Nugget Shooter Forums
Micro Nugget

Hard Lesson Learned For A Little Nugget

I opted to take a "Nugget Day" after the post-Christmas chores were finally done and a pleasant weather window was forecast in between SoCal's series of incoming storm systems.  So I charged my Walmart made in China battery booster the night before, went through my mental checklist of survival things to take (just in case) and then merrily rejoiced as I departed early to a place at some elevation that I hadn't visited for a long time.  Somehow in my reverie I managed not to actually put the Walmart booster into my truck (stupid, stupid old man brain f___).  As the sun was preparing for it's evening rest I finally nailed the attached .91g "cornflake nugget."  I hustled down the mountain to insure that I would get back to my truck before total darkness fell.  As I approached the tailgate my heart sank.  There in the crepuscular dimness I spied a slight glow emanating from the F150's tailgate light.  HOLY MOLY!!  I must have forgotten to switch my headlights off!!  Sure enough, battery totally unresponsive and I am quite a distance into the woods.  Not a single Cro Magnon anywhere in evidence.  Immediately I climbed to a high point and tried to text a message -- undeliverable said the iPhone.  With temps dropping rapidly and my water bottles already freezing I quickly set about preparing for a miserable night alone in bear country.  Try sleeping from 1800 to 0600 especially after not having with me the evening prostate med I usually take (in other words dragging myself out of the sleeping bag every hour or so, i.e., around 10 times that night  into very cold, bone chilling weather).  I began hiking out at 0700 after repacking and securing my truck and leaving a note in case I could not get back to it (or worse) until after the coming storm event.  Finally got to a place 4 miles down were my cell got a text off.  An hour and a couple of miles later my honey came driving up the crude mountain road in her Chrysler T & C, then vented a hissy fit about getting stuck on the way up.  Triple A refused to send a truck into 4WD territory, but a local acquaintance took pity and we took with us 2 brand new compact lithium ion battery chargers claimed to be capable of starting a vehicle, plus the Walmart standard battery booster that I had left on my garage work bench fully charged.  The lithium ion wonders of latest technology only made my F150 perform a clicking noise.  Next, the Walmart.  More clicking noise following some turnovers.  The turnovers weren't supplying sufficient juice to ignite the engine in the thin, high altitude air.  Next, the jumper cables.  The F150 roared back to its former lion-self and the sun once more settled into the west.

Lessons learned.  No more cheap Walmart booster batteries or tiny compact but boastful lithium ion designs.  I'm getting the heavy duty Interstate brand booster battery that AAA uses to restart dead batteries.  They cost three times more, but I would gladly have paid the extra bucks not to have had to suffer through that bone chilling night.  Also on my purchase list: the SPOT X that enables text messages to be sent and received via satellite from anywhere on planet Earth.  Finally, a WRITTEN CHECK OFF LIST to insure my stupid brain ACTUALLY confirms the entire list is loaded aboard before my next trip out, not just assumes that everything is packed.  I hope this is a wakeup call for others on this forum.  It is for me.

IMG_2176.jpg

• Like 14
  • well done 2
  • wow 3

Ouch...that blows. I've had poor luck with jump start packs too. Glad you made it through the night. 

Nice gold nugget for a consolation prize. 

Never had a jump start pack that worked correctly.  Even new and fully charged they will not start my diesel engine.

Bob

What an unfortunate situation to be in.  Glad you got out ok . 

Glad you made it back safely.

Luke

Glad you made it out that really sucks. Nice gold though!

Martin, glad to hear you got out without "bears nibbling on fresh prospector." HH Jim

• Haha 1

Hey Martin ... Had that happen a long time ago hunting in North Western Maine ... The North Maine Woods ... Spent the night as you did but in the morning a logger happened by on his way to the choppin he was working. Nice guy ... not only did he jump my truck but shared his thermos of STRONG hot coffee! Those French Canadiens sure know how to make good coffee. So we had some laughs during coffee 'break' and then went our separate ways. Two or three years later I ran across him again and asked if he remembered me ... ay-epp! he says! We talked for a few minutes and then I went to the back of my truck and pulled out a new bottle of Jim Beam and gave it to him! He was thrilled! I told him he couldn't open it until the work day was done. He agreed! Never ran into him again but sure was grateful for that first encounter.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That sucks about the battery. If you all want a jump pack thats absolutely amazing here it is. We use these at the mine and can get 25 to 30 jumps out of it between charges. Even diesels light right off with it and the other night we were 37 below with the wind. It will do probably 4 or 5 good jumps on a 24 volt system. I bought one and keep in my truck. Kind of spendy but well worth it when in the middle of nowhere with the kids and family. 

Beautiful nugget too, congratulations. 

20190112_145003.jpg

• Like 3

I carry a CAT jumper box, I bought at Costco, $65.00 it has a usb port, air compressor and a 110 inverter, and I've jumped my uncles Ford diesel off a few times with it, I always keep it with me. well worth the money. Grubstake

• Like 1

Nice gold anyway....and a trip you will remember for a long time :)

I think I have just about enough stuff stored in the YOTO to rebuild it.  Even carry an extra battery.

It might help to store all your things in a "break down" box. That way its all there ready to go.

