Nugget Shooter Forums

Need help identifying

This is one of my finds this summer. It's a fist size stone of some kind. Feels almost like a sandstone or something. I brought it to the farmer whos land I found it on because I was curious of the hole and what made it. I thought maybe some native artifact or something because of how almost perfect the hole is. However he told me that the whole area millions of years ago was under about a mile of sea water known as the Western Interior Seaway. His specific area is known as the Bearpaw Sea. He explained that there was a type of seashell that would burrow into rocks and leave holes like that. He also thinks there maybe more shells inside the rock where flakes appear to be missing.

Can anyone confirm what the farmer has told me? Also should I leave the rock as is or break it open in search of the shells? My concern is there will be no shells inside and I will have broken it maybe damaging the whole for nothing. What are your thoughts?

20181226_105657.jpg

20181226_105603.jpg

20181226_105552.jpg

20181226_105530.jpg

Oh my, I've got a stone identical hole, similar shaped also. These came with other Native American artifacts. Don't have photos handy, all are in my other laptop. I have quit a few interesting flint bow scrapers, various interesting styles. See if you can find anything else, the hole might be from using a spindle for fire starting or if abrasive...perhaps sanding ends of arrow shaft.

Your hole looks it could be slightly larger than mine. But I have a white quartz stone worked smooth and rounded as a marble, probably could almost fit in that hole. The quartz is so pure white, not a spec of impurities. I see you are from Alberta, isn't there a large prehistoric stone wheel somewhere that area? I mean like the Big Horn Medicine Wheel except a different style with crossing spokes.

5 minutes ago, Red_desert said:

Your hole looks it could be slightly larger than mine. But I have a white quartz stone worked smooth and rounded as a marble, probably could almost fit in that hole. The quartz is so pure white, not a spec of impurities. I see you are from Alberta, isn't there a large prehistoric stone wheel somewhere that area? I mean like the Big Horn Medicine Wheel except a different style with crossing spokes.

Yes there is a medicine wheel or something like that in southern alberta. I have never seen it though. There are lots of native artifacts found all over southern alberta. My first thought when I found this rock was the same as yours. I thought it was possibly a bearing block for a bow drill. But it seems rather big for that but it would work for sure. If you get a chance can you post a reply to this post with some photos of your rock with a hole in it? I am very interested see it.

The shells I've seen in the ocean that burrow in are clam shells and are more oval/calm shaped and not perfectly round.  I saw about a dozen fist size holes like that burrowed into rock in western California that looked like the hole in your rock, just bigger, and those were used to grind corn.  Perhaps that was for a smaller spice?

I see two possibilities. It could be a burrowing clam. It may also be a hole left behind from a sandstone concretion. They can form nearly perfect spheres. They are generally harder than the material they form in and can weather out. 

Ok, I used my laptop camera to make photos, rather than wait for me to update the old laptop. The stone is a blueish green color, because I sent a sample of this type mineral to have an assay done in Ridgecrest, CA. This was done years ago, by an assayer who Jim Straight claimed to have used back when he was a mining consultant. It is a type of amphibole, I believe the chemical formula on the assay, contained magnesium, iron, aluminum silicate, with the hydroxyl radical. Anyway, according to the assay, this mineral can be found in certain western costal ranges, many places in Japan. found commonly in association with Jadeite. I'm thinking it was a sodium amphibole instead of calcium.

WIN_20181227_18_15_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181227_18_15_45_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181227_18_15_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181227_18_16_22_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181227_18_16_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181227_18_16_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181227_18_16_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181227_18_16_58_Pro.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I've got one the same type stone with similar markings, but the hole is almost a diamond shape. I thought the hole at first glance was like the diamond symbol the NAs used to represent Wakan Tonka or medicine man. Closer examination, it's more of a perfect V shape with 3 angles attached to the V. The hole is cut straight down, even smooth about 3/8".