Nugget Shooter Forums
CoolGems12

Mind Boggling Specimen

Hello Forum! Thank you for letting us share our story!

Have you ever seen a highly oriented meteorite with top flow-over lip that you can stick a micrometer in over 3/8", so large it almost touches the bottom flow lip? Thumb prints, and shield shape. Extensive research online and hundreds of magnified and normal photos of it revile shocking images that are truly amazing, inside and out. We were informed it could be in the 1% or less of finds. Our photos show a series of unbelievable, non-explainable features that boggle the mind. This appears to be the kind of specimen you can only read about because only a handful of people in the world would recognize it. This is a specimen of unknown origin, not a recent find or fall. Some images possibly show fossil diatoms, bio-organisms, and other things that there are just too many to list. We are looking for that 1 collector- because if a collector spends big bucks on something, he or she knows what they are looking at. His or her opinions could be the most helpful in identifying this object.

Here are just a few photos of just the exterior just showing the shape and flow-over lip.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

b.jpg

• Hmmmmmm 1

Are you 100% sure it's a meteorite? I've never seen a meteorite with a bluish tint like yours and nor have I heard of any meteorites with fossil diatoms or bio-organisms. Also...It simply doesn't look like any meteorite I've seen before.

• Like 2

I agree with Morlock, and wonder if your sure and why this is a meteorite that only a handful of people can recognize. Where did this big blue lipped beauty come from by the way?:4chsmu1:

1 hour ago, hardtimehermit said:

I agree with Morlock, and wonder if your sure and why this is a meteorite that only a handful of people can recognize. Where did this big blue lipped beauty come from by the way?:4chsmu1:

Probably from that guy Jimale's collection...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We actually aren't sure if it is a meteorite or not, we had it tested at a few different places, neither one gave the same result twice. The object was originally found in Alaska.

We say only a handful of people could recognize it because that it was we were told by several different professors in the meteorology/geology studies. All we want to do, is figure out exactly what it is. Even through extensive research and paying to have it tested a handful of times, we have not come up with a solid definitive result as of yet. That is all =) 

Have you done the usual tests? You know, streak, hardness, specific gravity, XRF? It seems that if you want to identify the rock you would start in the usual places with he usual analysis. Just sayin'.

It is obviously metallic. What type of metals? That seems to be the most obvious burning question. Any answers?

You say you "are looking for that one collector" but it seems like you should be looking for some basic answers that all of us ask with every rock we find. Once those basic questions are answered then the rock will be a lot easier to identify...And market.

• Like 3

It looks like a sulphide of some type.

We have done all the at home tests, unable to get exact specific gravity, hardness, it will scratch glass, attracted to a magnet, dense for it's size. It does leave a light gray streak if you really grind it to the tile. In some areas, it sparkles like brilliant diamonds in sunlight. Flects are too small to see with our 200x zoom digital microscope. A retired professor hand held the object and said "not man made. Definitive oriented shape with a large flow over lip, cannot be man made." This object has been guessed as everything from A to Z and back. Some test results show the elements Fe/Ni/Cr/Mg/V/AL/Mn/F/C/Si. Sample was cut off of the side right after thumbprint, mostly melt. Conductivity is good with low resistance, poorly malleable, tenacity: low. We were informed that the materials were not whats important, it's the oriented face and shape of the object, verified online. We were advised IF we can prove it to be a meteorite, it would be an extremely rare one. As far as the possible fossil diatoms and bio organisms, please research Dr. Richard hover's work, then check the NASA gov. websites. This object surpases all those common meteorite identification websites. U of M said "it needs a cosmic ray exposure test" 

Yes we have done extensive research on it, but unable to travel and we won't send the whole stone in the mail.  

It isn't uncommon to not have seen or have heard of anything like this before, as we did send some test results to and spoke with a professor at a state university and he said I was misinformed about meteorites at the time. I told him where and what to research. He called 2 days later and apologized for not knowing the facts. He has been a teacher for over 40+ years and after he did his own research, he agreed that we MIGHT have that one rare meteorite. 

