Nugget Shooter Forums
GeoJack

Teaching Newby

I have been sharing my knowledge on prospecting with a neighbor and showing him how to pan and where to look for AU. Went out yesterday afternoon for a short trip to move some rocks and clean up some bedrock. Bottom of the bucket produced this one picker. We only processed less than a 5 gal bucket. 

Unfortunately at the end of the day he mentioned he and his other friend were going to go down and walk my claim. Bummer. After all I had told him about not sharing ANY of the information I was giving him, he didn't listen. Wife doesn't want to have him with us anymore and I've got to break the news to him that he crossed the line with taking with others. Ultimately it is my fault for sharing too much. Thoughts?

20190127_170633.jpg

20190127_170852.jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

I have been sharing my knowledge on prospecting with a neighbor and showing him how to pan and where to look for AU. Went out yesterday afternoon for a short trip to move some rocks and clean up some bedrock. Bottom of the bucket produced this one picker. We only processed less than a 5 gal bucket. 

Unfortunately at the end of the day he mentioned he and his other friend were going to go down and walk my claim. Bummer. After all I had told him about not sharing ANY of the information I was giving him, he didn't listen. Wife doesn't want to have him with us anymore and I've got to break the news to him that he crossed the line with taking with others. Ultimately it is my fault for sharing too much. Thoughts?

20190127_170633.jpg

20190127_170852.jpg

A Wild and beautiful piece of gold space debris! I hope you find the asteroid it broke off of Jack. As we know, disclosure of too much information is a common human frailty. But unless we choose to be hermits and misers, it's a chance we sometimes take in life. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to reintroduce some of your slithering rattle friends back into the environment . . . ?  Seriously though, you might try to impress upon him your justifiable privacy and security concerns regarding the potential danger that can be associated with rumors of gold, where it can be had, who has it etc. Not to mention the likely loss of your personal assets.  But if he's that naive to begin with, maybe just a straight forward a$$ chewing would be more effective. Good luck with your decision.

I'm thinking a little salt on that ass chew. I have repeatedly mentioned past episodes of people not respecting the agreement to not repeat information I give to them. Def ears.

I don't know what to do on this.  I've considered non-disclosure agreement.  Depending on the person, can be not worth the paper its written on.  Also, about what to do with the claim you have, to me has how much gold you really think is on there.  A claim is like a bank account where deposits are not made, only withdrawals.  There's only so much money in it. The main claim I have I would not be that upset and give the guy a second chance, but that is because I'm now convinced the paystreak that is in there was mined by the old timers decades ago, so I'm not that worried about losing gold I feel has been withdrawn from the bank.

Jack in your case you were nice enough to help this guy, to share your knowledge and show how the process works.  You warned him multiple times to not share information but he went ahead and did it anyway.  I don't know that I'd stop going with him, if he's a nice guy that you like and is fun to be around I would still go with him, I just would not take him to any new ground that I found until I had worked it to my satisfaction.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys. Chris, not really about the gold, it's about his word, and paying attention to MY word. Bit of a generation gap, 30 years but it shouldn't matter when you say don't touch and then disregard. He's a nice guy with severe physical ailments and why I've befriended him. I'll give him a talk, which he takes to heart as he will remind me of just about every time I have gone off the hook on him before on other things. I just need to keep the trap shut and put things back out at arms reach for awhile. Where we were was private property / common area of the sub-division we live in so he has his own area to prospect now.

Edited by GeoJack

I  personally know just how you feel.  It's like a punch in the gut to have a friend turn on you like that.  It all depends on his physical problems and mental awareness.  Give him a good talking to and see just how it works out.  I had a friend like that an it took some delicate sternness to get things across sometimes.  He would eventually get the point and things would smooth out.  Have patience but remain firm, he'll respect it.  :nono:  

Old Tom

o

3 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Thanks... 

Hey bro -- I've seen two different things in this thread.. Depending which is correct affects my reply.. Sooo:

Is it an actual claim of yours or is it common land..? Or is it two different events, one on each property..?

Swamp

Investing in others is always a risk. I've been burned as well. People will make all kinds of promises and fail to deliver. They will also try to excuse their behaviour. I've heard it all...I promise to never return without you...As soon as I find a wash with big nuggets you'll be the first to know. Promises are like babies, fun to make and hell to deliver. 

Let it go. Make peace with it. Find value in the experience. Let it teach and guide you. Maybe it's an opportunity for you to change too. Hopefully, some day, you can be friends with him again and rebuild trust. 

Perhaps his intentions were good, but misguided. Maybe you motivated him to be more active if he has physical limits. That's positive. Step back and try to see a larger picture. Calm your mind. Have no expectations. Understand and replicate the experiences that make you happy. Life is full and good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Hey bro -- I've seen two different things in this thread.. Depending which is correct affects my reply.. Sooo:

Is it an actual claim of yours or is it common land..? Or is it two different events, one on each property..?

Swamp

Al, actual BLM claim, over the ridge is common land of the sub division. I showed him how to pan on my claim, providing him with materials from areas I knew would put some Au in his pan. Move him over the hill to the common area so he had knowledge of where to work (bedrock). 

• Like 1

Rod, just had him over, I'm chillin on the situation and will continue to work with him on building his knowledge. We spoke of the situation and he mentioned his friend is stoved up and not really able to move dirt. I responded with my knowledge of the area and that it would take a lot of work to get a lot of gold so no big deal. Working it out without the stress as you said.

Thanks.

• Like 4
  • well done 1

Funny side on this story, get back from the canyon and had the AU under my microscope, still had some bits stuck to it so I put it in a small tub, shook it around and then drained the water out. As I was tapping the tub against my hand for the piece to drop out it came down bounced against the fatty area  below my thumb and right down the drain in the sink. The look on his face was priceless. I was laughing and said I'll get it out tomorrow because right now I'm going to go take a shower and eat dinner. He looked like a whupped pup. I saw my big green gold pan on the deck so I went out and grabbed it, put it under the sink and popped the P trap off and recovered the piece and sent him home. His dad says, "you spent all that time to get that?" lol

• Haha 5

On 1/29/2019 at 8:54 AM, Rod said:

Investing in others is always a risk. I've been burned as well. People will make all kinds of promises and fail to deliver. They will also try to excuse their behaviour. I've heard it all...I promise to never return without you...As soon as I find a wash with big nuggets you'll be the first to know. Promises are like babies, fun to make and hell to deliver. 

Let it go. Make peace with it. Find value in the experience. Let it teach and guide you. Maybe it's an opportunity for you to change too. Hopefully, some day, you can be friends with him again and rebuild trust. 

Perhaps his intentions were good, but misguided. Maybe you motivated him to be more active if he has physical limits. That's positive. Step back and try to see a larger picture. Calm your mind. Have no expectations. Understand and replicate the experiences that make you happy. Life is full and good.

Thank you.