Nugget Shooter Forums

Rock, material identification

Looking at what I had in possession for a month or so. initially had interest in its dusty yellow veins and decided to break it  only now. It does seem to have crystalised fragments within, and the yellow veins continue.

Any suggestions?

P.S, with hand lens the yellow veins look almost like colonies of something due to their tubular structure.

image.jpg

Where was this found?  It almost looks like Sulphur from the Pic.   

Old Tom

7 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Where was this found?  It almost looks like Sulphur from the Pic.   

Old Tom

If I'm recalling correctly, at a beach. The shell or the outside material is common to the area, it's the structure and the yellow parts that intrigued me. Turns out they clearly continue to complicate themselves within and it does not appear like sand to me.

I will try to get better pictures

16 minutes ago, Jeff M said:

Hi,

will it scratch glass? What beach or area?

The material that makes up the better part of the rock is typical sandstone yet involves a mixture of different compositions, crystals included. The outer shell won't scratch glass significantly if at all, It seems to leave a trail of dust rather than a scratch.
The entirety of the area is mostly defined by Calcareous sandstone and Sand dunes, the beach as well.

10 hours ago, Rocollector said:

Israel.

Was this found near a dried lake bed, volcanic area or artillery used area?  All these things are factors in judgment of the samples. 

Old Tom :black_knight_standing:

9 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Was this found near a dried lake bed, volcanic area or artillery used area?  All these things are factors in judgment of the samples. 

Old Tom :black_knight_standing:

None of them. Though because it was found at a beach, it might got swept away from some place elsewhere.

What do you have in mind?

Also, if it can be of any importance, prior to breaking the rock, its structure was somewhat round yet grotesque and it had a lot of holes and cavities.

don and me were prospecting, we were really tired. climbed up out of a wash, big white boulders me went to sit on one he yelled not to touch it, sit down without touching it with your hands and don't move your butt. it was an ancient sea bed. the surface was like razor blades. amazing they could still be that sharp. there is some blueish coral around there too butt smooth surface.

9 hours ago, Morlock said:

Coral

I'm with Morlock on this one, Coral.

Old Tom