Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Relichunter2016

Follows Camp, East Fork

My first adventures in searching for gold was in Los Angeles in an area called Follows Camp. I would meet up some friends early morning at the restaurant and enjoy a good greasy breakfast before we hit the river canyon. Met many interesting characters mostly vets who called this area there home away from the hustle and bustle of the valley. Found my first nuggets with a detector at nugget gulch above the river but below Shoemaker road. Plenty of ounces came out of this spot over the years, I am sure still plenty left. AL and his wife ran a small gold prospecting shop on weekends, had some huge gold nuggets on display found up above the narrows. Wondering if anyone still goes up in the area ..as I heard the place has been shut down, and the restaurant closed since the last flood. Azusa Gold run by Jerry Hobbs was always an good stop on the way up the canyon. Places like Follows Camp are becoming more rare in today's world. It's sad to see them go ..a bit of living history in todays modern hustle and bustle world. 

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 3

EF is about 35 min from my house.  I started my prospecting hobby there with my son thinking it would be easy to score gold nuggets but only ever found trash.  I was in my infancy as far as knowing how to hunt for gold.  I then settled into running a sluice.  Didn’t find anything first few trips out.  I remember finding my first specs of gold💪🏼.  Didn’t even know what a snuffer bottle was, I just pick everything up with tweezers.  I got a .3 gram picker and almost lost my mind.  I found my first nugget up in the narrows right on bedrock.  1.5 grams.  I was going to make a Mr. T necklace out of it until reality set in.  Since getting a PI machine I have not gone to the EF hardly.  Maybe I should try nugget gultch??  I have crawled around below Shoemaker road but no gold.  That was with a VLF machine.  I believe the restaurant is open on weekends only.  You can still find guys prospecting up there daily, the National Park thing has not slowed many down.  Truly a great place.  The lower river still gets littered with trash from weekenders.  

Brownie

Brownie,

Some nice chunks come out of that area...nugget gulch is up Shoemaker Rd...just keep driving until you see a bunch of planted trees put in years ago to stabilize the ground. N.G. is right next to it...should still be a dirt shoulder off the the right you can park the vehicle and hike down to it. Some nice nuggets came out of this area all found with vlf detectors.. The narrows is a bit far , did see some nice clunkers come out of a few old coyote holes dug into that old placer channel above the present river.  Although this is extremely dangerous and best left alone do to cave ins and huge widow makers in the tunnel ceilings . I didn't know the restaurant opened up, last few pictures I saw of the joint it was abandoned torn up and graffiti which wouldn't surprise me because of all that " talent in the valley" below the canyon...boorb. Summers bring the hoards up to swim and they make one hell of a mess for everyone else to clean up.  

It's off limits  I believe  .

A National  Park status.

• Like 1

Videos are posted on YouTube daily about the east fork and I belong to their Facebook group so prospecting is alive and well on the East Fork.  Relic hunter I have never hunted below that area I thought nugget gultch was just above the restaurant and up river just aways.  I can’t want to spend a day with my 7000 below the road where you talking about👍🏻.  I have been inside those coyote holes you mentioned.  There is 4 I believe.  Someone called them the China mines.  I took material out of there and down about 200 ft to the river.  The material was awesome.  Blood orange dirt and gravel.  All heavies with super chunky black sands.  I only found a few flakes so for the work and danger not worth it.  You can still easily sluice a gram in the narrows if you know where to look.  There are still a few back there on extended stays digging to bedrock and diverting the river.  Very impressive!!

Brownie 

• Like 1

Brownie,

Yup prospecting on the E.F. is still going strong, that's a good thing..a guy named Kevin has done well up in those canyons but he has taken some risks in those tunnels. I've been in one and it gave me the willies..so after that I just stayed out of them. Nugger Gulch was named by my two friends Don and Howard who took out 10 ounces not far below the road..most of the nuggets were between 1 gram to 4 grams..as you hike down the gulch you will come to a water fall. I would stay above the falls and work your way up working the bedrock. Back in the early 90s I took my Keene 151 drywasher and just hid it under some bushes..a practice done by many as it was a challenge to lug around equipment every weekend. Always got gold dry washing and most of the time I found a nugget or two. I cant imagine what  you would find with the 7000 all my detecting at that place was with the gold master. Good luck and always think safety...

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, Relichunter2016 said:

Brownie,

Yup prospecting on the E.F. is still going strong, that's a good thing..a guy named Kevin has done well up in those canyons but he has taken some risks in those tunnels. I've been in one and it gave me the willies..so after that I just stayed out of them. Nugger Gulch was named by my two friends Don and Howard who took out 10 ounces not far below the road..most of the nuggets were between 1 gram to 4 grams..as you hike down the gulch you will come to a water fall. I would stay above the falls and work your way up working the bedrock. Back in the early 90s I took my Keene 151 drywasher and just hid it under some bushes..a practice done by many as it was a challenge to lug around equipment every weekend. Always got gold dry washing and most of the time I found a nugget or two. I cant imagine what  you would find with the 7000 all my detecting at that place was with the gold master. Good luck and always think safety...

Yep that’s Kevin Brown.  He took me under his wing a little bit when I got started.  He pulled a few pounds out of the narrows with a few other guys in 2009 I believe.  A few of the nuggets are in a museum in LA. I heard nugget gultch was dry washed back in the day and you confirmed it👍🏻.  With all the wildfire scares now a days I would have the fire dept on my as$ in short order.  We I need to give that area a try again.  You’ll see it posted here if I ever finds something.  

Relic hunter can you throw me a bone?  Which side is nugget gultch?  I see nugget alley below.  

Thanks!

C38EA834-7EBF-4DDC-A55E-88635F7D0D58.jpeg