Nugget Shooter Forums

Big changes to LSD area

TomH

And not good ones! Looks like its going to start being developed in the future. I have seen a lot of zoning hearing signs around CHS road as it leads into the lake. Now I know why.

https://repository.asu.edu/attachments/128940/content/Castle Hot Springs Scenic Corridor Design Guidelines.pdf

Tom H.

• Sad 1

I could not read the link right now, HOWEVER I am guessing by your remark, and the 1 weekend I spent camped there, Its going to become a residential and commercial area !
Judging from the amount of "traffic" that FLEW by the camper all night long Its a good guess ???

I'm thinking that property taxes will be going up sharply while public access and allowed activity will be drastically reduced.  :yikes:
The good news (for some who want to sell) is that property values will probably skyrocket. (See 1031 tax free exchange)

I read it and am sick at heart about it.  Being originally a refugee from the East I have seen all this before.  I always tell the young folks to enjoy and make use of what we have now because the developers will come in and snatch it all away soon.  I have seen my hunting and fishing areas as a youth taken away from us and left nowhere to go to recreate unless you paid a large fee.  Sort of like having to pay a fee to go on Tribal land.  

When we came to Arizona in 1966 you could go into Lake Pleasant whenever you wanted unmolested and without fee.  Then they set up entrance booths and charged a fee of .25 cents and said that it's such a little amount why complain.  Well things don't stay the same and it escalated like I knew it would.  One even has to pay to get to the chain lakes anymore.  Some day the backcountry and outdoor sports will be only for the well to do and privileged. (Sort of Robin Hood and Sherwood Forrest.)  

When some of you are my age you will look back and say the same thing that I have just said.  Get out and use what God has give us while we have it. ( Shades of Soilent Green!!)    

Old Tom

• Like 9

I really don't know what this means.  It is either a regulation, building code, or it is not.  It uses words like "encourage."  They want within 500' of the castle hot springs road to be encouraged no new building of more than one story and 30' or 1/4 mile of centerline encouraged to be no more than 30' tall.

Most of the houses already there will not meet those encouragements, especially off the paved road, but its for new construction. Seems if I'm not affected by the encouraging, I can build to the county code.  I wonder if the current residents were consulted or if the county did this on their own.

I've been thinking about the I-17 corridor and if they will build beside the 60, over it, or away from it.  I kind of expect a mixture, but once you get to Wickenburg, I doubt they will build over alongside the current road.  I kind of expect the highway to be built a mile or two off and go through some of the areas I prospect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frank c said:

Judging from the amount of "traffic" that FLEW by the camper all night long

Yeah, sorry about that... , I had a little to much to drink , and the quad is so much fun :D:2drink:

Edited by adam
  • Haha 7

23 hours ago, Old Tom said:

...When we came to Arizona in 1966 you could go into Lake Pleasant whenever you wanted unmolested and without fee.  Then they set up entrance booths and charged a fee of .25 cents and said that it's such a little amount why complain.  Well things don't stay the same and it escalated like I knew it would...

Old Tom

Same thing happened here, and I'd think frank c can vouch for at least some of this thanks to his before times fishing trips out of Sebastian.. When I alit here in 1984 (speaking of 'shades of') parking on both sides of Sebastian Inlet was free.. At some point in the very early '90s, at least on the south side which is far and away the lesser used side, 'they' instituted a 25 cent parking fee for the front row curb nearest the inlet.. There was no booth and it was honor system pay into 3 or 4 parking-meter-height-and-size hardened steel boxes along the boundary.. We just kinda laughed, as we were the only vehicles in the lot (five motorcycles..) Can't remember where we actually parked, 'though I doubt front row.. Anyone who's ever been two-up on a motorcycle on a downhill slope facing curb parking will understand why not..

A few years later a couple of couples took a ride back down that way.. Pulled into south side parking and what's this? -- a booth..! Parking is now $1 for cars and motorcycles, $2 if yer towing a camper and $4 if yer driving a camper.. We just turned around n headed for the Sebastian Beach Inn, where the parking is free, the brewskis are cold and the live entertainment is better-than-average..

About five years ago N & I are heading home on A1A following a fastroad ride down to Wabasso Beach.. While on the bridge crossing Sebastian Inlet I see a bunch of folks along the inlet's "beach", so I hang a Louie into north side parking to see if we can check things out.. Nuh-uh.. Cheapest entry through the gate is now $7 with a menu's worth of staggered pricings up to $18.. Needless to say we weren't that curious..