IMG_20170107_0009.jpg

61.bmp

201.bmp

r16.bmp

Edited by CoolGems12

On 1/21/2019 at 2:22 PM, CoolGems12 said:

we MIGHT have that one rare meteorite. 

I thought all meteorites were rare ? 

So your rock has Iron, Nickel, Chromium, magnesium,Vanadium, Aluminum, manganese, fluorine, carbon, and Silicon .   

:rolleyes:Yes , I had to look it all up.

Edited by adam
  • Like 1

Yes, these are all the ingredients in the rock based off of two different official test results. 

Thank you for your time and effort. Any help identifying the rock is greatly appreciated. =)

So these experts that have studied your rock, did any of them attempt to classify the "meteorite"?

I'm not sure you should rely on Richard Hoover's work. Even NASA has disavowed his conclusions and no other peer reviewed study has replicated his findings.

I'm curious what combination of the elemental metals Iron, Nickel, Chromium, Magnesium, Vanadium,  Aluminum, Manganese, the elements Fluorine and Carbon and the metalloid element Silicon could produce that blue color.

Has there been any attempt to define what minerals are present?

It's no meteorite.

• well done 1

1 hour ago, CoolGems12 said:

Here are a couple of the test results that we received with a list of the ingredients in the object,

does this information help?

IMG_20190221_0001.pdf 766.59 kB · 1 download

Here is what makes me suspicious... besides the fact that the object is clearly not meteoritic and seems to have zero meteoritic features;

No name of the outfit doing the analysis. No method of analysis. A bunch of the elements are misspelled. The one element that could indicate this is actually a meteorite is not on the list. 

The object is clearly not a meteorite and the analysis is clearly not a professional one. It is a handwritten note with no signature, no methodology and no credentials. Testing labs just don't put out products like this. 

The object, the methodology and the results of the "analysis" are all quite sketchy. So is the presentation in this forum. I don't see any evidence at all that the object is meteoritic. I do see a monumental effort to make someone believe it is. 

Just my two sheckles worth. It does not look like a met and no info provided so far indicates that it is. The info and statements made are a bit flaky. I would bet a real meteorite that this object is not one. Just sayin'.

Why not get a real analysis done by a recognized authority and post the results?  At least post an analysis from an accredited lab.

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Many of us were born at night. But not last night.

Chromium, Chromite, .... look up on google images.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your opinions, most of which we expected. We only ask for help to ID this object because several metallurgists say it's not man-made, and we haven't been able to find anyone who will give us the time of day to examine this object thoroughly. We contacted Montana state University by phone, no photos or information given except for the shape and size. He heard a train whistle in the back round, gave me a 10 min speech and dismissed it as a slag from the railroad. I was 40 miles from home at a gas station. For those who have never heard of fossils or bios in a meteorite, please check NASA.gov websites. Those who say it's not a meteorite, can anyone prove it with documentation? Any percent numbers, or anything? The test results we posted are from so-called professionals, we paid for the definitive testing. California sent back two different X-R-F results, neither of which had his letterhead or name on it anywhere. Another test result was dated 10 years before we sent it to be tested with the wrong month, year, and sample size. All information received so far is checked and rechecked online. The object in question was dismissed because of where we live. We are not professional's in meteorites, nor do we claim to be, but the institutes that took our money don't seem to be either. They gave us incomplete results, guesses, and no explanation of the results. We paid for 5 definitive tests but we can't get definitive results either way. If you can provide any information, please post your analysis. Element Cr has been researched in detail, any proof of information required please. Those who can clearly see it's not a meteorite all seem to be positive it's not, just by looking at a few photo's and some info. Not even NASA can do that. You might clearly think to have the respect to ask an intelligent question like- where did it come from? Why is it so shiny? Do you have anymore info, any more photo's, etc. This is a monumental effort to identify this object. Our methodology and presentation may not be to your standards, we apologize if we offended anyone.  Please- please hit us we your best shot. Over 7k people have viewed this object online and not a single person can point out anything that definitively says it's not. 

