Nugget Shooter Forums

Rock from Camino, CA

It's very difficult to ID rock from photos. It looks like a fairly ordinary chunk of granite, especially around the top portion. Looks like there was a crack which allowed water in, which deposited material on the surface inside the crack giving the rainbow effect. As to the gold portion, well the photos are pretty blurry when zoomed in so can't really tell what's going on there. Normally I would say mica, but even blurry it doesn't look quite right for that. Taking a close up picture of that portion of the stone in direct sun light may help getting it identified. 

And like I said earlier, it's difficult to ID rocks from photos alone, so my opinion above should not be taken as gospel. I may be way off on this.

Edited by d_day

On 1/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, d_day said:

And like I said earlier, it's difficult to ID rocks from photos alone, so my opinion above should not be taken as gospel. I may be way off on this.

Ditto, ditto and more ditto.

Nice find! looks like you found the end of a rainbow.  There is a lot of mineralization in this rock.  Pyrite for sure, then other minerals that I cannot ID from the photos provided.

• Like 1

For the gold looking thing, a needle pushed to it will crumble for pyrite and the material will dent if gold.  You can also crush and pan it to be sure.  Something that big will be left at the bottom of the pan.

Gold does not rust at all - but iron does, including pyrite, which is an iron sulfide. The rock is stained inside and out with rusty iron stain - with the most intense stain being right up against your "unknown" mineral. Sorry. Its pyrite, not gold.

• Like 2