Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello Kyle,.......Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, BUT, over the years of detecting I have come across "More-than-One" area where I have gotten excited after finding One Nugget,...gone back time and time again searching for more, but was only able to snag that ONE NUGGET,....JUST ONE-NUGGET-ONLY?????!!!!!  These "ONE-NUGGET-SPOTS" are hard to explain (or Reason why???) yet they do exist.  I have gone back to these spots over the years using different detectors, ..different-sized coils,..different reasoning and logic as to where that One Nugget came from, and WHY where there no others around??....I have searched up on a hillside, on a slope, .upstream, etc., etc., etc. you name it.  Did it come from out of a quartz stringer?,.. out of an outcrop of exposed bedrock?,... out of an outcropping of boulders???................"OR",... maybe a crow flew over at some time in the past and pooped that one nugget out, right where you found it ..(ya know crows are attracted to bright and shiney objects).  At any rate, these spots do exist to confound us, and sometimes the geology is such that just one nugget is uncovered ,................maybe the others are 20 ft. deep right under where you found that one??????????????  Happy Hunting.  Gary     

• Like 4
1 hour ago, LowPoint said:

Hello Kyle,.......Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, BUT, over the years of detecting I have come across "More-than-One" area where I have gotten excited after finding One Nugget,...gone back time and time again searching for more, but was only able to snag that ONE NUGGET,....JUST ONE-NUGGET-ONLY?????!!!!!  These "ONE-NUGGET-SPOTS" are hard to explain (or Reason why???) yet they do exist.  I have gone back to these spots over the years using different detectors, ..different-sized coils,..different reasoning and logic as to where that One Nugget came from, and WHY where there no others around??....I have searched up on a hillside, on a slope, .upstream, etc., etc., etc. you name it.  Did it come from out of a quartz stringer?,.. out of an outcrop of exposed bedrock?,... out of an outcropping of boulders???................"OR",... maybe a crow flew over at some time in the past and pooped that one nugget out, right where you found it ..(ya know crows are attracted to bright and shiney objects).  At any rate, these spots do exist to confound us, and sometimes the geology is such that just one nugget is uncovered ,................maybe the others are 20 ft. deep right under where you found that one??????????????  Happy Hunting.  Gary     

Yes, one nug washes are common and a bit of a bummer.  I guess its just a little bit of gold goob that formed in just the right spot to get eroded away for us to find it.    But, it is a good place to start and spiral out from there. Learning the ground and what is going on. :)  Keep at it and learn! 
Tom H.

• Like 3

Gary, I'm onboard with the crow theory, at this point! I am moving on to new areas, for now. Like you mentioned, if I get a PI detector, I'll go over the area again. I feel like 20 hours is a solid effort, and I can move on, for now. Gonna file it in the "someday" pile, while looking for greener pastures...

Tom, thanks for the reply. I had a blast chasing theories, and what-if scenarios, all over that hillside. All except the feet-ass-sky pirouette move. Gonna skip that next time.

I know next to zero about geology, or prospecting, in general. I am cramming knowledge down as fast as I can. One nugget was a lucky break, but I never want to quit anything early, and wonder later if I failed to try hard enough.

I drove my Dad nuts, when he took me fishing as a little kid. I was SURE that "next cast" had a fish for me, and I would be casting over my shoulder, as he drug me back to the truck...

I'm shy on skill and education at this point, but I'm a bit like a pitbull on a pants cuff, as far as determination goes. Just ask my Wife. I drive her nuts! Haha.

Regards, Kyle

18 minutes ago, Trailertrash said:

Gary, I'm onboard with the crow theory, at this point! I am moving on to new areas, for now. Like you mentioned, if I get a PI detector, I'll go over the area again. I feel like 20 hours is a solid effort, and I can move on, for now. Gonna file it in the "someday" pile, while looking for greener pastures...

Tom, thanks for the reply. I had a blast chasing theories, and what-if scenarios, all over that hillside. All except the feet-ass-sky pirouette move. Gonna skip that next time.

I know next to zero about geology, or prospecting, in general. I am cramming knowledge down as fast as I can. One nugget was a lucky break, but I never want to quit anything early, and wonder later if I failed to try hard enough.

I drove my Dad nuts, when he took me fishing as a little kid. I was SURE that "next cast" had a fish for me, and I would be casting over my shoulder, as he drug me back to the truck...

I'm shy on skill and education at this point, but I'm a bit like a pitbull on a pants cuff, as far as determination goes. Just ask my Wife. I drive her nuts! Haha.

Regards, Kyle

Kyle, as an example of my "crow theory" I was hiking up on one of three extinct volcano's over here in northern Arizona searching for an old Indian ruin that I had found when I was a kid many years before.  I was almost to the top of the middle volcano, way up in the thick pines when I stopped to catch my breath for the remaining hike uphill when I looked down and saw something "pink" in a small bush just uphill from where I had stopped????  I thought: "what-the-heck-is-that"????   Upon reaching it I discovered that it was a "pink women's pro golf ball"??????????  What the heck was it doing way up on the side of an extinct volcano out in the thick forest?????  It baffled me for some time, until I mentioned it to a friend who said that he had seen crows pick up golf balls and fly off with them.  So, I think some crow determined that that pink golf ball was food and was taking it back to it's nest.  There are "other" birds that collect bright, sparkly objects to adorn their nests to impress a prospective female mate as well.  I look on the "One nugget spot" as a geological mishap more than a crow incident.  Gary 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Trailertrash said:

All except the feet-ass-sky pirouette move. Gonna skip that next time.

