Nugget Shooter Forums

Had one strike my boot in the Stillwater range while chukar hunting in November one year. Cant remember the temp, but it was in the lo to mid 40s with rain. Had 2 perfect little pin holes toward the back heel of my boot. It was lethargic as heck but still had enough coil power to ram my boot pretty good. Thats the only way i knew something was there. I felt my foot get hit from behind as i was picking it up to take a step. I guess any time any where is possible. 

• wow 1

Can rattlesnake fangs pierce leather boots under the best of circumstances? Someone once told me years ago a rattler struck the side of his boot but didn't know it at the time.  Later on, his foot was showing signs of infection and discomfort. Long story short, he found two detached fangs had pierced the boot leaving just enough of the tips to scratch his skin every time he put on and took off his boots. Later, he checked the boots since it was a localized area that was causing issues and found the detached fangs sticking out of the boot.

I find the story totally implausible but if true, he must have been the unluckiest guy in the world.

back in 1975 moon lit night woke up had to piss. put on steel toe and heel high top boots  walked around the cornen of the cabin felt it hit me in the heel so steped on it's head. next morning pulled out three fangs, two together one single caught between leagher and steel. glad me did not put on slippers.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Morlock said:

Can rattlesnake fangs pierce leather boots under the best of circumstances? Someone once told me years ago a rattler struck the side of his boot but didn't know it at the time.  Later on, his foot was showing signs of infection and discomfort. Long story short, he found two detached fangs had pierced the boot leaving just enough of the tips to scratch his skin every time he put on and took off his boots. Later, he checked the boots since it was a localized area that was causing issues and found the detached fangs sticking out of the boot.

I find the story totally implausible but if true, he must have been the unluckiest guy in the world.

I am very positive that it depends on the quality of boot. Cheap boots that are constructed of man made leather and materials, im sure would not stop a puncture. Especially if not insulated or a good liner. Im sure if i was wearing my detector boots i have now when that happened, it would have penetrated. I wear heavy duty Danner boots for hunting but i dont wear them detecting because of how hot it gets. Just my opinion though.

8 hours ago, Morlock said:

I agree that the story may sound implausible but I have heard similar stories too many times to discount them entirely. Within the last couple of years I've had 2 neighbors struck and they didn't realize it immediately. Both were single fang strikes, one in the foot and the other was a hit on an index finger. Neither snakes were observed at the time of the strike(s). The first victim thought she had been stung by a scorpion. The second victim had reached down to pick up a can in the yard at the edge of his house and he thought he had snagged his finger on a sharp piece of tin that was hanging down. The finger bite victim went inside and examined the wound, then back outside to check the area and saw the snake still coiled up at the site. 

I've heard several stories over the years of snake fangs that were broken off in flat tires which resulted in a scratch or puncture wound while handling the tires. Those stories may also sound a bit improbable but I actually read one such report in a local newspaper. It seems odd that there would be enough venom remaining inside or on the fangs to cause a bite effect involving swelling and discoloration.

I've worn out several pairs of snake gaiters over the years and have come to the conclusion that they protect you from cactus more often than they do snakes.

About 15 years ago on an early winter morning a good friend was squatting down to dig a target, right over a coiled rattler. He was not coiled in defense, just kind of positioned that way waiting for the sun to warm things up. I noticed the snake and called out to my friend 'Bro, you've gotta come check this out! Right now! So damned amazing!' he walked over and jokingly said 'What's so great that my nugget has to wait?' I pointed to the rattler. He was very thankful and lucky. We still chuckle about that now and then.

Detector Pro makes the one ear model Rattler headphones. Another friend of ours swears by them. I've been thankful for the wireless module on the GPZ and the loud speaker on the Monster. Works much better than the old SD/GP amps when you need to lay down and crawl through the tight spots. 

• Like 1

Some good information here, and cautionary tales, as well.

I've only had a couple run in's with rattlers. One surprised me under my truck, in my driveway. He stuck his head out from under the truck, as I went to get in the rig to leave for work. He looked at me, I looked at him, and we left in opposite directions. I recall calmly stepping back, but my neighbor saw the whole thing, and has a different story....