"chromium is an indicator of physical and chemical conditions of meteorites" according to the Science Direct and others. Also, "Cr is the decay of Mn, an extinct radionuclide which has been shown to be present in the early solar system" age and rate of decay=cr

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 7:04 PM, CoolGems12 said:

Hello Forum! Thank you for letting us share our story!

Have you ever seen a highly oriented meteorite with top flow-over lip that you can stick a micrometer in over 3/8", so large it almost touches the bottom flow lip? Thumb prints, and shield shape. Extensive research online and hundreds of magnified and normal photos of it revile shocking images that are truly amazing, inside and out. We were informed it could be in the 1% or less of finds. Our photos show a series of unbelievable, non-explainable features that boggle the mind. This appears to be the kind of specimen you can only read about because only a handful of people in the world would recognize it. This is a specimen of unknown origin, not a recent find or fall. Some images possibly show fossil diatoms, bio-organisms, and other things that there are just too many to list. We are looking for that 1 collector- because if a collector spends big bucks on something, he or she knows what they are looking at. His or her opinions could be the most helpful in identifying this object.

Here are just a few photos of just the exterior just showing the shape and flow-over lip.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

b.jpg

Geesh this is starting to look and sound like a Youtube video. :inocent:Bill where is that horse crap emoji . It looks to me like a chunk of silver/Galena. but I will say this based the small size of the crystallization and the blue/black tint the silver content is High.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 2

The only supposed meteorites with fossils were from Mars that I ever heard of, bacterial fossil, but that debate as to any real validity still rages after 20-years: https://www.space.com/33690-allen-hills-mars-meteorite-alien-life-20-years.html

However, I'm no expert on meteorites, but I do have one, nothing like yours though as mine has a clear fusion crust, location=Gold Basin, Arizona. Where's yours from? How was it found? With a metal detector like mine? Or, was it located after witnessing it fall? I had no idea it was that hard to ID a meteorite.

If you feel it truly is valuable and/or unique, pay to have it securely shipped for testing, or check this source out for a self-tester: https://www.bruker.com/products/x-ray-diffraction-and-elemental-analysis/handheld-xrf/meteorite-analyzer.html  And, what about a mass spectrometer test? https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1751-908X.2003.tb00723.x  And another mass spec. test site  https://meteorites.asu.edu/research/facilities/neptune  Here's an interesting article that might answer some questions: https://www.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/TD/td2702/chabot.pdf

However, I believe if you truly want to know, you'll need to ship it off and pay to find out (have you tried either of the universities listed in the links?).

All the best,

Lanny

I have a peice of solid iron ore that looks just like that. It looks like a compressed chunk of pyrite and is super heavy. Very similar to what i see in the pics.

• Like 1

My suggestion is to look for a fellow who can classify it as a meteorite instead of 7K viewers who cant say it is not. To send it to a meteorite guy instead of a metallurgist. To look for the answers to your questions rather than "looking for that 1 collector- because if a collector spends big bucks on something, he or she knows what they are looking at. His or her opinions could be the most helpful in identifying this object. "

It is not a meteorite until a meteorite expert says it is. Plain and simple. Until you take it to a meteorite expert and they render an opinion you are just pissing in the wind.

It is not a meteorite. It looks nothing like one. No adjectives in the world are going to change that.  

have tired in past eleven years to find an university on this planet earth to accept me fall rocks. all me got back was a blast of BS.

this morning received email from identification team. angela marmont centre. natural history museum. cromwell road, london. SW75BD. that they have recieved four samples and my writings.

they were excited jest looking at the pictures me sent to them two weeks ago. email them your pictures.

Congratulations. I hope the indentification team will finally put this issue to rest 

• well done 1