Nugget Shooter Forums
Diggingd

Cracked open a geode need help identifying what's inside

Recently I cracked open a geode, it opened up to a great smokey quartz geode with what I thought to be clear quartz warts (for lack of better term) growing on top of them, but on the other half of the geode incased (for the most part) are these orangish brown Crystal's that look almost to be tigers eye (could be completely wrong), I have confirmed these are Crystal's and not dirt, because a few are hanging outside of the Crystal's and I was able to pull it off (to small to tell what it is tho) oh and I forgot to mention, i dont believe the "clear quartz" is quartz because under black light it glows light pink. Any information is helpful! More curious than anything!

20190121_190951.jpg

20190121_190620.jpg

20190121_190603.jpg

20190121_190527.jpg

• Like 1

Likely Calcite.   Neat little geode !

• Like 1

Thank you! Do you think that the brownish crystal could also been calcite? 

definitely not tigers eye, it looks like quartz with some calcite.

• Like 1

Okay cool, thank you both very much. I'm thinking about having a small piece of it tested by a friend, hes very interested in it he thinks it could be tigers iron because there is a few hematite Crystal's that are growing through small gaps in the smokey quartz. Very unlikely, but I will post the results if we do decide to do it. 

You can check for calcite by putting a couple drops of vinegar on the suspected area, most likely the large clear crystals. After a few minutes, you should see slight fizzing. Let us know...

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Diggingd said:

Okay cool, thank you both very much. I'm thinking about having a small piece of it tested by a friend, hes very interested in it he thinks it could be tigers iron because there is a few hematite Crystal's that are growing through small gaps in the smokey quartz. Very unlikely, but I will post the results if we do decide to do it. 

One thing that absolutely 100% is not inside your geode is tiger iron. Tiger iron is made up of layers of tigers eye (quartz after crocidolite), hametite, and red Jasper. There does not appear to have been any crocidolite, now or previously, inside your geode, nor is there any red jasper. 

• Like 1