Nugget Shooter Forums
Trailertrash

Gold in black rock?

Forgive my geologically challenged terminology. I googled this the best I could, but didn't find a name for the black rock (mineral?). 

Another pit, dug into a hillside, through all kinds of quartz, red stuff, black stuff, yellow stuff, etc.

Of course, I had to swing the detector around the pit, just to see what might be there. I found two of these, about the size of a marble. The Equinox said non-ferrous, so I stuck them in my pouch, like a squirrel.

Got home, forgot about them for a day, and then decided to have a look through the loupe. They are too heavy for their size, not attracted to a neodymium magnet, and it sure looks like gold in there to me.

Then again, I wouldn't be the first "fool", would I?

The pics were Wifey's best effort through the loupe with her phone. The process of getting the pics might have made a better photo. It looked like an adult version of the Twister game. Four hands, a loupe, a flashlight, a phone, and some colorful language.

It doesn't show well in the photos, but there is a brown shiny crust in places, that looks like something I saw in one of Jeff Williams videos. I took a shot off my TV with him pointing at it. I hope that's an additional clue.

Again, sorry for the ignorant terminology. I promise I tried Google first!

Regards, Kyle

IMG95201901219516124616895HDR~2.jpg

IMG95201901219516124616895HDR.jpg

IMG_20190121_183619227-1280x960.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice, what state are you in Kyle?

5 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Hey Skip, it doubled up my post again and dont know why. You can delete one if you want. Thanks.

Hey Dan -- What usually causes the double posts is when hitting enter the finger does this
involuntary little stutter-step thing hitting enter twice, especially when using a mouse,
sometimes so fast as to not be noticed until the result is seen on the screen..

Swamp

• Haha 1

Hey Swamp,

I post here on my phone so im not using a mouse. For some reason it just started it last week. I know my service has been kinda messed up and is taking a bit to send so maybe that has something to do with it. Heck i guess it could be fast fingers over the excitement of posting a new message lol.

• Haha 1

Looks like Limonite perhaps.....

• Like 3

Thanks, Bill. I'll read up on Limonite.

What would you do to figure out if this is gold or not? Would soaking in white vinegar do the trick? It's such a tiny area, it would be tough to try my first streak test on.

Regards,

Kyle

Vinegar wouldn't do much. Easiest way to find out if it's gold is simply to pulverize it and pan. Do you have access to a mortar and pestle?

• Like 1

Hello Kyle,

When you mentioned the Johnnie area, it brought back a lot of memories from the late 90's.  I spent a couple of weeks in the area and found a number of

nuggets in a wash below a fairly shallow drift on the backside of the hill as you turn left off the highway going north.  There was evidence of dry washing in

the past in the wash.  There were some claims in the area that I made sure to stay away from.

The wild burros kept me company wherever I went in there.

Good luck in your search!

Bugler

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Morlock said:

Vinegar wouldn't do much. Easiest way to find out if it's gold is simply to pulverize it and pan. Do you have access to a mortar and pestle?

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I don't have a mortar and pestle, but I carry a small stick welder with me in the RV, so I can fab something up with that, at least to crush little stuff.

Regards, Kyle

2 hours ago, Bugler said:

Hello Kyle,

When you mentioned the Johnnie area, it brought back a lot of memories from the late 90's.  I spent a couple of weeks in the area and found a number of

nuggets in a wash below a fairly shallow drift on the backside of the hill as you turn left off the highway going north.  There was evidence of dry washing in

the past in the wash.  There were some claims in the area that I made sure to stay away from.

The wild burros kept me company wherever I went in there.

Good luck in your search!

Bugler

The burros out here are cool. What a life, standing around all day, staring seemingly at nothing. It amazes me that they can strip the spines off a cactus, to get at the meat. If I bump one, it sucks me in like a prickly magnet.

