Nugget Shooter Forums

Pulse Induction

Adrian

I posted this in a Facebook group and didn't  get a response, hopefully I can get one here. 
Thanks for any input. 

I have a question for the pulse induction guys here. I’m running a GPX5000, the reason to run these machines is mineralization and better depth and hopefully reach gold that has been missed by other machines that can’t go as deep. On my last trip to AZ I dug many targets but nothing over about 4”, you would think there would be something deeper. I realize a lot of places the ground is shallow. Another thing I noticed was places that had been dug we’re all shallow or just scrape marks. I have tested my machine and it has no problem finding targets at depth and I pay close attention to my threshold. I guess my question is for any of you guys running a bigger pi machine are you finding targets at any considerable depth. Sorry for the long post, but it was just on my mind.
Cheers Adrian.

• Like 3

Adrian, The GPX5000 will find deep targets, (targets at depth) as you have alluded to. (After stating that you dug many targets but nothing over about 4") So, are you trying to determine if other PI detectors will detect deeper? And what size "target" are you referring to? What does "a bigger pi" mean to you?

BMc , no I have no question about the depth of the 5000. just seeing if people are getting deeper targets.

I've spent 8days in total about  6-8hr/day and everything Ive dug has only been 2-4'' deep, I just haven't dug anything (trash or otherwise) deeper.

I aware I'm probably not in the greatest of places but I would assume If I'm finding lead bullets an such I would be finding stuff deeper.  

I have never run a 5000 but dig many shallow targets with my PI.  I would take 2 hours and plant yourself some lead bullets at various depths and listen to the sounds at different depths with various settings.  Also tune your ears to real gold if you have some.  This should “generally” prove to you what’s going on.   

You haven’t lived until you dig 18” holes for trash or chase hot ground around until you realize your chasing your own tail 🤷🏼‍♂️🏻

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My son's first trip out with our GPX5000, his last target was a piece of old can about the size of your thumbnail.  We dug over 20" down to get it.  The PI machine I was using could not see that target at that depth, the GPX though hit on it consistently.  That one hole is the reason I now own a Bunk's pick lol.

Maybe the area you were hunting had shallow bedrock/false bedrock?

• Like 2

You could indeed use some instruction as Wade mentioned and the settings used along with coil determine how deep you will hear a target (along with ground conditions) the special,  sensitive "fine gold" setting for instance is for hunting smaller gold in shallow ground and there asre many variations one can use in different hunting situations.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Adrian said:

Another thing I noticed was places that had been dug we’re all shallow or just scrape marks.

Hi Adrian ... I had to read your post a couple times before i caught this little gem. Based on what you wrote you must have been in a shallow surface to bedrock area most if not all the time. If all the previous dig marks appear to be shallow or just scrape marks it is a good indication without digging that you are in shallow ground. I know the area you and I met up in is shallow in the range you spoke of for the most part. Further into the claim you would have found deeper ground up on the far hillside. I'm not exactly sure where you were after the time you spent with me. However I will make this offer to you that I will meet up with you again ... next time you are in AZ and we can re-evaluate what you are doing. We should go to a different place than Cleator ... perhaps down around Morristown ... I will take you to a place or two that you have a good chance of finding a nugget or two ... and a place or two where the ground is a bit deeper so you feel more comfortable that the detector is doing its job. You have my contact info ... text or call me when you are ready to come out again. You have the basics down ... you just need to get over a piece of gold, shallow or deep! The detector will 'see' it when you do and it will tell you to "Dig Me". Happy New Year!

• Like 5