The other was close. I took the Wife and teenage kids to Palouse falls State park, in Wa. ( GO there if you get a chance, it's worth the trip)

We were walking down a two rut trail, and one buzzed me right at my feet, from under a sagebrush bush. My stepson was half a step in front of me. I reflexively shoved him away, and stepped back. Mr. Snake headed off the other way. I got sloppy. I had no reason to not be in the center of the trail. Getting lucky, instead of smart isn't a good way to be... Lesson learned.

I'm not paranoid about snakes, but I give them a wide berth, and a lot of respect!

Regards, Kyle

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

What would you guys do if you came face to face with a mountain lion?

https://apnews.com/5d1d146b9387422a8684e49adecd6209

Not surprised that the lion's instincts were activated by the runner. That's nature working as designed.

Lions are more aggressive in some areas due to human proximity and frequency. Out in Cali my cousin has had some interesting experiences with them while prospecting, but all turned out well.

I've encountered two lions in the field in remote areas. Both ran away quickly. Frankly, it's not a big worry.

I was more concerned about Grizzlies and Moose detecting deep in Alaska. Sing songs as you hike through the forest, creeks, and berries to let them know you're coming. They will respond by heading out of the area 99 percent of the time. Just don't expect that near a river full of salmon from bears. The bears are generally amicable to your company as a fellow angler as long as you don't get crazy. It's just something we have in common, both humans and nature love good food.

Nature is grand. Stay safe and enjoy life!

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 10:53 PM, Trailertrash said:

I'm not paranoid about snakes, but I give them a wide berth, and a lot of respect!

Regards, Kyle

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2019/03/06/phoenix-man-samuel-evans-first-test-new-us-rattlesnake-anti-venom/3062483002/

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Morlock said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2019/03/06/phoenix-man-samuel-evans-first-test-new-us-rattlesnake-anti-venom/3062483002

I hope to avoid ever needing antivenin. Seems like this guy was/is a bit of a slow learner. "His 5th bite", and no insurance on top of it all. "I'll be paying for this for a long time". Yeah, my bet is WE will be paying for his stupidity, for a long time. 

Some people's kids....

Kyle

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Trailertrash said:
5 hours ago, Morlock said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2019/03/06/phoenix-man-samuel-evans-first-test-new-us-rattlesnake-anti-venom/3062483002

I hope to avoid ever needing antivenin. Seems like this guy was/is a bit of a slow learner. "His 5th bite", and no insurance on top of it all. "I'll be paying for this for a long time". Yeah, my bet is WE will be paying for his stupidity, for a long time. 

Some people's kids....

Kyle

Did you read the part in the article where it stated  "We have historically had patients bitten in the face". What in the world are they trying to do? Kiss them???

53 minutes ago, Trailertrash said:
5 hours ago, Morlock said:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Morlock said:

Did you read the part in the article where it stated  "We have historically had patients bitten in the face". What in the world are they trying to do? Kiss them???

Lol, no kidding. I've read somewhere that a large percentage of snake bites have two things in common. A male, and alcohol. I've survived plenty of "Dude, hold my beer, and watch this" moments over the years. Some left scars, some just made good stories, but none involved poisonous snakes.

There was a Canadian goose that gave me a hell of a beat down once, but that's another story.

Regards, Kyle

• Haha 2

i never worry about them nor do I wear snake chaps and yes I do use headphones most of the time-:arrowheadsmiley: IMO Think snake=See snake-so quit worrying about them and enjoy the hunt -Lions and Tigers and Bears-Oh my :tisk-tisk:Mike C...:200:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Mike C... said:

i never worry about them nor do I wear snake chaps and yes I do use headphones most of the time-:arrowheadsmiley: IMO Think snake=See snake-so quit worrying about them and enjoy the hunt -Lions and Tigers and Bears-Oh my :tisk-tisk:Mike C...:200:

"Think snake" is good advice, and what I use in the field. Jeff Cooper called a lack of situational awareness "condition white". I try to live in "condition yellow", as much as possible. Alert, aware, ready to respond, but not paranoid...

Works for avoiding meth-heads at Walmart, also:m2c:

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1

What I do is "think like a snake", if I were a snake where would I be and why, if I see just an area then I'm cautious in that area, of course to do this you have to know a little bit about snakes and their habitat in the area you're in.

• Like 1