Nugget Shooter Forums
pRoDiEuS

Could this be Magnetite and quartz?

Hey everyone,

As I was going through my rock collection from when I was a kid I decided to run a magnet through the box to see what would stick. This was the only rock to stick. It has a very strong pull to the magnet. It looks like quartz mixed with some other kind of black mineral. Would this be magnetite  mixed with quartz? Or something else? I found it in alberta canada as a kid most likely by Fort Saskatchewan or possibly south east alberta. 

20190205_192632.jpg

20190205_192748.jpg

20190205_192557.jpg

Tough to say for certain from a picture alone. Could be magnetite. Might be schorl, but it doesn't look quite right for that. 

3 minutes ago, d_day said:

Tough to say for certain from a picture alone. Could be magnetite. Might be schorl, but it doesn't look quite right for that. 

Is there a way I can test it?

A hardness test would help. Magnetite has a hardness of 5.5-6.5. Schorl has a hardness of 7-7.5. 

The sample sticking strongly to a magnet would make me say you have a piece of quartz (white stuff) with magnetite (black stuff) in it.