Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Idaho Jim

Got the rock crusher finished..

Took a couple of months, working 3 or 4 hours/day. Didin't work well on the first two iterations, but I kept at it and finally figured out what was required in the design. Not much info out there on the critical details that are required. I'll be selling plans and instructions on building this, or other jaw crushers.

Jim's crusher

Jim

• Like 3

I have a Chipmunk, works wonders when sampling.

• Like 1

A guy near me is selling one of those, but wants $2,000. WAY outside my budget. Mine cost me about $200.

Jim

• Like 1

Nice machine Jim. It sure gobbles up the rock fast. Got to hand it to ya :thumbsupanim

Tom H.

Nice job Jim!

That is a rock eatin' sob. :thumbsupanim

Jim, indeed and your design looks strikingly similar. Great job. I like your price point better.

I appreciate the kind words, guys. I've been wanting one of these for a few years. Noticed on the 'net, several people wondering about how to build one, or wanting plans. So, along with the other equpment plans I offer, I figured I'd tackle this and see what I could do. It does good on the relatively soft rhyolite, but we'll see in the spring how it does on harder rock. The amount of offset on the shaft determines the crushing force. More offset = less force, but faster crushing, and vis-versa. I started with 1/8" offset, and it didn't work. Then changed the toggle, still didn't work. Then, I wrongly thought it was the offset, and went to a new shaft with 1/4" offset. Still didn't work. Finally figured out the problem, and it works fine. Probably would also work fine with 1/8" offset, but would be a little slower, but would handle hard rock better. That treadmill motor would probably do hard rock better with less offset, too

Jim

On 2/7/2019 at 10:29 AM, GeoJack said:

Jim, indeed and your design looks strikingly similar. Great job. I like your price point better.

I think your Chipmunk is a little bigger, though, Jack. Won't they handle 3 x 4 rock, or even a little bigger? They really are nice machine....though spendy, and hard to find.

Jim

Jim, yes a little bit bigger but I size mine down to 3 x 3 or smaller, I converted mine to gas from electric and couple it with my impact mill for minus 30 output. Historic screen size for the quartz / gold in the area.

Nice machine Jim.   You must have a machine shop to do it for $200?

I have a chipmunk also.  Please design me a small roller crusher to follow it (and yours)  Grin

2 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Jim, yes a little bit bigger but I size mine down to 3 x 3 or smaller, I converted mine to gas from electric and couple it with my impact mill for minus 30 output. Historic screen size for the quartz / gold in the area.

The next project for me is an impact crusher. Need to reduce the jaw's 1/4 minus output to -30. The impact crusher will be a simpler project, I think.

Jim

1 hour ago, LipCa said:

Nice machine Jim.   You must have a machine shop to do it for $200?

I have a chipmunk also.  Please design me a small roller crusher to follow it (and yours)  Grin

Yup...I've got a fairly well-equipped shop. Lathe, mill, welders, plasma cutter, etc. The roller crusher would be tough. Need hardened rollers for that. I've thought of building a small one, but always decided I needed something else more...LOL

Jim

• Like 1

Jim, my Chipmunk is set to 1/4 to 3/16", then the impact pulverizes it down to minus 30. I don't think my jaws go smaller.

23 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

Jim, my Chipmunk is set to 1/4 to 3/16", then the impact pulverizes it down to minus 30. I don't think my jaws go smaller.

Jack, the very nature of jaw crushers precludes the ability to crush finer than the jaw movement. If you have any movement at all at the lower end of the jaw, the smallest size you can set the output to is equal to that movement. The problem I had with the first two attempts with mine, was too little movement at the lower end of the jaw. Mine now has about the same movement at the bottom as the top, but the timing on the movements is different. One breaks on the upstroke, and one on the downstroke. The movement is 1/4", so the smallest size I can get is 1/4" minus....maybe slightly bigger as I don't want the moving jaw to strike the fixed jaw at the bottom. It's possible to have the movement at the bottom less than the movement at the top, by varying the angle on the toggle. By making that movement less, you could get a smaller output, but at the expense of lower output rate. IMHO, as long as it crushes to <3/8" that's all that's needed before putting it in the impact crusher.

Jim

Edited by Idaho Jim
  • Like 1