I don't even want to get into the development the last 30 years along that narrow strip of barrier island between the inlet and South Melbourne Beach other than to say it is probably worse than what y'all are facing due to its having used nearly 100% of all land (swamp?) available.. When and where progress cannot be stopped it really is best to try to control it before the fact by implementing sensible and responsible codes and stifling graft & kickbacks as best is possible than it is trying to fix things after the fact.. Sux that this happens at all, and the greater Phoenix vicinity is far from alone in needing to deal with a growth scenario of this nature.. Better to be prepared and in charge than overrun and on defense..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 2
  • well done 1

If that place is going to be developed, it will need to be about a mile a time, just like it was with the new set of houses built North of 74.  I honestly don't see the types of developments they are asking for being put in.  If Castle Hot Springs road were to be built, it would be a mixture of BLM land sales and State Trust land sales. I wonder if the county is in Negotiations with the State and the BLM to put blocks of land up for sale. IMO there's too much housing development starting in the Wittman area along easier to build on land with much, much more of this easy land left to go any further North along Castle Hot Springs road than already has.  I think it is a county officials dream and efforts to start this, but I feel it will take a long time for it to be actually built.

After you get past the county line, the road does become winding because of the hills and mountains inside Yavapai county.  Although the school district between Wittman and Surprise may expect to grow from 800 students to 11,000 students over the next few years, my gut tells me this won't happen.  At worst, the camping area at Jack Ass flats may go away, but hopefully not the access.  The LSD used to be accessible elsewhere, but still is, you just need to go through the gravel plant to the windmill.

The more I think about it, the less likely I see this happening.  It's kind of like the sign by my house to build the World's biggest shopping mall.  It's been there for 20 years and its still being farmed.  Its someone's idea that has a lot of energy, but can't sell that idea into fruition.

• Like 1

Well, they did this NW of Wickenburg at Wickenburg Ranch...Totally raped what was prime indian artifact land...Bulldozed it and and built the first hundred or so homes, each so close together neighbors are fighting because of sounds of air conditioners running! .. Real travesty!  All for developers' greed! ... Supposed to be over 2,000 homes in a relatively small area... Bummed!  Unc

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I hope with all my heart for you to be correct, Chris.. Unfortunately I don't think you are.. They may be a bit optimistic with the very near term numbers, but come 2030..? Look out..! Actually, every major metro area (and lesser ones too) that "escape winter" are under siege..

I'm basing my statement on the growth I've seen in two locations: Central FL / Orlando sprawl -- 1984 through present day ; Tucson, AZ -- how it looked when I lived there in 1973 - '74 vs what it looks like based on Google Earth images a couple years ago.. You can check the Tucson overheads; I'll tell you a bit about greater Orlando..

For starters I'll simply say thank goodness for the St. Johns River watershed and flood plain when it comes to those of us living east of O'do and I-95 cos we'd already be being gobbled up by them (we only need to deal with "typical" east coast growth..) Orlando "suburbs" since I've been here have expanded approx. 40 miles in every direction except east -- east only because they've bumped up against the no-build zones.. It's seriously insane.. Locations I thought would be rural forever, as in 20 miles outside the city limits and 20 mile stretches of two-lane rumpletop 35 years ago have been gobbled up, totally filled in with housing, much of which is multiple family dwellings, and shopping and mini-mart gas-'em-ups fifteen years ago already, and is about that many miles past those points too now..

I mean, they aren't called Orlando, but for all intent and purpose that's what it is.. Orlando is now about 2/3rds the way to Daytona, 3/4ths the way to Tampa / St. Pete and well on its way to Sebring.. The only reason it isn't here is cos they can't get their built-on-stilts approved -- that and wildlife habitats n a couple other pesky rules & regulations of that ilk.. Believe me, they'd they'd figure out a way to build off the ground all the way across the wetlands if left to their own designs..

Sadly, when I look at CHS Rd. and Rt. 74 I see the future.. 

Swamp

• Like 1

Really don't think Arizona had the draw that California and Florida has.  Unless you like outdoor activities or are drawn by a small but growing tech sector relatively isolated to the Eastern Valley, there is just not the draw there is to this state that there are to the other two states.  I do not see Maricopa County growing by 50% in the next 11 years with another 2 million residents as this report suggests.  I think investing in land speculation in the Castle Hot Springs Area won't pay off.