I never had heard it expressed quite like that before, but it doesn't make it less painful.  I have done a few of them in the last couple of years being that I'm 85 now.  You really have to train yourself how to fall at my age.  First thing I do is throw everything as far as I can away from my body and roll to the side in a fetal position.  It's worked for me so far not to mention a few cuts and bruises along the way.  

You know everyone has to start somewhere so don't get discouraged and take your time.  I takes time to learn what's needed to become as successful nugget beeper.  Finding something of value is becoming more difficult every day with all the more folks coming into the hobby.  I relate to your exuberance of when you were a kid and your father had to drag you away from the 'Old Fishing Hole'.  That' exactly how I was and it's not a bad thing.  Loose that and I would feel sorry for you.  Keep up the interest with wifey and have a good time.  :black_knight_standing:

Old Tom 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, LowPoint said:

It's possible  it's the only nugget left from a patch someone else previously cleaned out.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Old Tom said:

I never had heard it expressed quite like that before, but it doesn't make it less painful.  I have done a few of them in the last couple of years being that I'm 85 now.  You really have to train yourself how to fall at my age.  First thing I do is throw everything as far as I can away from my body and roll to the side in a fetal position.  It's worked for me so far not to mention a few cuts and bruises along the way.  

You know everyone has to start somewhere so don't get discouraged and take your time.  I takes time to learn what's needed to become as successful nugget beeper.  Finding something of value is becoming more difficult every day with all the more folks coming into the hobby.  I relate to your exuberance of when you were a kid and your father had to drag you away from the 'Old Fishing Hole'.  That' exactly how I was and it's not a bad thing.  Loose that and I would feel sorry for you.  Keep up the interest with wifey and have a good time.  :black_knight_standing:

Old Tom 

Thanks, Tom

I totally agree on the best way to fall. I raced motorcycles off and on for years. Tuck, definitely don't stick arms and legs out, and don't "get in a fistfight with the planet", and you are usually OK. I forgot all that, and jammed my elbow down, trying to save the detector, and the rest of my gear. Oops. 

I'm off to a club claim tomorrow. It rained quite a bit here, the last couple days, so maybe tomorrow is the day?

I appreciate the kind words.

Kyle

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Morlock said:

It's possible  it's the only nugget left from a patch someone else previously cleaned out.

That's the conclusion I'm going with, for now. There is a prospecting club meeting this weekend, maybe I can learn a little more about the area, and go from there.

Thanks, Kyle

On 1/16/2019 at 8:08 PM, LowPoint said:

over the years of detecting I have come across "More-than-One" area where I have gotten excited after finding One Nugget,...gone back time and time again searching for more, but was only able to snag that ONE NUGGET,....JUST ONE-NUGGET-ONLY?????!!!!!  These "ONE-NUGGET-SPOTS" are hard to explain (or Reason why???) yet they do exist. ..........

Hey LowPoint,

That is too funny.  I found a nice 6 gm. specy of gold and quartz up on a hill many years ago.  Decided to hit that area last Friday with the new Gold Monster.  I hunted down slope from where the specy was found.  Then went up slope and found where the quartz came from.  Followed the quartz float all afternoon and came away with not even a speck of gold (nugget or in quartz).  I know the area wasn't covered by other detectors because I came away with a hand full of lead bullets and some 10 pieces of bird shot.  I kept asking out loud, "gold, where the h--l are you?"  Still scratching my head as to why only one nice specy.  Will give it one more try some day soon.

Bob

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Boorx4 said:

Hey LowPoint,

That is too funny.  I found a nice 6 gm. specy of gold and quartz up on a hill many years ago.  Decided to hit that area last Friday with the new Gold Monster.  I hunted down slope from where the specy was found.  Then went up slope and found where the quartz came from.  Followed the quartz float all afternoon and came away with not even a speck of gold (nugget or in quartz).  I know the area wasn't covered by other detectors because I came away with a hand full of lead bullets and some 10 pieces of bird shot.  I kept asking out loud, "gold, where the h--l are you?"  Still scratching my head as to why only one nice specy.  Will give it one more try some day soon.

Bob

I'm not glad you didn't find more gold, but misery does love company!

I might be starting to piece the mystery together, at least for my little piece. I found this about 50 feet from an old pit. It goes down maybe 6 feet, and then sideways, an unknown distance, following quartz uphill. There is a pile all around the pit, and a few baseball to football size chunks of quartz. My eyeball estimate says not enough for the size of the hole. There are a few tailings piles around, and I now believe that's where I found the piece I have.

What I am wondering is, did they do some small scale crushing and sampling on the hillside, but then hauled most of the ore away by truck, to process?

I wish I had a picture of the operation, 70 or 80 years ago. I bet it would make more sense.

Several of the tailings piles look like ground up quartz, like cat litter size. That's where I got the idea. 

Knowing just about zero, as far as mining goes..... Well, it's just a guess.

Regards, Kyle