Nugget Shooter Forums
Rocky

The Fallout!! Pt.2 Classified!!

5 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Yo Rocky -- I gotta couple questions for ya:

1) Wherefore / whyfor the name..? 

I mean, sure, I see a last name.. Is it your wife's maiden name..?
And I see barn + stable, which ermmm on the surface doesn't make much sense to me

Swamp

I think there's a certain criteria for naming meteorites but I'm going to let Rocky chime in on this topic.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 4:44 AM, Rocky said:

I remember that LOL, I was starving to go there!!! In fact I was offered to stay some where but financially I couldn’t swing it at the time. Now I find this baby and I can finally make the trip!!! Certainly  luck but I also believe in the rules of attracti

Try to post some pictures of your trip to Tucson.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:15 AM, Rocky said:

Thank you Bob, yes I often think about the fact it was probably very bright coming down and probably noisy as well. Good call pertaining to type!! I was all over the place guessing!! I’m going to be out there soon to try to recover more frags!!!

Rocky I was just guessing by your photos. BTW great photos. I dont always have time to read all these threads. It does have a shield face on it and thats what made me think it may have oriented? anyway a fantastic find. AzNuggetbob

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, Morlock said:

Try to post some pictures of your trip to Tucson.

Anyone hear from Rocky? I thought he would have been back from Tucson by now and posted on his trip.

I met Rocky at the IMCA dinner. He is a cool, handsome young guy. Obviously, he was stoked about his find showing off pieces of his just published Barnstable find and meeting other avid hunters and collectors. I was one of the very first people to buy a piece from him to add to my collection for my talks and show and tell.  I'll add pics of us when I have the time.

billpeters

• Thanks 1

SWEET! I bet some people feel a little silly now 😬😅 Nice work bro

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billpeters said:

I met Rocky at the IMCA dinner. He is a cool, handsome young guy. 

I'll add pics of us when I have the time.

billpeters

We all know he's an absolutely gorgeous looking guy.:laught16: But we want pics.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Morlock said:

We all know he's an absolutely gorgeous looking guy.:laught16: But we want pics.

Pics of Rocky or of the rocks???🤣

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, billpeters said:

I met Rocky at the IMCA dinner. He is a cool, handsome young guy. Obviously, he was stoked about his find showing off pieces of his just published Barnstable find and meeting other avid hunters and collectors. I was one of the very first people to buy a piece from him to add to my collection for my talks and show and tell.  I'll add pics of us when I have the time.

billpeters

It was a real pleasure to meet you Bill!!!! I’m head over heals busy at the moment so I can’t post much at the moment!! Yes Bill is in fact the first purchaser of a Barnstable fragment!! Thank you very much Bill!! I will post more about the meteorite an show later and also answer questions from previous post!!

23E070A1-280D-4A57-BA0D-52B7637CE71B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, munroney said:

SWEET! I bet some people feel a little silly now 😬😅 Nice work bro

Thank you my friend!!! It’s humbling for everyone including myself really. It’s a amazing find for this part of the country!!

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 4:52 AM, AzNuggetBob said:

Rocky I was just guessing by your photos. BTW great photos. I dont always have time to read all these threads. It does have a shield face on it and thats what made me think it may have oriented? anyway a fantastic find. AzNuggetbob

Yes I would consider it shield orientation. It’s pretty clear but opinions may vary.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Thank you my friend!!! It’s humbling for everyone including myself really. It’s a amazing find for this part of the country!!

You ain't kidding me. Instead of having to travel out west for what appeared to be the best odds of finding a meteorite, you found one practically in your own backyard. Just amazing. If that wasn't a serendipitous event, I don't know what the definition is.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Morlock said:

You ain't kidding me. Instead of having to travel out west for what appeared to be the best odds of finding a meteorite, you found one practically in your own backyard. Just amazing. If that wasn't a serendipitous event, I don't know what the definition is.

Like i have said before, i am very ignorant when it comes to meteorites. I have probably thrown several back thinking they were hot rocks. My question is, why is it so surprising Rocky found a space rock where he did? Is it because the west is less populated and you have more area to hunt wich gives you a better chance? Or more wide open with just sparse brush which opens up the area for detecting? I just figure it would be just as possible to find a meteorite on the east coast, midwest and other areas as it does the west coast. Just curious. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Like i have said before, i am very ignorant when it comes to meteorites. I have probably thrown several back thinking they were hot rocks. My question is, why is it so surprising Rocky found a space rock where he did? Is it because the west is less populated and you have more area to hunt wich gives you a better chance? Or more wide open with just sparse brush which opens up the area for detecting? I just figure it would be just as possible to find a meteorite on the east coast, midwest and other areas as it does the west coast. Just curious. 

