Nugget Shooter Forums

Pic Heavy! My naturally egg shapped suoer smooth quartz

On more thing I want to share today is this really cool piece of quartz. It is kind of egg shapped and super smooth. It was either smoothed by ancient natives for some reason maybe for a game or something. or by water over time. I found it in a farmers field in southern Alberta that for some reason has alot of quartz in the area. This place in southern alberta gets very little rain each year but used to be under the water from the Western Interior Seaway. More specifically the Bearpaw sea. So I am thinking that is how it was shapped but again I do not know for sure. I have never found a piece of quartz like this before and I have been collecting quartz my whole life.  Anyway here are some photos. Tell me what you think.

20181226_192514.jpg

20181226_192524.jpg

20181226_192706.jpg

20181226_192804.jpg

20181226_192821.jpg

20181226_192816.jpg

20181226_192809.jpg

I've found super smooth rounded white quartz here. We live on land once owned by a tribe, the village left to go help Tecumseh fight. While the braves were gone Col Jackson, an Indian fighter who came up from Virginia, burned out their homes.

Edited by Red_desert

Nice find and pics under the light.  Could very well be from an ancient Indian trade route.  I found a couple of shells on my claim in central AZ I thought were fossils at first, but I now think they were lost by a trader along a trade route.  My partner found arrow heads on the claim.  I've found river cobble looking quarts, but nowhere near as rounded as yours.

2 hours ago, pRoDiEuS said:

The nearest river is probably an hour away from where it was found though.

Just because it's not in a river now does t mean it was t at one point. This planet is around 4 billion years old. Things have changed a lot.

Regardless of whether natural or manmade, I think it would make a good conversation piece mounted on top of a little LED light that cycles through some different colors.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, d_day said:

Just because it's not in a river now does t mean it was t at one point. This planet is around 4 billion years old. Things have changed a lot.

I agree. I thought you meant like there was a river near by or something where I found it lol. I agree it's most likely formed by a water current ar some point. Like I said before that whole area was under about a mile of water 60 million years ago. 

You both may be right. I always got in my car when I needed to find the answer on Indian artifacts. I had made friends with the main pipe carrier, of the Miami Indian tribe, which is a 2 hour drive south from here. He once showed me a clear quartz with yellow inclusions round stone polished as if put through a rock tumbler. According to him, another Indian from a tribe in Georgia gave as a gift. The stone was in diameter about same as a quarter. Now kept in a leather pouch, the Indian from Georgia had found it in a stream. My Miami Indian contact, told me how the tribes would go down to the rivers or streams to find their stones. Back then they didn't have rock tumblers, so stream polished stones were collected for smoothing more later. Why start with a rough stone when stream polished ones can be found? The finished work is much easier this way

I have a few like that of different materials and the spin like tops. I found  reference to a native childrens game where they spun the top and tried to run outside around wigwam or teepee or whatever and back in before it stopped.

NAs made all different types of tops for their children. Growing up years at home, we had a craft projects book on our book shelf. A few were borrowed from southwestern Indian tribes. Of course, the child's top was one of these craft projects.