Nugget Shooter Forums

My Wife and I have been living in our 5th wheel, and traveling back and forth between southern NV, and central Wa. State, for almost two years now. I recently caught the metal detecting bug. Maybe "caught my second case", would be a better description. I had a Tesoro detector, way back in 1993, that was stolen out of my truck, a couple months after I got it.

I picked up a Garrett Ace250, last summer, and had fun playing with that for a couple months before ordering an Equinox 800. It's a bit of a learning curve, but I am really liking the machine. When I do my part, it does amazing things.

So far, the "amazing things" have been the removal of most of the lead shot, bullet fragments, little pieces of rusted iron, and general trash from the desert of Southern Nevada. :)

Big shout out to Bill Southern. Your video tutorials have been priceless to us. Just yesterday, my Wife found a tack, and a tiny staple in a wash. I never would have given a thought to what they might be, other than "what the .... are these doing out here?" . Thanks to your videos, I picked up a clue. Just one of many!

We are joining a couple of local clubs, and plan to spend a lot more time getting out in the desert this winter.

Forums like this are better for my learning style than any classroom ever was. 

Glad to be here, I hope I can contribute something back, as I learn more.

Regards, Kyle

• Like 6

Clues are important.  They have meaning to you and perhaps not to someone else.  It doesn't matter if you are seeking gold, meteorites or relics.

Our best detectorists see more clues than the rest of us.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.. I sure wish the Equinox series had been available when I started detecting;
the 800 would have been the only machine I ever needed for the SE USA.. :Detector:

Swamp

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I just got back from another 3 hour outing. No gold, unfortunately, but I am getting better at using the machine. I figure if I'm finding #8 birdshot, I must be doing ok. I was chuckling to myself, as I was kneeling there, looking at a pellet in my scoop, thinking "This must be the definition of Newb. I'm actually proud of finding a birdshot pellet"

I can see where day after day of that would get old, but for now, each one is a little more experience. 

Kyle

• Like 1
  • well done 1

Kyle, 

Welcome to the forum, as far as finding birdshot goes, get used to it, when you do find some gold you will be still finding 100 or so birdshot and other tidbits to every piece of gold but that the way it goes, but on the bright side every birdshot and other trash you find is one less in your way to finding that piece of gold, and if you're finding trash that usually means that area hasn't been hunted out!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome. I spent today on a closed placer claim that was first filed in 1947. I don't know much else about the site, but there are tailings piles there, and I am trying to work them in a logical manner. I have the most trouble slowing things down, and covering every inch. The temptation to run through the desert, swinging the detector like the Special Olympics hockey team is strong. I am going back as soon as weather allows, but this time, I am taking mason's twine, to make squares. Force my little pea-brain to slow down, and not flit off to the next promising looking pile!

Regards, Kyle

• Like 2

I've actually been to Pahrump, lots of signs of mineralization on the way there (and old hardrock mines), and there are some goldfields for placer in that area as well. Welcome and good luck.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1