Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bedrock Bob

A few oddities

Here are three interesting things found on a recent trip to the diamond fields just east of Lake Deming. 

DSCN0578.JPG

A carving of a bear that must be mighty old. A fossilized core of a seashell and a petrified prospector's pucker.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Here are a couple better shots of the bear. It was broken off a larger piece. Maybe a pipe?

DSCN0584.JPGDSCN0585.JPG

• Like 8
  • well done 1

Sweet finds Bob. Is the bear made out of slate or plastic? It looks like a slate in the pic.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Sweet finds Bob. Is the bear made out of slate or plastic? It looks like a slate in the pic.

It is stone of some kind. A fine grained basalt or something very close. It leaves a gray streak and is fairly soft. It was shaped with abrasion. You can carve it away fairly easily with a silica stone.

It is really crystallized under a loupe. It looks like an iron rich volcanic of some sort to me. It could certainly be a sedimentary/metamorphic type rock though. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Nice relics!

What diamond fields, please?

fred

The Cook's Peak kimberlite pipe Fred. Just east of where Chupacabra Creek meets the Hatch River. Just a few miles east and a little north of Lake Deming.

Lots of diamonds in a layer just above bedrock. An ancient sea bed I think. Some are as big as your thumb. I have found lots of them. Some I sell to DeBeers and the little ones I save for slingshot ammo.

No doubt the petrified prospector's pucker was formed when an early prospector discovered a big diamond. Many prospectors have lost their a$$ in the Deming diamond fields. I have found several just laying around on the ground. :)

Now, Bob;

I know you live on an extreme diet of harassment and BSing innocent people...or is that naïve.

I have never read or seen anything about diamonds in New Mexico...maybe they are quartz rocks?

Perhaps you have some reference material to offer...and pictures?

Thanks

fred

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Now, Bob;

I know you live on an extreme diet of harassment and BSing innocent people...or is that naïve.

I have never read or seen anything about diamonds in New Mexico...maybe they are quartz rocks?

Perhaps you have some reference material to offer...and pictures?

Thanks

fred

Innocent people? :laught16:

Come on Fred. That is as rare as diamonds in these parts. And I have never harassed anyone that has not richly deserved it. 

As far as BS goes that is for each man to sort out on his own. Could I have found the legendary lost Deming diamond deposit or am I just smoking the kimberlite pipe? The question will only be answered by the most adventurous among us.

Until then I am scratching glass and fat stacking Benjies in a hole on Chupacabra Creek just east of Lake Deming. I'm finding a few bears, shells and stone buttholes while I am at it too. :inocent:

• Like 1

Please Fred, Don't get sucked in! 

Old Tom

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Please Fred, Don't get sucked in! 

Old Tom

Don't worry Tom. Those things don't have any teeth. Besides it is petrified. Think of it like a stuffed rattlesnake. It looks really spooky but it is completely harmless.:25r30wi:

It is up to each man to decide how irritated he needs to get over my posts. The choice is yours to make. I don't think Fred is bothered at all with my banter. Others  choose to get really swollen up over it. It is a free country and I would not dare infringe on anyone's right to get all puffy and hurt over something I posted. :)

• Like 2

As I have said before, I enjoy most of what BB writes. I have been known to stir some stuff and he excels at the art.

Well, I may have to look it up, since you did not give up your secrets!

fred

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

As I have said before, I enjoy most of what BB writes. I have been known to stir some stuff and he excels at the art.

Well, I may have to look it up, since you did not give up your secrets!

fred

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

A barren (supposedly) pipe area not mentioned in the article, and actually the one I thought you had been referencing because of its short distance to/from, along with your directional nod toward 'Lake Deming' , is the Potrillo \ Portrillo Mos / Mas / Maas / Maas'.. Since they noted NM at all they should have also mentioned at least the other few better-known barren (supposedly) pipes scattered throughout NM rather than just mentioning the locale nearest the CO / WY producer(s)..

I call short-shrift.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al

HEy, thanks mucho! Something new to read and explore vicariously....

fred

• Like 1

Hi Bob, your time spent on this forum is some of the most provocative, erudite and confounding writing you will find anywhere. Keep it coming, ultimately we are all better for it...albeit a touch bruised, but that's a part of growing. Later...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago I was prospecting in the general vicinity of the Caballo Mts. in Sierra County. I met a guy who said he was doing materials sampling on mining claims held by a big company. He had a contraption on the back of his truck and a bunch of equipment mounted all over it. I asked him what it was and he told me it was a diamond jig.

