Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Monster / DetectorPro Headphone News

I just got off the phone with Ronnie at DetectorPro and asked him what was the status with gold monster headphones. He said he has an issue with his business partner and that it won't be resolved for quite a while. So the production of the headphones is on hold. We could be waiting a long time. He will let me know when he is ready to proceed and I told him when he is ready I will add it to my papper back book on gold detecting coming out spring/early summer.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:55 AM, Goldseeker4000 said:

my papper back book on gold detecting coming out spring/early summer.

To heck with the headphones , I cant wait for the book so I can learn how to detect !  

• Haha 4
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Hello All,

I just sent the proto-types back to Ronnie.  Bill and I both tested them out, they worked great.  That being said, I also talked with Ronnie and I wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon.  

GS.jpg

Edited by Rob Allison

Hey Bill,

You will have to contact Ronnie about it.  My thought is, they are great headphones for sure.  However, are people willing to spend over $100 dollars on good headphones that are just specific to the Gold Monster only???  This is a very small detecting market, but if you could make them to work on multiple detectors that is different.  For example, my DetectorPro Black Widow's, I can use them on my GPX, My SDC with the adapter cord or my GPZ.  I can also use them on all the VLF's I own, as the only VLF that I own that has the 1/8" jack is the Gold Monster 1000.  

I think a smarter move might be an adapter cable or something, where the invest is much smaller and you don't have to rely on selling 500+ headphones to recovery your investment to have a new headphone built.  The Gold Monster 1000 is a great unit, thousands have been sold, but there is a very small percentage of those guys that are going to buy $100+ headphones for a $799.00 investment and can only be used on it.  

I would be one of the guys that purchase a pair though. 

Just my thoughts. 

Edited by Rob Allison
  • Like 1

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade or anything but, now that I've found an 1/8" adapter that actually works great with the $150 headphones (1/4" jack) that I already have, I can't see much profitability in designing & producing Monster-specific, high-end headphones. Sure, there are lots of adapters out there already but I never found a single one that actually worked with the Monster until one of our forum members handmade one for me. It works perfectly! If something like that could be put into production and marketed exclusively to Monster owners who are using high-end, 1/2" jack headphones and with minimal expense/ tooling/ etc., it should easily pay for the expense AND still bring in a tidy profit.

:m2c:

Lisa

• Like 4

Sennhauser 280's  work just fine with my Gold Monster and eTrac and I also use them for my drum practicing.  In other words they are being used a LOT and the same pair is still working fine after 7-8 yrs now?  They come with both 1/8" & 1/4" jack, long cord, noise cancelling, audiophile headphones.....$100

• Like 1
4 hours ago, oneguy said:

Sennhauser 280's  work just fine with my Gold Monster and eTrac and I also use them for my drum practicing.  In other words they are being used a LOT and the same pair is still working fine after 7-8 yrs now?  They come with both 1/8" & 1/4" jack, long cord, noise cancelling, audiophile headphones.....$100

Oneguy,  what size is the male plug on the end of the cord,  1/8 or 1/4?  Can you show a picture?

Thanks,

Bob

5 hours ago, oneguy said:

From what I found those are only 64 ohm headphones. You might be missing sounds made by the monster, detector headphones should be good to 150 ohm's. I tried my audiophile grade Grado headphones that are amazing for listening to music too, with the monster it did not sound anything like my Jimmy Sierra or Detector pro headphones, somewhat muffled/distorted, it was no bueno for me.

30 minutes ago, Boorx4 said:

Oneguy,  what size is the male plug on the end of the cord,  1/8 or 1/4?  Can you show a picture?

Thanks,

Bob

Like my Grados they come with an 1/8 jack wired and a 1/4 adapter you can remove, so they do plug right into the monster. I bet his loud speaker still sounds on the monster which is very annoying, but maybe not.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

From what I found those are only 64 ohm headphones. You might be missing sounds made by the monster, detector headphones should be good to 150 ohm's. I tried my audiophile grade Grado headphones that are amazing for listening to music too, with the monster it did not sound anything like my Jimmy Sierra or Detector pro headphones, somewhat muffled/distorted, it was no bueno for me.

Like my Grados they come with an 1/8 jack wired and a 1/4 adapter you can remove, so they do plug right into the monster. I bet his loud speaker still sounds on the monster which is very annoying, but maybe not.

