your liking.  Good luck hope it finds you some good gold.

Dave

Thanks for the tips, Dave. The two club claims I have been working have been hammered by every guy with a detector, but of the many detectors I have seen out here, only one PI machine. There are a few "bomb craters" around, so I'm not the first guy on scene with a PI detector, but hopefully there's still a nugget or two left!

Regards, Kyle

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the new PI, I'm sure you're going to like it.  I picked up a used 5000 for my son and I to share last year, they see tiny pieces of metal very, very deep!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AllenJ said:

Congrats on the new PI, I'm sure you're going to like it.  I picked up a used 5000 for my son and I to share last year, they see tiny pieces of metal very, very deep!

I'm hoping to use that ability to my advantage. Detector arrived yesterday, and I got the battery charged, and everything adjusted to fit me. The instructions aren't kidding, it took all of 8 hours to charge from dead flat.

Today should be amusing. In keeping with "new gear rules", that apply to every hobby, it's blowing 20+mph here, and 35 degrees. A wise man might wait for better weather.

Not gonna happen. It's likely be a short day, but I will go out for an hour or two. Instruction manual in on hand, detector in the other, and dressed up like Kenny from South Park. Lol

Regards, 

Kyle

 

986189_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trailertrash said:

I'm hoping to use that ability to my advantage. Detector arrived yesterday, and I got the battery charged, and everything adjusted to fit me. The instructions aren't kidding, it took all of 8 hours to charge from dead flat.

Today should be amusing. In keeping with "new gear rules", that apply to every hobby, it's blowing 20+mph here, and 35 degrees. A wise man might wait for better weather.

Not gonna happen. It's likely be a short day, but I will go out for an hour or two. Instruction manual in on hand, detector in the other, and dressed up like Kenny from South Park. Lol

Regards, 

Kyle

 

986189_1.jpg

Just keep in mind that your new detector or the coils are not water proof....don't let them get to much water on them if at all!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Just keep in mind that your new detector or the coils are not water proof....don't let them get to much water on them if at all!!

Thanks for the heads-up. No rain here, and the wind finally dropped enough to get out for a couple hours. Just nasty wind chill.

Detector seemed to work fine, though I didn't change much from the presets. I was about half a mile from some hi voltage power lines, not sure if that is close enough to matter, but there was some noise with the coil perfectly still, so I changed channels a few times, and messed with Rx gain. (I know better than to turn it up, but I also bet I'm not the first to try it:))

I "think" the threshold was smooth, but I'm not sure how good is good enough. 

I had been over the area before, with the Equinox, and it had tons of hot rocks. Didn't hear a one with the 4500. Unless that means I have a setting wrong, that's a welcome change!

Can lids are terrifying. I figured surface objects would be loud, but that was a surprise. Wifey may be doing laundry tonight....

Good first shot with it, though. I did find a #2 lead pellet, at about 4". 

It's going to take awhile to memorize what each setting does, and try them all out. I enjoy the challenge!

Regards, Kyle

 

  • well done 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good hunting....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Good hunting....

Thanks, Bill! We are supposed to catch a break in the weather here, from Friday on. You can bet I'll be out there hammering it hard.

Kyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Kyle  you got yourself one great machine. Looking forward to your post and finds from using it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...