Nugget Shooter Forums
Rocky

The Fallout!! Pt.2 Classified!!

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

4 hours ago, Rocky said:

I’m still searching wide and far. I believe in the general vicinity to be about another 1000grams+~ so my concentration is primarily that area and as stated in the metbul some of the smaller fragments have bits of fusion crust so I determine This was in fact a very sharp almost straight down trajectory which to me indicates this to be a single stone event maybe. I have blanketed a large area surrounding the fall with no success yet with additional stones but there is certainly the possibility  there are more but it does to me appear to seems rather isolated and the forest and scrub brush is dense surrounding the area which reduces the efficiency of the detector!

Given the size of your find, I find it hard to believe that it was only a single stone fall but anything is possible. I'd keep searching "far and wide" as you say. You never know what you might come across. Maybe next time it'll be pirate treasure...

Your meteorite could be the second serendipitous find in the past few months. I remember a guy who supposedly found a mesosiderite in Ohio. We haven't heard from him in a long while but hope you'll stay on the forum to give us periodic updates.

Again.. Congrats.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Given the size of your find, I find it hard to believe that it was only a single stone fall but anything is possible. I'd keep searching "far and wide" as you say. You never know what you might come across. Maybe next time it'll be pirate treasure...

Your meteorite could be the second serendipitous find in the past few months. I remember a guy who supposedly found a mesosiderite in Ohio. We haven't heard from him in a long while but hope you'll stay on the forum to give us periodic updates.

Again.. Congrats.

I don’t mean to knock the Ohio guy but I uncovered inconsistencies about his postings that I shared with a couple of people that challenge the authenticity of what he was posting. I hope it’s true but I have my doubts!!

4 hours ago, billpeters said:

That's an amazing find! Congratulations!

billpeters

Thank you very much Bill!! It’s funny because now the bar is set very high for future finds for myself but every fragment I find still releases that heart pumping adrenaline so I’m humble and content!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

WTG Rocky, ^5 ! From early posts of earthen kind to super find in record time..! Congrats..! :oregonian_winesmiley:

Swamp

Thank you swamp!! I love what you said !!! The evolution of this story to a strong turning point in celebrating with you guys!!!

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I don’t mean to knock the Ohio guy but I uncovered inconsistencies about his postings that I shared with a couple of people that challenge the authenticity of what he was posting. I hope it’s true but I have my doubts!!

I remember the controversy. That's why I used the word "supposedly" in my post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BMc said:

Well done Sir, Kudos and congratulations! You deserve justifiable praise and recognition, not only for the spectacular find(s), but for standing your ground and continuing to pursue the quest, having faith in yourself, and not withering under the :poostorm: and angrily departing the forum. 

Thank you very much BMC !! You witnessed first hand exactly what I experienced and the entire time I did my best to keep you all in the loop!! A picture is worth a thousand words and thats what I got a thousand word fruitless and I know also it may be worth a thousand but when it comes to meteorites it’s worthless without the proof so I produce results and I’m sure it partially had something to do with the resistance I encountered here which pushed me to go further outside the boundaries which I am greatful to this group for their peer reviews, it all helps!!!

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I remember the controversy. That's why I used the word "supposedly" in my post.

Oh I know what you mean, I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to derail the vibe I hope it was real as well and he was just being really private about it, mesos can take tons of time to classify so I hope it’s a reality!!

2 hours ago, gaustad18 said:

What an awesome find Rocky! Your hard work and diligence paid off. There must be several more pieces out there!

Also, let me know how much you'll be selling some of your pieces for! 

Thank you sir!! I will keep you in the loop and send you a pm when I’m ready. I hope to find more after the ground thaw!!

1 hour ago, Strapped said:

Congrats Rocky! Great find!

Thank you Strap happy hunting man!!!!

• Like 1

Something that's extra special cool about this whole thing is I remember a time early on where you posted up a route & drive time map from Mass to AZ.. You were all wound up about heading out there to hunt for meteorites when I, then clay, and I believe a couple other folks chimed in about it not being necessary to go to AZ to hunt cos it's possible to make a find just about anywhere.. And be gol durn if you didn't just go ahead and do so, making a cold find practically in your back yard..! This, to me, shows everything necessary about one's drive, desire, ability and belief in self.. Again, way to go Rocky ^5 !

Swamp

EDIT: PS -- A little bit-o-luck didn't hurt none neither.. :4chsmu1:

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Something that's extra special cool about this whole thing is I remember a time early on where you posted up a route & drive time map from Mass to AZ.. You were all wound up about heading out there to hunt for meteorites when I, then clay, and I believe a couple other folks chimed in about it not being necessary to go to AZ to hunt cos it's possible to make a find just about anywhere.. And be gol durn if you didn't just go ahead and do so, making a cold find practically in your back yard..! This, to me, shows everything necessary about one's drive, desire, ability and belief in self.. Again, way to go Rocky ^5 !

