Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DOC

Long Time Customer Scores Gold with Gold Monster NOT NUGGET!

So a customer called me today all excited, and with good reason.  I'll call him DJ.  DJ has been chasing those elusive nuggets for 15 years without success.  Now in his defense he has owned every crappy $200 detector ever made, and he does not live in gold country.  He lives way up in the NorthWest.  His brother JJ who is also my customer lives in Utah.  So twice a year, DJ flies to his brother's house and they travel down to Gold Basin for a week of fun.  A year ago, DJ finally had saved enough money to invest in a Gold Monster 1000 that he purchased from me,  and his brother's prompting.  I met he and his brother at Gold Basin for training.  I gave him all of the sage advice on what to look for, and the typical advice, keep your coil on the deck.  Take your time etc.

Today he calls, and he is over the moon.  "Doc, you'll never guess what I found while looking for meteorites in Gold Basin, with my brother.  I'll send you pictures."

DJ said he got a target sound, and dug down about three inches and unearthed a pull tab.  "But Doc I remember what you told me and I checked the shallow hole before I filled it in.  And there was another target so I kept digging."

At a depth of 8 inches DJ got the find of his life so far.  A 1852 gold dollar.  And it is a beauty.  Still no gold nugget, but I don't think any of us would be disappointed to find this ripper in our scoop.

Congratulations DJ.  I told him I wanted to enter him into some FIND OF THE MONTH contests, because that find is a winner.

Doc

IMG_0706001.jpgIMG_0733.jpg

569966980001.jpg

• Like 18
  • wow 1

very nice find indeed , congrats to DJ

• Thanks 1

Terrific find. Congrats.

• Thanks 1

Wow!!! Congratulations. 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

That's awesome, a gold coin is a much rarer find than a gold nugget!

• Thanks 1

Kewl find for sure..! :yesss:
Question: Is that a mint mark or dirt beneath the wreath..?
No mint mark in that condition is worth a couple hundred or more..
Any mint marked 1852 $1 gold in that shape is a couple thou or better..
Not that it should be sold; merely informing..

Swamp

EDIT: Worth revision -- I just noticed the rub marks.. :aw-shucks:

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Thanks 1

What a great story, thank you for posting DOC.  Congrats to that man, his perseverance paid off in a big way.

• Thanks 1

Hey Doc ... Does it look like this one from LSD? :inocent: A few years back not far from the windmill. It's an 1874 that I showed in a picture with a 1.42 grain nugget back in 11.03.2017. The gold dollar was found a couple years before that nugget.

1.42 grain Nugget 11-03-2017.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Kewl find for sure..! :yesss:
Question: Is that a mint mark or dirt beneath the wreath..?
No mint mark in that condition is worth a couple hundred or more..
Any mint marked 1852 $1 gold in that shape is a couple thou or better..
Not that it should be sold; merely informing..

Swamp

EDIT: Worth revision -- I just noticed the rub marks.. :aw-shucks:

It's a mint Mark "D", I assume that is the Denver mint.  Or was there a Denver mint back in 1852?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Hey Doc ... Does it look like this one from LSD? :inocent: A few years back not far from the windmill. It's an 1874 that I showed in a picture with a 1.42 grain nugget back in 11.03.2017. The gold dollar was found a couple years before that nugget.

1.42 grain Nugget 11-03-2017.jpg

That's a beauty,  No Mike it doesn't look like that one the top of the head is more rounded.

Doc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Morning guys!!!! Very great day to find that coin!!! The mint mark on it is D. Me and my brother JR can not wait to go back done Tks doc again and Minelab 

Dartagnan 

• Like 3
  • well done 1

2 hours ago, DOC said:

It's a mint Mark "D", I assume that is the Denver mint.  Or was there a Denver mint back in 1852?

Nope, it's Dahlonega, Doc..
They minted gold coins only..
Nice scarce piece, only 6,360 minted..
Matter of fact, the odds of finding a mint marked 1852 $1 gold out that way
are pretty high against, except maybe for a New Orleans.. Charlotte minted  just over 9K pieces,
New Orleans = 140, 000 even and Phila came in at just over two million gold $1s..
Dahlonega is the rarest of the four that year..

Swamp

EDIT: Denver opened in 1906..

