Nugget Shooter Forums
azdigger

Went to the freshwater Beach again

Got tired of not getting out , so I went to Bullhead City with the excuse of getting cheap gas...2.08 a gal , then I went to the fresh water beach.

Looking at the tracks I could tell I was not the only person to have been there, the water was high so I went to the swimming area.

First target...bottle cap... 2nd target , newer penny , hit a strong solid 21 on the Equinox....third target , showed it was deep , I dug , about 4 inches down I still got good reading, kept digging . Out popped my target....did not look right , washed it off in river....1943 D steel wheat penny....made my whole day...pics to follow.

• Like 6
  • well done 3

Very nice find considering the age. Whatever you do... DON'T clean it.

• Thanks 1

Only cleaning I did was to rinse it in the river to get sand off of it...

Funny thing , it was found on a newer beach , I think some kid got into a coin collection...searched that area real slow....nothing else

19 hours ago, River Styx said:

About 6 g’s and up I think

Not for a 1943D steel penny, all of the steel 1943 pennies were minted in high numbers and even in the best of condition they're only worth .50 cent to a couple of bucks...BUT if you find a 1943 D/D steel penny it's worth a good amount but nowhere near $6000, usually from around $50 and up to around $2000 to $3000 for a MS65, now if you luck up and find a bronze/copper 1943 either no mint mark or any other mint mark..now you're talking about some money and possibly retiring, there are less than 25 known to exsist, all pennies minted in 1943 were supposed to be steel due to copper being needed for the war effort, but a few bronze/copper coins were struck before the mistake was corrected.

Here's a photo of D/D mint mark on a 1943 D/D steel penny, so it would pay to check any 1943 D mint mark steel penny to check for the very slight double die D/D mint mark.

2715_37655219_Max.jpg

• Like 2

Yup. I had it backwards. It’s been a Long time since I read it. Here it is

and ty 

An extremely limited number of 1943 cents were inadvertently struck on copper planchets, left in the machinery from the previous year. Very few escaped the mint unnoticed, and these are considered very desirable to collectors. Auction histories indicate the value range of an authentic 1943 copper cent to be from around $5,000 to $70,000, depending on the mint and condition. However, copper-plated forgeries abound. The primary test for these is to use a magnet. The common steel & zinc pieces (and the 1943 copper-plated fakes, as well as authentic cents from other years) will stick to the magnet. The rare copper issues will not.

link

https://coins.ha.com/c/ref/questions.zx#War_Nickels

• Like 2

Checked with high power glass, just a 1943 D, nothing special . Well except it was my first wheat and first steel penny....works for me.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, River Styx said:

Yup. I had it backwards. It’s been a Long time since I read it. Here it is

and ty 

An extremely limited number of 1943 cents were inadvertently struck on copper planchets, left in the machinery from the previous year. Very few escaped the mint unnoticed, and these are considered very desirable to collectors. Auction histories indicate the value range of an authentic 1943 copper cent to be from around $5,000 to $70,000, depending on the mint and condition. However, copper-plated forgeries abound. The primary test for these is to use a magnet. The common steel & zinc pieces (and the 1943 copper-plated fakes, as well as authentic cents from other years) will stick to the magnet. The rare copper issues will not.

link

https://coins.ha.com/c/ref/questions.zx#War_Nickels

The bronze/copper 1943 pennies have gone way up in value, a 1943 RD(RED) PCGS graded MS 63 sold for $1,000,000, a 1943 D BN(BROWN) PCGS graded MS 64 sold for $1,500,000, no known 1943 S have been known to be sold, nor any others colors/mint mark combinations.

Just an FYI, pennies are usually graded in 3 different colors, BN...brown, RB...red/brown, and RD...red. 

• Like 2