Swamp

EDIT: PS -- A little bit-o-luck didn't hurt none neither.. :4chsmu1:

I remember that LOL, I was starving to go there!!! In fact I was offered to stay some where but financially I couldn’t swing it at the time. Now I find this baby and I can finally make the trip!!! Certainly  luck but I also believe in the rules of attraction!

• Like 2

I love it. Good for you. People will bash you when you're out of their depth of experience, and they did. Just keep smiling and laughing. Wishing you more success.

• Like 2

Dude, thats awesome !!  Congratulation on your epic find !  :oregonian_winesmiley:

• Haha 1

This is great, I just read through part one for the first time and am thoroughly enjoying pt.2. Way to go Rocky! You stood your ground the whole time and came out WAY on top! Experts...LOL! Egos is more like it!

• Like 4

Rocky I was thinking H-4 H-5 when I saw the chondrules in the slice photo and the round carbon inclusion as well.
based on the overall shape of It looks like an oriented meteorite too.
Id bet it was a brite one when it came in.
Congrats on a very nice find,and I have to say you did a great job of recovering the frags too.
AzNuggetBob 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 4:44 AM, Rocky said:

Now I find this baby and I can finally make the trip!!! 

Are you setting up as a dealer in Tucson or just going to rub shoulders with the meteorite crowd and do some trading?

If you've never been there before, you are going to be AMAZED. Hope you have a great trip.

• Like 1

Well done, Rocky!  It was fun to be part of the journey, now get out there and find its big 100 lb. brother!  Ha ha.

Bring some fragments to trade in Tucson, you've got the market cornered and a really cool name to boot.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2019 at 8:13 PM, Rod said:

I love it. Good for you. People will bash you when you're out of their depth of experience, and they did. Just keep smiling and laughing. Wishing you more success.

Kindness I want a world surrounded in kindness. Not to sound all mushy but I try to always treat everyone with respect and kindness and if they want to bash I’ll play too😜

Edited by Rocky

On 1/27/2019 at 9:38 PM, adam said:

Dude, thats awesome !!  Congratulation on your epic find !  :oregonian_winesmiley:

Thank you very much Adam it is a epic one!!!! I’m celebrating with ya!!!🍻

Edited by Rocky

On 1/27/2019 at 10:03 PM, Alwaysdirty said:

This is great, I just read through part one for the first time and am thoroughly enjoying pt.2. Way to go Rocky! You stood your ground the whole time and came out WAY on top! Experts...LOL! Egos is more like it!

LOL, thanks for reading through it all!!! That’s the beauty persistence, I think unfortunately if I was someone who had no experience with meteorites under the advise of a lot of people I would have just dismissed the 1st stone all together! And that would have been very unfortunate!

On 1/28/2019 at 3:23 AM, AzNuggetBob said:

Rocky I was thinking H-4 H-5 when I saw the chondrules in the slice photo and the round carbon inclusion as well.
based on the overall shape of It looks like an oriented meteorite too.
Id bet it was a brite one when it came in.
Congrats on a very nice find,and I have to say you did a great job of recovering the frags too.
AzNuggetBob 

Thank you Bob, yes I often think about the fact it was probably very bright coming down and probably noisy as well. Good call pertaining to type!! I was all over the place guessing!! I’m going to be out there soon to try to recover more frags!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Morlock said:

Are you setting up as a dealer in Tucson or just going to rub shoulders with the meteorite crowd and do some trading?

If you've never been there before, you are going to be AMAZED. Hope you have a great trip.

Hi Morlock! Just going for fun, perhaps do some trading and hopefully not come home empty handed!!! I can’t wait!!! I can’t wait to see the dessert!! I can wait to hunt a bit as well and the trade show sounds like it is going to be amazing for sure !!!

15 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Well done, Rocky!  It was fun to be part of the journey, now get out there and find its big 100 lb. brother!  Ha ha.

Bring some fragments to trade in Tucson, you've got the market cornered and a really cool name to boot.

Mike, a special thanks to you my friend!! You are right it has been quite the journey and you are one of the few people out there period who I felt as though I could trust 100%!!! Thank you for listening to me rant and bs and for responding to my countless messages LOL it is a blast and I hope to one day hunt some meteorites with ya and drink some beers and celebrate!! You da man!! Yes I need to find the big brother!!!!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 10:29 PM, Rocky said:

...Barnstable...

A73C1EE0-5D56-436F-A4A1-92D7B60CEC70.jpeg

Yo Rocky -- I gotta couple questions for ya:

1) Wherefore / whyfor the name..? 

I mean, sure, I see a last name.. Is it your wife's maiden name..?
And I see barn + stable, which ermmm on the surface doesn't make much sense to me
unless there's an equestrian in the family or you spent a great deal of time mucking 'em out..?
What..?

2) What's under the tarp..? :idunno: 
I keep looking at the reveal outline but can't place it,
and are the wheel wells really cut as high as the one appears to be..? :89:
Inquiring minds n all that there... :4chsmu1: 

Swamp