Nugget Shooter Forums
Reno Chris

What I did prospecting in 2018 – The good and the bad

Last year was not a banner prospecting year for me. I got out a number of times and did detect some gold and did some dry washing, but it was a year of other problems. I had two trips to the hospital, one emergency by ambulance, and one for surgery on my heart (not open heart, but the doctor put a probe up through a vein into the inside of my heart). My wife had two stays at the hospital as well. We also spent time moving my elderly mother in law from southern California where she has few remaining relatives, up to Reno.

I did get some nice gold in my prospecting, but I made fewer trips and got less gold than I have in many years. I did however, do some serious hard rock prospecting in 2018 and made two deals with mining exploration companies to lease out properties that I own.  One deal was made on a set of claims that I had staked years ago, while the other was on a large set of claims I staked in 2018 (along with two partners which I have in that claim group). We staked over 200 claims in that group and it took some time in getting all of those claims out and posted. The company that leased those claims from us flew a helicopter survey over them and made several exciting finds. The ore bodies likely found there are electrically conductive, and the coil and electronics used to “see” the ore bodies are of a pulse type design – just like the pulse detectors we use, but with a gigantic coil and a bit different electronics.

So I can look at 2018 in a couple ways – for the direct gold I dug, it was a very poor year.  Yet for the total money I made on my prospecting it was a different story.  Counting the money I made on leasing out claims in 2018, if you calculated out the equivalent ounces of gold, would make it my best year ever, by far. The money was the bullion weight equivalent of several pounds.

So in 2019 I hope to stay out of the hospital, and to take no rides in ambulances. I pray my wife stays out of the hospital too.  I hope to spend more time in the hills prospecting, and do more detecting and more drywashing as well.  I will stake some more claims and see if I can get those leased out as well, but I really want to do my own prospecting as I enjoy that so much.

For those interested in more details on the story of the claims I staked and how I got them leased off to two different exploration companies, I have a story this month in the ICMJ – called Making a Big Discovery. In the February and March issues I will have a two part article on how these lease contracts are structured and what a small miner might expect in such a deal.

Photos – A few of my detected nuggets; the helicopter surveying my claims, and some of the ground where the claims are located.

patch_gold.jpg

VTEM_007.jpg

Blue_target_site02.jpg

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 9
  • well done 4

Sorry to hear about your health problems, hope you are successful in 2019 of not going to the hospital.  Congrats on leasing your claims, that sounds exciting and prosperous!  Nice gold too.  

I wonder how small a nugget that helicopter can see lol. 

Hope the health problems are behind you!! I need to look into the hard rock stuff as well. I figure as much as I am out there in the field, I should pay attention. Congratulations on a big year for you.

Chris

Wishing you and your wife all the best this year my friend! Looking forward to reading about the Big Discovery. Hope to see you this year too. We'll be traveling frequently so the time should be right for another fun dinner or day out in the field at some point :-) 

Sounds like a good year. Online it says the leasing company paid you guys over a million dollars, plus stock. But I can imagine over 200 claims are not cheap either.. congrats

Dave

Edited by DolanDave
Correction

Good for you Chris. I wish you and your wife the best. 

Sounds like a good year. Online it says the leasing company paid you guys over a million dollars, plus stock. But I can imagine over 200 claims are not cheap either.. congrats

These deals are structured to pay low the first few years to allow the company to explore the property. If a big find is made, then they will keep the property and pay the big balloon payment at the end. So I have only the first years payment, not the whole thing. Its sort of like selling a house with owner financing - but the buyer has the option to cancel the purchase at any time...

• Like 2

Wishing you and your wife a healthy new year, and thanks for sharing. I also hope you continue having fun prospecting for a long time to come.:thumbsupanim

the other reno chris aka ht hermit.:head:

Read the article already, kudos to you for playing out every aspect that mining has to offer.  And good for you for not ignoring signs or symptoms that your body was telling you.  Early recognition is huge in medicine.  Here’s to a healthy new year to all of us.  

Hope to see you at a convention Chris!

Brownie 

Thanks for all the kind wishes!
Just to clarify, my heart problem is a non-standard one. Its not really related to weight, smoking or being out of shape - like most heart problems are. What I have is something you could get if you were an Olympic level athlete. What happened was another spot on my heart started telling the heart to beat - in addition to the normal one that tells the heart to beat. The two beat indicators sort of fought against each other. Initially, I never even knew I had it - it was discovered at a normal check up. I went to a cardiologist and he was not too worried about it, my blood oxygen levels were normal and I wasn't out of breath or anything like that. But he warned me that if the two beat indicators got into a full fight mode I could end up with a super fast beat and that would be more of a problem. Well, about six months later I was doing minor stuff in the backyard with my wife, and I suddenly went into this super fast heart beat mode. My heart was beating at 180 beats per minute (around 70 is normal). It would not go back to normal, so the ambulance was called. It did go back to normal after about 20 minutes, but they still took me to the hospital for a few days. I am now on a prescription and it seems to keep things normal and I have had no more tachycardia events. The Cardiologist has OK'ed me to prospect and hike and do any other normal outdoor activities.

• Like 3
  • wow 1

Thats good Chris. Hopefully the medication keeps it under control. 

take hawthorn medicine. started taking it five years ago, 74 with a heart rate of a twenty year old. eating all organic helps a lot.

Very cool Chris and see you this summer (I hope)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

Just to clarify, my heart problem is a non-standard one. Its not really related to weight, smoking or being out of shape - like most heart problems are. What I have is something you could get if you were an Olympic level athlete. What happened was another spot on my heart started telling the heart to beat - in addition to the normal one that tells the heart to beat. The two beat indicators sort of fought against each other. Initially, I never even knew I had it - it was discovered at a normal check up. I went to a cardiologist and he was not too worried about it, my blood oxygen levels were normal and I wasn't out of breath or anything like that. But he warned me that if the two beat indicators got into a full fight mode I could end up with a super fast beat and that would be more of a problem. Well, about six months later I was doing minor stuff in the backyard with my wife, and I suddenly went into this super fast heart beat mode. My heart was beating at 180 beats per minute (around 70 is normal). It would not go back to normal, so the ambulance was called. It did go back to normal after about 20 minutes, but they still took me to the hospital for a few days. I am now on a prescription and it seems to keep things normal and I have had no more tachycardia events. The Cardiologist has OK'ed me to prospect and hike and do any other normal outdoor activities.

I have a bud -- a totally active outdoorsman -- who has exactly the same thing, down to the 180 bpm when it triggered.. They put him on medication, geez, nearly twenty years ago now that I'm thinking about it.. He hasn't had another event since..

Swamp

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

Wow Chris, glad you are OK.  If I remember my physiology classes, the SA Sino-Atrial Node of the heart is the PACEMAKER, that keeps your heart beating at a regulated rate.  It actually gets messages from the brain telling it when your pulse ox level O2 is low and it starts beating harder to bring more oxygen to the brain.  I have never heard of this condition you have where a secondary part of the heart is sending conflicting information to make the heart beat as well, it's actually sort of fascinating.  However, I'm sure with you having the condition, you would prefer to  have a heart that is "not interesting."  Bottom line is I hope you have a fun and non-medically eventful 2019 my friend.

Doc

• Like 3

SA Sino-Atrial Node of the heart is the PACEMAKER, that keeps your heart beating at a regulated rate.

That's true. My Cardiologist told me that any part of the heart interior was capable for becoming a beat initiator. He tried to cauterize the spot inside my heart that was causing the problem (a common procedure cal ablation), but it turned out to be located in a dangerous spot, so that didn't work..