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

that is just an outstanding find

• Like 1

Wow!!!  what a find.  That Dahlonega gold coin is the rarest of the 1852's minted.  The price range is anywhere between $800.00 to $8,000.00  depending on  condition.

Congratz.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D’artagnan Jackson said:

Morning guys!!!! Very great day to find that coin!!! The mint mark on it is D. Me and my brother JR can not wait to go back done Tks doc again and Minelab 

Dartagnan 

DJ, it's not every day that you find 1.7 grams of 90% gold that's worth at least $800 and up!!!

I would suggest getting graded, I think you will find that it will be worth more to do so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Nope, it's Dahlonega, Doc..
They minted gold coins only..
Nice scarce piece, only 6,360 minted..
Matter of fact, the odds of finding a mint marked 1852 $1 gold out that way
are pretty high against, except maybe for a New Orleans.. Charlotte minted  just over 9K pieces,
New Orleans = 140, 000 even and Phila came in at just over two million gold $1s..
Dahlonega is the rarest of the four that year..

Swamp

EDIT: Denver opened in 1906..

A rare jackpot indeed, perhaps the find of a lifetime! I imagine that quite a few gold coins found their way West across the Oregon trail (and the various other immigrant trails), and the smaller coins tended to get lost a lot, compared to the larger ones and seemingly didn't gain popularity as much because of that reason. I found this 2 1/2 dollar gold piece while nugget shooting East of South Pass Wy, in 1999, (previous post), but due to it being an "O" New Orleans mint, and the quantity minted, it was pretty common in circulation at the time.

gold coin-3 cent piece.JPG

3 cent-gold coin reverse.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dartagnon sent me a write up.  That baby is rare.  Only 125 are known to exist today, well, make that126.

DocIMG_0744.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, only 126 known to exist.

Looks to be in pretty nice shape too. 

What a find. Stunning.

Before this I had not known of a mint in  Dahlonega Ga.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DOC said:

Dartagnon sent me a write up.  That baby is rare.  Only 125 are known to exist today, well, make that126.

DocIMG_0744.jpg

Yes it's rare but hopefully DJ hasn't cleaned it in any way as to do so will greatly affect what it is worth!

"COLORATION: The range of colors seen on original, uncleaned pieces includes deep orange and coppery-gold to medium green shades. There are not many remaining 1852-D gold dollars that have not been cleaned or dipped and such coins are worth a strong premium over the typical “washed-out” example."

• Like 1

I would love to see some high quality photos of this coin!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BMc said:

A rare jackpot indeed, perhaps the find of a lifetime! I imagine that quite a few gold coins found their way West across the Oregon trail (and the various other immigrant trails), and the smaller coins tended to get lost a lot, compared to the larger ones and seemingly didn't gain popularity as much because of that reason. I found this 2 1/2 dollar gold piece while nugget shooting East of South Pass Wy, in 1999, (previous post), but due to it being an "O" New Orleans mint, and the quantity minted, it was pretty common in circulation at the time.

gold coin-3 cent piece.JPG

3 cent-gold coin reverse.JPG

Is that 1851 date rubbed out a bit or something..? Kinda hard to make out, looks a bit like an overdate..
Regardless, that's probably still $300 worth of find.. I wouldn't toss it back lol..

What is intriguing is that 1865.. First year for that coin.. Someone tryin' to turn a 3 cent piece into $3.. May have worked back then too..

Swamp

47 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Is that 1851 date rubbed out a bit or something..? Kinda hard to make out, looks a bit like an overdate..
Regardless, that's probably still $300 worth of find.. I wouldn't toss it back lol..

What is intriguing is that 1865.. First year for that coin.. Someone tryin' to turn a 3 cent piece into $3.. May have worked back then too..

Swamp

Yeah, Swamp, no matter what, it's a keeper despite the worn appearance, which is just due to wear I think. Here's another shot which shows the smoothed out area a little better. If the 3 cent piece had been gold plated . . . it might have worked, who knows. I'm sure there were a number of bar scams and low light slight of hand tricks being pulled. Just don't try it on the wrong customer . . . 

2.5 dollar gold.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D’artagnan Jackson said:

When I get home I will take better pictures for you guys 

No need for better pictures. Some guys around here just have to overanalyse the sh&% out of everything :D... Well done on the epic find !!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1