On the Monster I normally don't use headphones unless by the river or noise and usually hunt with just the speaker.  On my Monster the Senns work fine imo and the external speaker is quiet when the Senns are plugged in.  I suppose I miss a few nuggs here and there but in my first season last summer I managed 105 nuggs and I was happy with that. 

Ps....The short time I had a GPX5000 I also used the Senns and once again I believe I heard every blip and waver on the threshold....????

PSS....  Now that I think of it....The Koss 30's with the eTrac and the POS Koss that came with the Monster sound like crap on my eTrac and the Koss with my Monster didn't even work brand new outta the box with the Monster they came with...lol

Anyways...I'm happy with what I use and most likely will continue to use them as they've served me well......

Sennhauser makes a good headphone. I've looked at their 150 ohm models but its a gamble how they'll sound with my detector. I just think that if someone were to buy new headphones for detecting they should be spending $100+ on headphones designed for detecting. Personally, I have some relief knowing its not the headphones possibly acting as one of many limiting factors to finding a nugget. Maybe there is the ultimate set of phones out there somewhere for each one of us, wish I could try them all...:head:

Edited by Alwaysdirty
I cant spell
  • Like 1

I dont even use headphones with the goldmonster its loud enough with the external speaker I still hear every blip and beep with out them :head: Mike C...:200:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Mike C... said:

I dont even use headphones with the goldmonster its loud enough with the external speaker I still hear every blip and beep with out them :head: Mike C...:200:

It is loud! Almost too loud, it about echoes through the valley your in. The sound dampening of headphones helps me concentrate on the sounds of the detector and not think about the dozen Wasps buzzing around my head!:th_panic:

• Haha 4
On 1/13/2019 at 7:58 PM, Oregal1976 said:

I never found a single one that actually worked with the Monster until one of our forum members handmade one for me. It works perfectly! If something like that could be put into production and marketed exclusively to Monster owners who are using high-end, 1/2" jack headphones and with minimal expense/ tooling/ etc., it should easily pay for the expense AND still bring in a tidy profit.

:m2c:

Lisa

Hey Oregal1976, 

Could you check with your contact to see what he could do for other Monster owners.  If he does not have time to make more adapters, maybe he could give instructions so people can make their own.

Thanks,

Bob

On 1/14/2019 at 10:08 AM, oneguy said:

Hey One Guy...What's the link to the phones you're talking about?  ... Thanks, Cheers, Unc

18 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Hey One Guy...What's the link to the phones you're talking about?  ... Thanks, Cheers, Unc

Ron,  can't post a link for some reason???  Look up sennhieser 280 and you'll find it...……….

18 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

19 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Ron,  can't post a link for some reason???  Look up sennhieser 280 and you'll find it...……….

Here you go.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-280-pro

On 1/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, Mike C... said:

Just saying, Yep.... I am filming much of the time so do not wear headset and the GM 1000 has a dandy speaker even with my darn ringing ears....

• Like 1

A friend and I tested quite a few different headphones with the monster, both 1/4 and 1/8 jack. Some worked with a mono adaptor, some a stereo, but they all worked with the right adaptor.

Being a Koss fan I just use the R 80s with the monster. Work great. But totally agree the speaker will do the job just fine. Do what works for you and enjoy!

On 1/15/2019 at 4:44 PM, Boorx4 said:

Hey Oregal1976, 

Could you check with your contact to see what he could do for other Monster owners.  If he does not have time to make more adapters, maybe he could give instructions so people can make their own.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I just sent him a PM with a link to this page/thread and let him know someone might be interested in his adapters, with an invite for him to jump right in this conversation if he's still interested in making them. I'll let ya'll know if I hear anything.

Cheers!

Lisa

Hi 

Oregal1976 ask me to check in;

I am retired and don’t have a business so I have been custom making a few adapters for friends. They are good quality and work fine with all high impedance/resistance headphones.

It is not a simple mechanical or wiring task. I install small resisters inside the connectors to adapt/match the impedance required by the Gold Monster circuity. 

With the cost of parts and not valuing my labor very high I can sell them at $20 dollars plus $5 for packaging and postage. That is normal US 1st class shipping rate which may take about a week to reach you. Customs and shipping to Australia is $15 dollars.

I will need some time to get parts to put a few together if anyone is interested.

Have a good day,
Chet

Gold Monster 1000 adapter.jpg

• Like 5