I'm not a meteorite expert either, but I think it's the cover/trees/undergrowth making them much harder to find but also is the lack of or the present of mositure comes into play, in arid climates the meteorites don't deteriorate as rapidly, so lack of moisture, wide open spaces makes for a much better chance of finding one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

Dan, I don't claim to be an expert on meteorites either but know enough to answer your question.

First, a lot of the land out west is BLM which means you're pretty much free to roam at will. Most land on the east coast is composed of much smaller tracts of private property and permission is needed to hunt. That would discourage a lot of meteorite hunters.

Secondly, the vegetation is sparser out west therefore making it easier to spot meteorites. The east coast has much more vegetation... making them harder to find.

Thirdly, the climate out west is more conducive to the preservation of meteorites since there's less rainfall then the east coast. Almost all meteorites contain iron which as you know is susceptible to rusting. Less rainfall, less rusting.

Add all those together, you have more people hunting for meteorites out west and therefore more finds.

Imho

But Rocky beat the odds on all of them which means he's one lucky sob.:thumbsupanim

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Meteorites can and do fall anywhere and everywhere....dry lake beds are often better because there aren't many plants...blow outs in desert scrub would be good...forests are not easy by sight...but, Rocky proved it can be done!

fred

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I kind of figured those reasons but wasn't really sure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

This is the point I’m trying to convey to everyone when the topic arises, everywhere in the world IMO is equal opportunity hunting! Meteorites fall everywhere just about the same. I know deserts are a easier hunt because the substrate makes it much easier to spot a meteorite. Also IMO since people aren’t hunting my way because it seems crazy and there is so much vegitation Leeds me to believe there are many more larger masses to be found which would have been picked up already in dessert terrain!!! Maybe you disagree with this statement but the fact of the matter it that it’s true they are not being picked up here on a regular basis so they are left out to weather. So I’m conclusion if I recover more finds out here it won’t surprise me that they are more weathered but weathering result in alteration I think sometimes this alteration can result in more stable compounds, it may not be the same meteorite it was when it hit the ground after terrestrial alteration but I believe some can last much longer after this alteration state although I also believe many will disintegrate as well!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rocky said:

Yes I would consider it shield orientation. It’s pretty clear but opinions may vary.

I agree Rocky. I dont see any flight marks on it.and that is typical of a well oriented meteorite.or even a cone shape.but I think it may have 
just started to burn and orient before partially exploding. have you tried to piece it back together like a puzzle? 
That may give you some idea on how much is still missing.

Also where is the easiest place to find meteorites? where there aren't many rocks. :)

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Rocky, Since you were at the Tucson show with all the meteorite dealers, collectors, etc...was there any buzz about that supposed mesosiderite find in Indiana?

5 hours ago, Morlock said:

Rocky, Since you were at the Tucson show with all the meteorite dealers, collectors, etc...was there any buzz about that supposed mesosiderite find in Indiana?

I didn’t here a thing about it. The guy is a regular meteorwrong poster on Facebook. No offense to him but I think maybe it probably turned out false..

Mortlock,

There is no published report of a mesosiderite find in Indiana in the Met Bulletin. There were no significant fireball reports in Indiana this year either. Of the 13 finds known in Indiana four were falls and none were mesosiderates over the last 160 years. Only Mike farmer was able to attain Cuba new fall stone(s) for sale and show and tell at the Tucson Gem show that I know of. No one discussed an Indiana new mesosiderite find in my presence, but that is not saying much.

billpeters

16 hours ago, billpeters said:

Mortlock,

There is no published report of a mesosiderite find in Indiana in the Met Bulletin. There were no significant fireball reports in Indiana this year either. Of the 13 finds known in Indiana four were falls and none were mesosiderates over the last 160 years. Only Mike farmer was able to attain Cuba new fall stone(s) for sale and show and tell at the Tucson Gem show that I know of. No one discussed an Indiana new mesosiderite find in my presence, but that is not saying much.

billpeters

That's strange

I thought he found the real thing until Rocky pointed out some flaws. If the story was a hoax, what was his motivation? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Amazing find, I remember the feeling when I found "Trilby Wash" and had it classified by ASU's Lora Bleacher..... I still have a couple pieces of it and the rest went to collectors and museums. Congrats of an amazing find!

• Like 1