There were a couple cone bottom tanks and a vibrating box. He would put material in the top and after a dozen buckets or so he would dump the box. That would go over a vibrating sluice box with a grease covered mat in the bottom. After a few runs he would put that greasy matting in a bucket of gasoline and collect the stuff that stuck to the grease. It looked like black sand. But under a microscope it looked more like tiny little obsidian nodules.

He told me they were little carbonados and we were standing on a kimberlite pipe that extended up from very deep in the earth. They are used as abrasives and that the company that hired him was considering mining them.

That was over three decades ago and no mining has ever been done in that location. I have been back to that spot several times. It is about 30 miles from my house. I have often threatened to make a little grease table and see if I can recover some of them but I never have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

A barren (supposedly) pipe area not mentioned in the article, and actually the one I thought you had been referencing because of its short distance to/from, along with your directional nod toward 'Lake Deming' , is the Potrillo \ Portrillo Mos / Mas / Maas / Maas'.. Since they noted NM at all they should have also mentioned at least the other few better-known barren (supposedly) pipes scattered throughout NM rather than just mentioning the locale nearest the CO / WY producer(s)..

I call short-shrift.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

The Kilbourne Hole, Phillips Hole, Potrillo area is a direct conduit to the bowels of the earth. And there is definitely persistent rumors of a rich diamond mine in that area. There is also a story about a vertical fissure where diamonds can be found in the Pedernal Hills near Estancia. That also happens to be right on top of a kimberlite pipe. It is a strange coincidence that both of these stories just happen to be located in geology suitable for diamonds.

I have been told that there are 11 kimberlite pipes and another half dozen lamprolite tubes in New Mexico. As far as I know only the Deming diamond fields have had any mining activity.

• Like 2

There's been diamonds found while dredging in California which unfortunately isn't allowed anymore. But I doubt if many of the dredgers would recognize diamonds in the rough.

• Like 3

Morlock I dredged in the Sierra's for years and I doubt if I could have recognized a diamond in the rough. Gold? No problem...

• Like 2

The first thing I need to do is 'repair' a word.. Proper corrected spelling is mor / mar / maar, not mos / mas / maas.. The most common definition for maar is: a volcanic crater produced by explosion in an area of low relief and often contains a lake, pond, or marsh.. When dry, the word hole is commonly used as well.. My bad, my -30-

Ok.. Did y'all know CA is the 3rd largest producer of diamonds in the United States..? What makes this statement exceptional is the sources of these stones as of this moment remain un-discovered; the diamonds tend to turn up almost exclusively as a by-product in the heavies of in-water gold recovery..

So you nailed it purt good there, Morlock.. While it would be nice to dredge, we don't need to.. The odds of them showing up in a pan are just as good as in a dredge.. It's more important knowing where they've been found in the past, and I do have lots of those locations..

However, if we're gonna go after diamonds with a gold pan out y'all's way I'd much prefer heading to the WY - CO stateline area.. I'd (we'd) need to check the rules & regs for Wyoming, but that's the place to be stateside for Moh's 10 these days..

Let's go..! ! !

Swamp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

However, if we're gonna go after diamonds with a gold pan out y'all's way I'd much prefer heading to the WY - CO stateline area.. I'd (we'd) need to check the rules & regs for Wyoming, but that's the place to be stateside for Moh's 10 these days..

Let's go..! ! !

Swamp

Back in the 19th century their was a diamond hoax which attracted a lot interest in the states. Pretty interesting article. Ironically, about 100 years later, diamonds were found not far from the original salted site near the Wyoming-Colorado border.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-great-diamond-hoax-of-1872-2630188/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

Back in the 19th century their was a diamond hoax which attracted a lot interest in the states. Pretty interesting article. Ironically, about 100 years later, diamonds were found not far from the original salted site near the Wyoming-Colorado border.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-great-diamond-hoax-of-1872-2630188/