I've been eyeballing the area you mentioned, but it's mostly claimed now. Couple areas that might be OK, but haven't really looked at road access yet. My current "prospecting rig" is about as bad as you can get. Quad cab longbed dually isn't a great off-road rig, and it tows our home, so I have to baby it. There is a Jeep, or something similar in my future. I wish I still had one of Samurais we tore up in the late 90's, when you could pick one up for under a grand!

Regards, Kyle

Back to the question...get a hard, sharp point and probe the mineral in question...if it breaks or cracks it is not gold...if it is malleable then it may be...

fred 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice photos Kyle. I spent some time poking around out there a few years ago. I never found any gold but you can tell you are close by the rocks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Back to the question...get a hard, sharp point and probe the mineral in question...if it breaks or cracks it is not gold...if it is malleable then it may be...

fred 

That worked, Fred. I just poked a dental pick in there, stirred it around, and it crumbled. Doesn't look anything like gold, after that test.

Learn a little every day!

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Nice photos Kyle. I spent some time poking around out there a few years ago. I never found any gold but you can tell you are close by the rocks.

That's my hope! I've got a lot more motivation than knowledge, at this point, but I gotta start somewhere. This area isn't known to be a big nugget producer, but it's only a ten minute drive every day.

Regards, Kyle

To me those black minerals all look the same.  Either black sands, manganese oxides, or black silver ores, can't really tell the difference.  All those have a specific density of around 5, so would be at the bottom after panning.  With a density of 5, they would feel heavy, about twice as dense as quartz.  Odds are its some sort of iron ore.  I wouldn't even know how to do an economical test to look for something else.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chrisski said:

To me those black minerals all look the same.  Either black sands, manganese oxides, or black silver ores, can't really tell the difference.  All those have a specific density of around 5, so would be at the bottom after panning.  With a density of 5, they would feel heavy, about twice as dense as quartz.  Odds are its some sort of iron ore.  I wouldn't even know how to do an economical test to look for something else.

I know the feeling, Chris. Swinging a detector is the easy part. Learning why, and where to swing it? Therein lies the challenge. I'm usually really good at finding answers online. "Black rock with brown stuff on it" doesn't get it done. 

I think some good old fashioned books are in my immediate future. I need to be able to stand in the field, and compare directly. Maybe I can figure things out that way.

Regards, Kyle

Kyle, is there a prospecting club with claims out there? Might be worth joining. 

• Like 1

I've seen what looks like gold on the surface of limonite. When you scratch it you get powder. Never figured that out.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 8:21 AM, Dakota Slim said:

Kyle, is there a prospecting club with claims out there? Might be worth joining. 

Yeah, there is Nye county gold seekers, and southern Nevada gold searchers. I think SNGS has claims in northern Az, as well.

Regards, Kyle

On 1/23/2019 at 8:53 AM, GeoJack said:

I've seen what looks like gold on the surface of limonite. When you scratch it you get powder. Never figured that out.

Yeah, It looked convincing, until I scratched at it. 

Kyle

well, just perhaps it is gold in a fine, powder form...scape it into a pan and pan it out...if it is gold, and you know how to pan,  it will stay in the pan...

fred

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

well, just perhaps it is gold in a fine, powder form...scape it into a pan and pan it out...if it is gold, and you know how to pan,  it will stay in the pan...

fred

Thanks for the tip, Fred. Embarrassing though it may be, I believe it was just crusted dirt, after all that hyps. Sure looked convincing, looking through a loupe. Once I dug it out, the jig was up. Found one tiny piece of gold in the desert, and now I see it everywhere, real or not... My Wife has taken to calling this activity "Mental detecting". I can't disagree.

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It looks like high grade iron ore to me. Otherwise know as bogg iron. I have found pieces like that in montana. Check it with a rare earth magnet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Goldseeker4000 said:

It looks like high grade iron ore to me. Otherwise know as bogg iron. I have found pieces like that in montana. Check it with a rare earth magnet.

Not sure what it was. I tried a super strong magnet, no attraction. It broke easily, when squeezed with pliers. No gold inside though. 

Regards, Kyle