Glad it all worked out, and you got a nice nugget! :thumbsupanim

Tom H. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Hey Martin ... Had that happen a long time ago hunting in North Western Maine ... The North Maine Woods ... Spent the night as you did but in the morning a logger happened by on his way to the choppin he was working. Nice guy ... not only did he jump my truck but shared his thermos of STRONG hot coffee! Those French Canadiens sure know how to make good coffee. So we had some laughs during coffee 'break' and then went our separate ways. Two or three years later I ran across him again and asked if he remembered me ... ay-epp! he says! We talked for a few minutes and then I went to the back of my truck and pulled out a new bottle of Jim Beam and gave it to him! He was thrilled! I told him he couldn't open it until the work day was done. He agreed! Never ran into him again but sure was grateful for that first encounter.

Good one Mike. Hes probably still out there wandering around naked with an empty bottle of booze. :oregonian_winesmiley:

Tom H. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Micro Nugget said:

lso on my purchase list: the SPOT X that enables text messages to be sent and received via satellite from anywhere on planet Earth.  

IMG_2176.jpg

Do you have better options? Some of the reviews on the Spot X are pretty bad.

Martin, tough lesson agreed !!!  I was feelin cold air blowin as I was reading.
Don't blame yourself too much, or should I say be Thankful you were able to "look back" at the situation !
:old::old::head::goodpost:
Nice cornflake to bring home with the memory.
Hapy Huntn.

• Like 4

Wow that was kinda scary there , lucky you keep a sleeping bag and blankets loaded up all the time or it would not have been as a good turn out .

Great nugget, my misadventures never pay off but I do  need a spare jumper too.

I got a late start up a very technical trail a year ago last Nov., to resupply a hunting camp. That morning I watched a lion  stalk a buck a couple hundred  yards away. Great reminder of the serious nature around me.

Was supposed to be a quick in and out, 18 mile round trip on horseback then do it again in a week.

But one of my pack horse's threw a tantrum and her load all over the side of a steep mountain only a few miles in. By the time I gathered all the supplies it was getting dark and cold. 

No sleeping bag for me, no gallons of water for the animals, no feed, those amenities were waiting at our destination. Long story short, a quick days trip turned into three days two nights in very uncomfortable surroundings.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 6

Awesome nugget, congrats sir.  Due to the circumstances I bet it'll hold a "special" place in your heart for a long time!

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, Morlock said:

Do you have better options? Some of the reviews on the Spot X are pretty bad.

This is exactly why I have held off on purchasing a Spot X.  My hope is that they fix the problems, because this is definitely a need for most of us who work well out of cell phone reception.

Nice gold, Martin!!  Glad you made it out safe.  

• Like 3

...And so many of us go out into the vast wilderness by ourselves!:old: I know I do anyway! I have to assume many of you on this board do the same.:inocent:

1 hour ago, Mike Furness said:

...And so many of us go out into the vast wilderness by ourselves!:old: I know I do anyway! I have to assume many of you on this board do the same.:inocent:

My battery only went dead one time in the eight years I was out west.  (at you know where Dan) Fortunately it was in the summer and not too far from a general store that sold gas. Didn't even have to walk that far as one of the local ranchers picked me up and dropped me off.

There's only a few areas I've been to that would have been a real problem such as Martin's. I guess I was pretty lucky to never find myself in the same predicament as him.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 3

Back in the 70's around 1975, My uncle and I were come to Calif. from Texas, he was tired driving, so he pulled over and as we were switching out, he hit the gas peddle, and the engine raced, well it burned up the points, we filed them and cleaned them, no luck, this was a sunday. We hiched a ride into town, it was 21 miles from Deming Nm. Nothing open but a junk yard. Well we got a used set of pionts,and it was getting dark, We could not get one person to give us a ride, and we were both just wearing T-shirts, no jackets. temps got down around freezing, Well we walk that 21 miles in 41/2 hours. just to keep warm. Lesson learned! Good thing we that we both had got out of the Military not too long before that and we were both in great shape.Still kicked our ass though! Grubstake

• Like 3
  • wow 1

Glad you made it out of that dangerous situation Martin.
Years ago I was deer hunting and tent camping deep in the northern MN woods. My beat up but trusty old Volkswagon didn't want to start when it came time to leave. It was cold and snowing and could have been a real disaster. I started my hibachi and shoved it under the motor. After 20 minutes or so I turned the ignition key and the engine fired right up.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, nugget108 said:

...Kind of spendy but well worth it when in the middle of nowhere with the kids and family...

Well that pretty much says it all right there.. What good is "saving" about $325.00 for the $49.95 special of the week if when you seriously need a serious jump you get about one second of cranking amps out of a brand new freshly charged jumper pak and then the durn thing is deader 'n a used doornail, never able to take a full charge ever again..? I've been through two of the cheapo's, different mfg's., and they both failed in spectacular fashion..

Swamp

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, grubstake said:

Back in the 70's around 1975, My uncle and I were come to Calif. from Texas, he was tired driving, so he pulled over and as we were switching out, he hit the gas peddle, and the engine raced, well it burned up the points, we filed them and cleaned them, no luck, this was a sunday. We hiched a ride into town, it was 21 miles from Deming Nm. Nothing open but a junk yard. Well we got a used set of pionts,and it was getting dark, We could not get one person to give us a ride, and we were both just wearing T-shirts, no jackets. temps got down around freezing, Well we walk that 21 miles in 41/2 hours. just to keep warm. Lesson learned! Good thing we that we both had got out of the Military not too long before that and we were both in great shape.Still kicked our ass though! Grubstake

Should of called Homefire . . . :)

• Like 1

You can't beat that CAT jumper box, I've had it for two years, and I charge it up once a month, carry it right behind my seat, I've had to ju,p people off in walmart parking lot before, and only had to use for my truck twice, but its payed for its shelf. Grubstake

• Like 3