Good read..! Here's a link I have to some additional info on this scam, included in a Hausel report on Wyoming geology and the geology of the stateline region: 
https://www.geowyo.com/wyoming-diamonds.html
Included are photos of the scammers, the scammees and comparison / contrast photos of precious gemstones against their look-alike diamond-indicator minerals.. Hausel also states he just recently panned out some of the bogus stuff planted 100 years ago.. Surprise..! :yikes:  Normally I'd take that kind of surprise every day, especially if they were what I was actually looking for at the time..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

The first thing I need to do is 'repair' a word.. Proper corrected spelling is mor / mar / maar, not mos / mas / maas.. The most common definition for maar is: a volcanic crater produced by explosion in an area of low relief and often contains a lake, pond, or marsh.. When dry, the word hole is commonly used as well.. My bad, my -30-

Ok.. Did y'all know CA is the 3rd largest producer of diamonds in the United States..? What makes this statement exceptional is the sources of these stones as of this moment remain un-discovered; the diamonds tend to turn up almost exclusively as a by-product in the heavies of in-water gold recovery..

So you nailed it purt good there, Morlock.. While it would be nice to dredge, we don't need to.. The odds of them showing up in a pan are just as good as in a dredge.. It's more important knowing where they've been found in the past, and I do have lots of those locations..

Let's go..! ! !

Swamp

There are three in the area you speak of. Kilbourne, Aden and Phillips. They are not kimberlite nor lamprolite but a peridot/olivine rich pipe in any case. Real geological oddities for sure.

They found a mummified giant sloth in a volcanic vent at Killbourne back in my younger days. Perfectly preserved.

When I was jut a small child my whole family would go there often and break the nodules in search of big olivine crystals. I had an uncle who could sell the stones for pretty good money and all the kids loved to hunt for the gemstones. 

My uncle was a locally famous treasure hunter and miner by the name of Price Paschal. He dug all the artifact sites, swept bedrock for gold and made crafts from the items he found in the desert. He had a little gem, mineral and jewelry shop on Alameda St. in Las Cruces where he bought and sold all sorts of stuff found in the desert. He heard all the tales from various old desert rats and saw all their treasures. He was convinced that there were diamonds out there near the craters somewhere.

He and another old timer that went by the name of "Heavy" were involved in several digs for gemstones and artifacts. They sold a bunch of stuff over the years to the Mormon Church and regularly met at a local restaurant with Mormon elders to sell their finds. They would sit at a booth and tell stories and lay all sorts of treasures out on the table. Many stories in this area came from bystanders who saw them at the café and told tall tales of their own. 

Price, Heavy and another fellow named Ben Swartz were involved in some gun running for the Israeli army. They evidently got a bunch of diamonds and cash as payment but something went south. Price closed up shop and went to Mississippi, Heavy disappeared for a couple of years and Ben committed suicide. A dozen years later Price and Heavy returned and started digging holes at night around the old Mesilla Park train depot. They got caught several times by the railroad as well as local law. 

Price and Heavy lived to be grumpy., tough old men. Until the day they died they insisted Ben had buried a fortune in diamonds and cash near the railroad tracks in Mesilla Park before he passed. Thy even bought a piece of property on S. Main St. where they excavated a big hole before selling it. The area today has completely changed and there is nothing left of the buildings on that side of the road. If there was ever a treasure buried there it is either long gone or buried under a big urban improvement project.

Old timers in town still tell their own versions of the story and the legend of the "diamonds under the railroad tracks" is persistent here.  Many conflate his stories and say the diamonds were found at Kilbourne hole. A couple of years a go a fellow contacted me for information on the "Kilbourne hole diamonds" that Price found. They had heard he would take his family out there and they would find them and then stash them under the railroad tracks! That just goes to show how a story gets twisted around when told by word of mouth. I assured him the family was digging for olivine crystals and he called me a liar and told me I was hiding the "real truth" about the diamonds.

As far as I know Price never had any diamonds. He may certainly have seen some and was told they came from the craters. He may have sold some and told people he found them in the craters.  I think the story of the loot under the railroad tracks is true though because of the extreme effort he and Heavy put into the search. Those diamonds were supposed to be payment for weapons used by the Israelis. It stands to reason that Price and Heavy knew how to make an arms deal and Ben was an Israeli citizen and an officer in their army. 

Whatever the story was it died with Heavy Linsey. He passed about 1995 or so and was the last link in the chain. Just before my auntie passed she gave me a bunch of Price's stuff. There were lots of maps, papers, artifacts and a half ton of sweet rocks. None are diamonds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1